Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Fish casserole?

I BBQ/steamed some tilapia and veggies on the grill and set it aside in the fridge. I forgot about it and decided to make something where I could use it all and not let it go to waste.

2 lbs of cooked tilapia
    1 cup of cheese- your choice. I put shredded mozzarela (sp?)
    2 cups of cooked veggies-I had sliced zucchini, onions, green beans.
    3 eggs, slightly beaten.
    2 tbls. butter
    Crushed crackers (you could use croutons or cubed dressing!)
    salt, pepper and what ever you may like to season the dish with.

Flake up the fish, add the veggies, cheese and eggs. Add to a greased 9x9 oven dish and drop the butter on top.

Toss into a 350 oven for about 30 minutes, take the crackers and toss them on for the last 10 minutes.

-------------------

I cooked the fish and veggies in foil on the grill, you can do the same in a steamer on the stove-it saved cooking time in the oven!

The crackers were kinda bland for the dish, So the next time I try it I'll check into some flavored croutons or seasoned bread crumbs.

I put "recipes" in he search and found this thread. I found the best recipe at Wegman's and have made it twice so far. The marinade literally takes one minute to make. Make it in the morning and toss the chicken into it and leave in covered bowl in the fridge for 6-8 hours. Then bake for 2 hours. It takes planning but it is sooo good. Here is the recipe:

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...atalogId=10002

Quote Originally Posted by MoonandBean View Post
    I put "recipes" in he search and found this thread. I found the best recipe at Wegman's and have made it twice so far. The marinade literally takes one minute to make. Make it in the morning and toss the chicken into it and leave in covered bowl in the fridge for 6-8 hours. Then bake for 2 hours. It takes planning but it is sooo good. Here is the recipe:

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...atalogId=10002
    What kind of oil is "Wegman's basting oil" and what's their barbecue seasoning like?

No Wegmans anywhere near here, and brown sugar and chicken I can identify ...
    I've Been Frosted

I think any basting oil will do (The Wegmans one has some herbs in it) and the barbeque seasoning is just a brown powder. The dark brown sugar probably makes the marinade. I did find I had to use more basting oil than the recipe called for. It was too thick as was. I made it more like a salad dressing consistency.

I just made this yesterday morning. It is really good, and is even better when topped with whipped cream or even ice cream (butter pecan...yummmm)

Baked Oatmeal

1/2 - 1c. brown sugar
    2c. milk
    4 eggs
    2c. oatmeal
    1/4c. oil
    1 Tbsp b.powder
    1 Tsp. salt

Optional: cinnamon, cocoanut, dried fruit

Mix all ingredients the night before. Put in the fridge overnight. Stir again before putting into a 9 x 9 inch dish. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of batter. Bake 40 minutes at 350*.
    I make something close to that and have played and played with the recipe.. The orginal is..

Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
    A delicious and moist treat.
    55 min | 15 min prep
    SERVES 12
    1/2 cup rolled oat
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup boiling water
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons cocoa
    Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
    Mix oats, boiling water, and butter.
    Let cool.
    Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla.
    Add cooled oat mixture to sugar/egg mixture.
    Sift the dry ingredients together.
    Add to the wet mixture and mix well.
    Spread into the prepared pan.
    Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

I leave out ALL the fat (butter) and use applesauce or crushed pineapple (I use 1/2 a cup to 1 cup) for a low fat version of it. I have added cinnamon, walnuts, chocolate chips and or dired cranberries. It is like a moist big brownie and I can't get enough of them.

I am glad to see this thread brought back.. I got one to share, it is NOT mine, I have never made it but I will next trip. Just LOOK at it! It looks to die for!

Chocolate Praline Layer Cake

Ingredients:

1. ½ cup butter or margarine
    2. ¼ cup whipping cream
    3. 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    4. ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans
    5. 1 (18.25 oz) package Pillsbury Moist Supreme Devil’s Food Cake Mix
    6. 1 & ¼ cups water
    7. 1/3 cup oil
    8. 3 eggs

Topping:

1. 1 & ¾ cups whipping cream
    2. ¼ cup powdered sugar
    3. ¼ teaspoon vanilla
    4. 16 whole pecans—if desired
    5. 16 chocolate curls—if desired

Heat oven to 350F. In small heavy saucepan, combine butter, ¼ cup whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Butter and flour 2 8 or 9 inch cake pans. Don't flour the sides—just butter. Pour evenly into the cake pans. Sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs. Beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture.

Bake at 325 for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Make sure cake is done. Put a knife through the center and see if there is still raw cake at the bottom center because this is where the cake cooks last. It takes a lot of heat to fully cook this cake. Cool for 5 minutes in the refrigerator and then remove from the pans--turn the pans up-side-down so the praline runs down the sides of the cake layer. Put bottom layer on cake pan, and put 2nd layer on a thin piece of cardboard with wax paper or something that you can slide it off. It also goes on up-side-down like the bottom layer. Then cool both layers for 1 hour in the refrigerator—important!!

In a small bowl, beat 1 & ¾ cups whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.

To assemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half of whipped cream. Top with second layer, praline side up. Spread top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with whole pecans and chocolate curls. Store in refrigerator.

16 servings.
    Last edited by Laura's Babies; 07-28-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

PT'ers, does anyone use grains regularly?

I am trying to eat more appropriately. I have been eating gobs of fast food lately - expensive and unhealthy. I like couscous and rice and I am trying to use brown rice and whole-wheat pasta. Does anyone use grains like quinoa, frakee (sp?), etc? Kasha is a Russian/Jewish ingredient- maybe you've seen it accompanying beef stroganoff or as part of kasha varnishkes. I can handle that. Barley is an Eastern European food too- my grandmother used to make it as a side dish and I like barley soup. So I'm comfortable trying both of those. How do I get more grains and less junk in my diet? I I should be eating more vegetables, too. I keep instant oatmeal packets in my desk drawer at work for quick lunches.

Thank you all,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Please try this.

Serves about two people?

I don't know what to call it....except delicious?

I bought a bunch of Tilapia fillets and cooked them on the grilll...Lord, they were fantastic!

4 tilapia fillets - i guess any white fish would be as good!
    .5 bell pepper
    .5 yellow onion
    1 potatoe
    salt , pepper and what ever seasoning you like.

First,
    Slice all the veggies as thin as possible.

Grab a piece of foil-enough to roll up the fish and keep the juices in.

Place the sliced potato on the foil, followed by the fish.

Take the bell pepper and onion, put that on top of the fish, put the another fillet on top and layer on more potato over that. salt and pepper to taste.

Roll the foil up tightly and toss onto the upper grill of your bbq or grill. If you do not have an upper section? Place the packets at the edge of the grill away from direct flame.

Cook for about 20 minutes, serve the packets with lemon slices and a side dish.

Rice is nice......

When you open the packets do it over the rice! The fish 'gravy' is outta this world.

Get a loaf of hard crusty bread to sop up the juices.

It's a nice tasty dish that is easy to prep, cook and serve.

The last two days I have made pizza dough using this recipe....

http://www.recipepizza.com/doughs/pizza_dough.htm

I doubled the recipe-It calls for one tsp of yeast- a packet is 2.25 tsps, so by doubling it, I can make two batches. Each batch makes about two medium thick crust pies or two large thin crust pizzas.

I also put in two tablespoon of sugar instead of honey.

It's a great dough, easy to work with and very simple to make.

One hint?

Roll it thin- it plumps up to twice it's thickness after cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    I make something close to that and have played and played with the recipe.. The orginal is..

Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
    A delicious and moist treat.
    55 min | 15 min prep
    SERVES 12
    1/2 cup rolled oat
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup boiling water
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons cocoa
    Grease an 8 x 8 pan.
    Mix oats, boiling water, and butter.
    Let cool.
    Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla.
    Add cooled oat mixture to sugar/egg mixture.
    Sift the dry ingredients together.
    Add to the wet mixture and mix well.
    Spread into the prepared pan.
    Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

I leave out ALL the oil and use applesauce or crushed pineapple for a low fat version of it. I have added cinnamon, walnuts, chocolate chips and or dired cranberries. It is like a moist big brownie and I can't get enough of them.

Um, I read that twice, and there's no oil OR applesauce in the recipe ... how much?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    Was looking at this and Dave says to me "you are making that this weekend, right?"

I guess so!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Was looking at this and Dave says to me "you are making that this weekend, right?"

I guess so!
    So what happened?

----------

I have a "hate cooking" thing that I want to get off my chest.

I was making some instant rice, fried whatever and I was trying to see what I needed to get. On the package?

RICE-A-ROW-KNEE

1 cup water
    oil, milk

they then put the stupid pictures of the cups, (If I cannot read the writing, what makes them think I can read a pictograph that looks like to smudged dots to me?) to make sure that you know how much liquid to add to the mix.

And this is with my good glasses!

I am SO glad this thread was started. I couldn't find a couple family favorite recipes until I remembered posting them here ... and found a BUNCH of new favorites from so many others here. Thanks all!!!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I am totally stunned.

I really never ever try to cook anything more than once. If I screw it up, I really give up on it. I have tried to cook rib a few time before and totally sucked at it.

I saw a Bubbly Flay program on the cooking channel and watched him prepare a slab of ribs.

They were beef (babyback) ribs.

I got it into my head that I might be able to pull that off!

I followed the 'recipe' and DID IT!

It's more a technique-I took the ribs and put salt, pepper, chili flakes and tenderizer on them. I rubbed them well, placed them into a foil and tightly wrapped then. They went into an oven for 2.5 hours at 250 F.

When I removed them I drained the liquid into a bowl w/a hickory bbq sauce, mixed it up and put that into the fridge for about an hour. that measurement depends on how much liquid/gravy come out of the foil, about a 50:50 ratio.

I left everything cool down and started a propane grill outside.

I put the ribs on the grill and took the BBQ sauce out of the fridge-when the sauce cools the fat stays on top - skim that off and use the rest to baste the ribs as they reheat. try it for 20 minutes, on a medium grill, turning them every 5 minutes and basting as you go.

End result?

The meat fell of the bones and it didn't taste anything like the prepacked, sugary ribs you get at the store or restaurant. IF you do like a sweeter tasting rib, don't use the salt, and just baste the ribs when you reheat them on the grill with your favorite BBQ sauce, no oven juices.

I think I will make more later on in the week!

Fried Green Beans

2 tablespoons olive oil (we prefer bacon fat for taste)
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut to preferred length (we like 'em long)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 pinch garlic salt
    Salt & pepper to taste (watch the salt if you use bacon fat)
    1 teaspoon lemon zest

Heat the olive oil/fat and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add green beans, lemon juice and garlic salt. Cook until the beans are tender but still a bit crunchy, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Salt & pepper to taste. Add lemon zest over top.

------------------

I added some oyster sauce to the end of the recipe - Tonight? Some french fried onions out of the can are the next addition!!!

One thing?

I made them w/frozen beans the first time out.....fresh is better!