Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

I pulled out the frozen dough and placed it into the fridge to semi-thaw it.
    I took it out of the fridge and left it on the counter until pliable.

Dusted the board with flour and rolled those suckers out, cooked them per the recipe above.

Just as good as the fresh recipe.

Now, I just need to learn how to make a standing rib roast.....NOT!

I made homemade mac and cheese last night, never in my 47 years made it homeade before and it was so naughty and good.

I boiled the macaroni and in the meantime I melted butter in a pan and added flour and then added milk until I had the consistency of gravy. Then I mixed grated cheddar cheese and cream of mushroom soup and put it in a casserole dish, drained the macaroni and added that then added the white sauce, stirred it all up and baked it for 20 minutes...
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

caseysmom, that sounds yummy.

I've never been able to make homemade mac n cheese that wasn't all stringy and gross.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I need some advice about fried noodles.

I was messing around and had some veggies and decided to make a stir fry.
    I made the first batch with some chicken steamed rice that was left over from another meal

I fried the veggies and combined the rice and reheated the whole thing. It came out fairly well.

I thought I could go the same with some ramen noodles- I cooked the same kind of veggies, took them out of the pan and fried some noodles that I cooked and drained. Not bad.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare fried noodles?

Thanks!

LOL,

I eat tortillas by the dozen. I usually buy the store bought packages of 30 count.

Those cost about 4.50 a pack.

I think a package of flour cost me 3.29 and a can of baking powder 1.29

4.60 total. I got almost 4 dozen tortillas out of the bag. The cost will go lower
    because I am looking at a 10-25 lb bag of flour, a storage container for the flour and more baking powder.

I had a thought about adding a handful of cheese to a batch to see how they come out. I have also seen wheat and and other tortillas with sundried tomatoes added to them. I haven't priced what a 'specialty' tortilla would cost, but I can bet that it would not be that hard to make up a batch with a few twists of my own.

-----------

All the batches I have made have been halved- one half goes into the fridge and later, I was able to pull out a few premade balls of dough, roll them out-the cold dough really doesn't need a floured surface, I just pull out the chopping board and my rolling pin, heat up a non stick skillet and I have hot tortillas in a few minutes-and I am snacking!

Nothing like a hot one with real butter melted on top.

I can really see myself making a batch a few times a week now!

-----------

One thing about rolling out your own tortillas is the geographical aspect of it.

I rolled out Australia the other day, North America and Iceland.

I have seen a torilla press at a local store, but isn't that cheating?

Plus, I am looking for a saint or religious figure on the surface of any that I cook....I will let you know when it happens!

WOW!

I just made the closest thing to chop suey without even trying!

I was in the kitchen and thinking I was going to cook for the day, lunch and dinner! I was being lazy and just made this up on a whim.

Here's what you need.

8 chicken legs
    1 bell pepper
    A hand full of green beans
    1 clump of broccoli
    4 green onions
    1 cup of rice
    3 cloves of garlic
    2 tbs Soy sauce
    2 tbs chili infused oil.

I didn't have carrots or a red bell pepper for color, but you could add them to the recipe.

Prep?
    Chop veggies!

You will have to dice the chicken, but it's easier after its' cooked.

Cooking?

Take a pot and cook your chicken in enough water to cover-About 35 minutes.

Take the chicken out of the pot and put a steamer basket in and cook the chopped veggies over the same water for about 20 minutes- Take out the steamer basket and put your rice into the water-making sure that you have add more water to the broth left in the pot.

1 cup of rice needs 2 cups of water. Cook your rice for 20-25 minutes-you will get a brown rice that is so tasty you just have to add a pinch of salt to flavor it.

I let everything cool off and began the last step. I only had to dice the chicken and get the rice and veggies out of the fridge.

I took a wok and heated the oil, soy and smashed the garlic with a garlic press -making sure you keep you eye on the oil, when you heat a chili infused oil it turns into tear gas when it gets really hot!

I added the chicken I diced, the veggies and heated the rice.

You could reserve some of the chicken broth and add a little corn starch to make a gravy - that would be really good!

IT was delicious and I can hardly wait to make it with beef and add some other veggies!

Hey Richard, how do i make refried beans with black beans?? any other recipes for black beans besides soup??

My mom made this salad the other night, and I"m craving it again, but don't have the fixings for it, but it was SOOOOOO good!!!!

Grilled Cornbread Salad

6 cups roughly crumbled day-old corn bread
    3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
    1 tsp. grainy mustard
    1/3 C olive oil
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed, drained
    4 slices crisply cooked bacon, crumbled
    2 ripe tomatoes, diced
    2 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded, diced
    1 each , thinly sliced: small red onion, cucumber
    ¼ C chopped cilantro
    1 tsp. salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place crumbled corn bread on greased baking sheet, bake until crunchy, about 7 minutes.

Wisk together the red wine vinegar, mustard and olive oil, set aside.

In a large bowl for serving, place the beans, the diced tomatoes, the diced avacados, sliced onion and cucumber, and the chopped cilantro. Toss lightly to mix.

When ready to serve, add in the corn bread cubes, and the bacon, salt and pepper. Drizzle the vinegrette over the top and toss lightly to coat.

Serve immediately and thoroughly enjoy!

We had this the other night with french onion soup as a dinner. It was sooooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Hey Richard, how do i make refried beans with black beans?? any other recipes for black beans besides soup??

!

I am not a huge black beans fan. I think I have had them twice in my life.

To refry them?

LOL, I tried to figure out, for the longest time, why the are refried when they are fried once!

Grab a can or make a pot, grab a skillet, some lard-you can use oil-BACON grease will rock your world- drain the beans setting the broth aside.

Toss the beans in to the hot oil and start to smash them with a tater masher.
    Add the broth to get them to the consistency you want.

It's the same recipe for pinto beans. You can add cheese to them after you mash to get them nice and thick for burritos or tacos. Again, use bacon grease to get them started.

Pig grease goes good with everything- I swear to god this is true.

People in Mexico use lard to smear on a baby's bottom to help with diaper rash.

I love black beans, but am not a fan of the brown refried beans that are served in most restaurants. Those are pintos? I'll remember to stay away from those cans cause I didn't like them. Unless they taste better unmashed?? I remember having these purplish refried beans a year or so ago, omg.... they were heaven!!! I think you said then they must have been black beans. If they were, I have to figure out how to make things with them. The cornbread salad kicked butt. I could have eaten the entire bowl myself. And I love black beans on nachos, I just don't know what else to do with them besides those little things.

I have to laugh. I went to my mom's house to root around the larder for stuff to make for Thanksgiving. I came across a can o' black beans.

I really laughed!

I also went to the Asian market on Wednesday to buy some stuff. I got oyster sause, sweet chili sauce, glass noodles, ginger, tea, wasabi shrimp chips, a huge bottle of soy sauce and some bok choy! I saw the baby bok choy and thought of Ms Hoppy and her love of the veggie.

I thought that I have bought about 40 dollars worth of stuff, but it came out to be 21 dollars. I purchased most of the stuff on sale. I love the oyster sauce and those we 99 cents a bottle!

-----------

I got daring and made a tray of stuffing with the bok choy! I am waiting for it to cool down to see if there is any difference from regular celery!

This year was the third year that I have made our turkey and this year's was surprisingly good. I always expect a disaster but was very pleased with the results. I am not a fan of the dark meat but I have to say that it is the tastier part of the bird and has won another convert!

I will let you all know how the Turkey Chow Mein comes out!

LOL, I have to really start paying attention what I cook!

Richard, I just made the refried black beans. Not too shabby there, dude!! The bacon fat is heaven in it!! I added salt, pepper and adobo seasoning to it, as well as some garlic.

It's still not that same color that I saw at the one mexican place in New Hope. Those beans were more violet in color (a blue purple color).

I'm saving my mom and dad some of these beans, as they love refried beans. We'll see what they think about the bacon flavor and the fact that they're black beans.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Richard, I just made the refried black beans. Not too shabby there, dude!! The bacon fat is heaven in it!! I added salt, pepper and adobo seasoning to it, as well as some garlic.
    Like WTF?

Are you doubting my culinary stylings?

You know what you next project is? Making them from scratch.!

I am stumped about the purple bean color, so I looked on the 'net and....There are purple wax beans, Royal Purple beans and Purple Pintos.

I have an idea that they are a "gourmet" or "vegetarian" fad. The purple pintos look like they are what you had at the restaurant. Soemtimes they crossbreed food and come up with a hybrid that ends up as a regional/seasonal/specialty offering.

Could you find out? Making a pot o'beans is really easy.

Buy your beans, wash them and rinse-Year ago you had to look for stones and dirt among them, They have cleaned up the packaging process since then, I haven't come across any for a while- Dump them into a pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and add water as you go along. The 'soupiness' of the beans depends on how much water you add. I like more beans than water, so I go easy. Then you can mash them.
    Experiment with the salt and add the seasonings AFTER you cook them and before the mashing...
    IDEA? Add cooked bacon and use the drippings for you mashing. Double the flavor!

I guess bacon goes with MANY things. Not just everything.

The restaurant doesn't have a website, but it's called the Blue Tortilla. They do refried black beans.... so how did they get them that color?? It better not have been food coloring, cause that is just wrong, lol!

I'm trying to find a recipe for Red Velvet Cake. For some reason I want to make it, it's so cheery looking. I just am skeptical about it not having enough chocolate flavor, and using so much food coloring. I'm not a fan of food coloring.

I made some tortillas with chimichurri sauce on them the other night.

I have a pizza stone so I stuck that in the oven, preheated it and did this...

I took some tortilla dough rolled it out and put it on the stone.

When it cooked-about three minutes on one side, I flipped it, slathered the sauce and some cheese on it and cooked it for another 5 minutes.

I took them out, let them cool and had them as a 'appetizer'. They were spectacular- Really good stuff......I am going to make another batch in a while!!!!

Try it!

They rocked!

Help!

I want to BBQ/pit cook a pork roast.

Does anyone have any hints/tips/ideas?