Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    She seems to have fallen off the face of the earth!
    I will try emailing her, and see if she's okay, and if that email address still works for her.
    I've Been Frosted

Okay, I am having a slight recipe emergency!

I am making a pumpkin pie (not my usual homemade) with a can of Santiam pumpkin. I am making it according to the recipe on the back.

My problem: it calls for 2 12 oz. cans of evaporated milk and I only bought one! I don't know if there is a substitute (I am concerned about sacrificing taste and/or texture) or if I could just omit the second can entirely. I have added that can, but have not added the eggs yet, and it already seems soupy (plus, I do not have a second shell). Any suggestions?

How many oz. is the pumpkin??

That's a lot of evap. milk for 2 pies. Wow.

This is from the Libby's site. I usually buy Libby's pumpkin if I don't have fresh.

This is for one pie... so maybe 2 can of evaporated is right?

Ingredients:

* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
    * 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
    * 1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell
    * Whipped cream (optional)

Directions:
    MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

NOTES:
    1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin spice may be substituted for the cinnamon, ginger and cloves; however, the taste will be slightly different. Do not freeze, as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.

FOR 2 SHALLOW PIES: substitute two 9-inch (2-cup volume) pie shells. Bake in preheated 425° F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F.; bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until pies test done.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    How many oz. is the pumpkin??

That's a lot of evap. milk for 2 pies. Wow.
    It was a one pound and four ounce can of pumpkin.

Indeed! That's what I thought!

So, that's 20oz total. Well, the Libby recipe has a 15oz can, and only 1 can of evap. I think that would be plenty, and if you needed to thin it out, you could add a bit of regular milk. I think 2 cans would be making pumpkin soup!

Cilantro (Coriander) Chimichurri

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS FINDING CORIANDER IN YOUR REGULAR STORE TRY TO FIND A THAI OR INDIAN MARKET IN YOUR AREA.

6 garlic cloves
    1 cup cilantro-coriander
    1 cup flat leaf parsley
    .5 cups chopped white onion
    2 TBS whine wine vinegar

.5 TSP dried oregano
    .5 TSP red pepper flakes
    .5 TSP of sal
    .5 TSP groud black pepper
    .5 CUP Extra virgin olive oil.

In a food processor finely pulse garlic-add everything else except the oil and salt and pepper-while adding the oil in a thin stream, blend until smooth.

Salt and pepper to taste. into the fridge for one week.
    Makes one cup enough for 6 steaks

One serving-no serving size noted-140 cals,14g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1g protein, 2g carbs, Ig fiber, 150mg sodium

-----------
    You can use as a marinade, serving sauce or as a spread on bread-
    I love this on french bread, toasted lightly.
    Last edited by RICHARD; 09-19-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Richard, I love cilantro but I am confused what do I do with it the sauce, put it on the steak, cook the steak, cut it up and put the sauce on it?
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Richard, I love cilantro but I am confused what do I do with it the sauce, put it on the steak, cook the steak, cut it up and put the sauce on it?
    It's up to you.

You can marinade a steak in it. or use it as a 'side' sauce if some people do not like coriander-you can marinade and add more sauce, or as part of an 'appetizer' with some bread and cheese.

Experiment with how long to marinade the meat, for me a few hours.

You can take a loaf of french bread, slice it lengthwise, slather the sauce on it, wrap it up in foil and either grill or toss it into the oven for about 10 minutes. If you grill it watch it carefully. depending on the heat-5-7 minutes a side.

Take it out, slice it into pieces and serve with a cheese and olive plate.

----------------

It's great stuff and if I have it in the house I will use it as a sub for mayo or mustard on a sandwich. Grab some ham and sharp cheese, salami or any spicy Italian meat -

You can dress some tomatoes, cucumber and onions with it. Mozzarella balls?
    Awesome salad.

It's NUCLEAR on french bread while you have spaghetti..

It's really an all around sauce/condiment.

You could probably think of another million ways to serve it.

I like to make my own pizza and always try goofy things for toppings.

JIFFY makes an instant pizza dough mix-It takes .5 cups of hot water with some mixing and kneading-it's pretty easy to do!

I read on the label that you can adapt the 'recipe' by making some pizza bread sticks by adding cheese and some herbs to the mix.

I took some Italian seasoning and some pizza spices and ran them thru a grinder-It's a coffe grinder that I use to grind spices with. I mixed that into the crust mix and was really surpirised!

It did make the dough cook nicely and it had a really good taste and texture to it! I noticed that there were no uncooked spots in the dough, the crust crispy. I would have added some basil and a little sprinkle of salt on top.

The recipe asked you to precook the crust for a few minutes before you add the toppings-If you can find one, get a pizza stone. The box says to put the dougn in a greased tin to cook it. I just take a paper towel and put some oil on the stone before I toss the crust on!

I figured out that got a medium/large ham and cheese pizza for about 7.00.

I didn't have some of the other stuff-olive, mushrooms and veggies to make a pizza like I wanted, but for the effort and the 35 minutes it took to cook it, it was well worth the time.

---------

For the sauce on the pizza I use a canned/flavored spaghetti sauce. I add some more flavor by adding more dried herbs. I love it better than the 'sweet' sauces you get on a delivery/store bought pizza.

anyone got a good recipie for chicken salad? since the power outage, i cooked all the chickens, and now i'm down to the last 2 breasts, so chicken salad. we've had the chicken ON salad already..i've got dried cranberries, mayo canned pineapple and chicken, any advice for amounts?
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

DUDE!

I just tried to make tortillas again. I had tried before with pretty crappy luck- I bought a bag of flour, followed the recipe on the back and CHA-CHING! THey were really good. I like to bake cakes and cookies but this was a realy treat to find out that I can make a decent tortilla!!!!!

A co-worker told me about this...tried it yesterday, it was super easy and they were actually really good...

Pumpkin cookies

You just combine one package spice cake mix and one can (15 oz) pumpkin. Drop by spoonfuls and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. That was the recipe, I actually added one egg and some chocolate chips as well, because you can't have pumpkin cookies without chocolate chips.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    DUDE!

I just tried to make tortillas again. I had tried before with pretty crappy luck- I bought a bag of flour, followed the recipe on the back and CHA-CHING! THey were really good. I like to bake cakes and cookies but this was a realy treat to find out that I can make a decent tortilla!!!!!
    Wow! Way to channel your ethnic heritage, dude! Care to post the recipe? And technique hints ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Wow! Way to channel your ethnic heritage, dude! Care to post the recipe? And technique hints ...?
    And don't forget dumb luck!

This is the recipe for one dozen FLOUR tortillas.

I use a flour called La Pina- I am not sure if it is available in all areas of the country, but if you do find it, it has a picture of a pineapple-the 'pina' on thr front.

I will go into a story right here about the old bags of flour. You could purchase large amounts in cotton bags, in the day. My mom told us that the bags were emptied, washed and underweaer was made from the fabric.
    Honest!

Recipe!

3.5 cups of flour.
    2 tbs of baking powder
    1 tbs of salt-LOL I made them with kosher salt-does that make them Jewish tortillas?
    .5 cups of lard
    .75 or 1 cup of water.
    -----------------
    You really need the lard-i don't think it would work with regular oil!

Mx all dry ingredients in a bowl.
    Take the lard and incorporate it into the dry with your finger tips until mixed.
    Then add water and continue ti mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The water is a more or less thing-you'll know how much you need.

KNEAD FOR 5 MINUTES!!!

Roll into a log and cut into 12 balls, place into the bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave for 15 minutes.

---------------------------

Preheat a griddle or pan-medium heat- a nonstick one will do nicely-DO NOT GREASE OR SPRAY.

Dust your rolling surface with flour and place a dough ball on it.

Using a rolling pin, start in the middle of the ball and work you way our from the center. The thinner the tortilla the crispier and faster it will cook, the thicker ones are softer, and require more time to cook-you have to experiment with the time- About 40-55 seconds on each side.

After the initial flip you can press down on the tortilla with a folded cloth to 'set it down'- have another cloth folded in half and place the warm tortilla in the fold to keep warm-

Hand made tortillas, just like home made bread are to be eaten quickly. they do get hard if you leave them out, but a quick reheat on a gas flame or griddle will make them pliable again.

I did freeze some ready made dough to for later, I'll let everyone know how THAT turns out!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 10-16-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: adding .gif of product