Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Here it is:

Uncle Mac's Banana Bread
    (his name was Ovide McCarthy, he was a friend to animals, fixers of engines and all things mechanical, and beloved of children!)

Cream
    1/2 cup shortening (butter)
    with 1 cup sugar

add
    4 ripe bananas
    1 egg

sift together
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    add to first mixture

add walnuts (enough) if you want

bake 1 hour at 350 degrees in a loaf pan, test the middle like a cake (poke a toothpick down the middle, when the toothpick comes out clean, it's done!) (The actual time depends on how wet the bananas were.)

For best results - share!

Karen, I'm going to challenge you to a banana bread duel.

Here's mine:

1/2C vegetable oil
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 very ripe bananas
    2C flour
    1tsp baking soda
    1/2tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp salt
    3Tbl milk
    1/2tsp vanilla
    1C sugar

Beat oil and sugar. Add eggs and banana mash. Add dry ingredients, milk, vanilla. Grease and flour pan, bake at 350 for an hour.

Originally posted by Miss Meow
    Vio, yum yum yum, who cares what you smell like after those meals! We don't have a lot of those ingredients but I can start checking some heritage seed and herb nurseries for lovage etc. Or book the next plane to Chisinau
    Nicole, what exactly you don't have except lovage, maybe I can suggest a substitute. Anyway, you can skip lovage in that soup or add some other strong flavored herb. Some people use savory or basil (I have a strong allergy from basil). I hope you have parsley

Karen and Soledad - YUM!! Many thanks both of you - I'm going to be baking this week-end!!! Off now to buy BANANAS!!!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Test running

In an hour we will know more. We will know then whether the website I found to change cups in grams (how do you fill butter in a cup?) and Fahrenheit to Celsius did ok.
    I left earlier at the office because I felt I must bake banana bread right now. I checked every supermarket on my way home (ca. 20 miles) for ripe bananas and now it's in the oven.
    I started with Karen's recipe because I did feel better about the butter than about the oil.
    I changed very little (it will be difficult to sell me a recipe so that I change absolutely nothing ). I added a little lime juice to the bananas. Maybe next time I'll skip the walnuts, add lime juice and rhum and call it Jamaican Banana Bread.

Karen you skipped 2 important informations (maybe because you have a bunny:

You must first wipe the cat hair out of your big baking bowl.
    Then you must wipe the cat hair out of the baking pan (it stands in a closed drawer under the oven where the cats NEVER get in but it seem to be impossible here to take something from the dishwasher without finding a reminiscence to TigriFiluzi there.

Re: Test running

Originally posted by Barbara
    I added a little lime juice to the bananas. Maybe next time I'll skip the walnuts, add lime juice and rhum and call it Jamaican Banana Bread.
    Barbara, you are too funny Jamaican Banana Bread??? I think I'll try that too
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

7. how do you fill butter in a cup?)
    Normally I take great pride in my culinary ineptness but...I know the answer to this question!!! (I am so excited!)

My mother would make pie crust from scratch and my only kitchen chores was to help with this.

Let's say it required 1/3 cup of shortening or butter. I would fill the cup up to 2/3 with water and then spoon in the shortening or butter. It would displace its weight. Pour the water out and voila ---1/3 cup of shortening!

(Of course an alternative is to look at the measurements marked on the stick margarine wrapper!)

Yummy!

You cannot imagine how it smells here! SUUUUUper-YUMMY!

I hope you believe it if you see.
    (I will have to wait for te final check at least another half hour )

BTW: Sara I always knew you're a genius!
    But can you believe it: around here the sticks of butter are marked with grams

How fun! I can imagine the smell of your kitchen from here! As for your note, the bunny fur tends to stay on the rug, it doesn't get into the baking bowls/pans, which are high up on shelves anyway!

Re: Test (And a Banana Saving Tip)

Then you must wipe the cat hair out of the baking pan (it stands in a closed drawer under the oven where the cats NEVER get in but it seem to be impossible here to take something from the dishwasher without finding a reminiscence to TigriFiluzi there.

LOL Barbara!! But, Barbara, isn't cat fur a condiment in your home? Another well known ingredient? I hate to say how many time Dad has given me a disgusted look as he removed a 2 inch long black hair from his mouth!! And he won't buy it when I try to tell him it's his!! Doesn't happen often, neatniks, but it does happen!

BTW - that looks gorgeous!!!
    And, a banana saving trick : I buy them a lot, and when they strat to turn, I freeze them - just pop the whole banana into the freezer. Take them out and thaw (they'll be very soft - which is fine for your purposes) for cooking or blender drinks - milkshakes, mostly, with strawberries & vanilla ice cream.
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Test successful

It tastes as yummy as it smells. And not only we love it...
    Nicole: Filou said, Tabasco has told him Banana Bread is VERY GOOD for cats:

12. I love banana bread (and have been known to bake it....sssshhhhhh) but no one else in my house likes it so I have to eat the whole thing!

I can smell your bread from here! Have you tried the other recipe yet?

Re: Test running

Had to chuckle at that one, Barbara, as when I went to clean out for my move, I found Golden Retriever and cat hair an inch thick in the drawer under my stove. YUCK!!!

Re: Re: Test running

Originally posted by Logan

Had to chuckle at that one, Barbara, as when I went to clean out for my move, I found Golden Retriever and cat hair an inch thick in the drawer under my stove. YUCK!!!
    ROFLMAO at that one!! Oh, no - maybe I'd better check my stove drawer. Ack!
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

This a very very bad thread!!!!!!!! Everytime I read a new post I get just starved! I just warmed up a huge piece of Peach pie in the microwave that was given to me and I had it in the freezer!!!
    Warm pie with ice cream!

This is a good time to ask if you have "pot lucks" where you live? Or do you ever go to restaurants and have buffet meals? I like this sometimes but - I rather leary about eating peoples food I don't know at pot lucks. Silly I know.