Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

My uncle grew them in his garden for years - but I've never looked for them in stores. Perhaps they're just in "fancy" grocery stores ...

Ok here ya go I've got one but it's a beverage and it is non-alchoholic so do not worry or else a 12 year old would not be posting it:

Dr. Nog
    (makes 48 servings)
    4 quarts commercially prepared eggnog
    1 bottle(2 liters)Dr. Pepper
    ground nutmeg(optional)

Combine eggnog with Dr. Pepper. Pour into puch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Pretty simple.

Dyed-To-Match-Punch
    (makes about 60 servings)
    4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    5 1/2 quarts water
    2 cups bottled lemon juice
    2 cans(12 ounces each) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed, undiluted
    food color(optional)
    1/4 cup hot water
    1 bottle(i liter) ginger ale, chilled

In a large container, combine sugar, water, and lemon juice; stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemonade.To color punch, dissolve a few drops of food color in hot water; add to punch. Refigerate until serving time. Pour chilled punch into punch bowl. Add ginger ale just before serving.

This can also be created as slushy punch. Just make the recipe(without ginger ale) ahead of time and store in freezer. Thaw to slushy consistency before serving, then add ginger ale.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Does anybody have a recipe for a Mexican stuffed chilli? I had it once at an authentic Mexican restaurant and it was a big mild green chilli, stuffed with maybe cream cheese and some other things. Vague I know, but in the small hope
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Miss Meow/Nicole -

I'm almost positive the recipe you want is Chili Rellano. It's a mild chili stuffed with cheese and baked. Mom loves it, but I'm allergic to it... I'm sure I can find the recipe, and will post it here unless someone beats me to it.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

this is a good thread! I have a few recipes to share, and will try to post them in the near future... in a week or tow, have to get
    them all together! my mother and grandmothers were/ are good cooks! and there are some recipes posted on here I can't wait to try!

Originally posted by lynnestankard
    We have them on sale over here in the UK 0- perhaps it's a European veggie?

Lynne
    According to the info I got from the link I found, they are not artichokes, and are a native north american tuber or root.
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Chiles Rellenos

Originally posted by AmberLee
    Miss Meow/Nicole -

I'm almost positive the recipe you want is Chili Rellano. It's a mild chili stuffed with cheese and baked. Mom loves it, but I'm allergic to it... I'm sure I can find the recipe, and will post it here unless someone beats me to it.
    I have a recipe for them, and they are my FAVORITE Mexican food. And believe me, we cook serious Mexican here! My neighbors are always bringing over a "plate" when they barbeque - carne asada, refried beans, Mexican red rice, guacamole and fresh salsa: mmmmmmmm!! Muchas gracias, Maria y Rafael!!!!

About those rellenos: The idea is that this is a stuffed chile. Could be a popper, for all we know! But, no - a really great chile relleno is made with the long, mild green chile (skins and seeds removed) stuffed with casero or jack (or both) cheese (we use jack cheese, casero makes Dadcat sick!), battered with a thick egg batter and deep fried.

Mom made great ones, but I always had trouble getting the batter to stick the way she did it, and she didn't deep fry them. I had a friend who made them in a casserole, still my favorite, as the batter really makes the chile!! I'll get a couple of recipes from a couple of local Mexican friends who do them right and post them - remember, the ingredients really make the difference! BTW, I bet you can get those chiles canned, I know we use them that way here a lot for carne verde (beef strips sauted with lots of chiles, onions and a few tomatoes.)

For now - here's how Mom would do one, and you can increase it according to how many chiles you are making:

Scorch the skin on a mild green chile, remove.
    Make a slit from the stem half way down the side, and remove the seeds.
    Fill the center of the chile with a piece of jack cheese (or any Mexican cheese you like, stay away from sharp cheese, tho) cut to fit the inside of the chile, but loosely.
    To batter them, she would first roll them in flour, then dip them in a mix of egg with a little milk long enough for the flour to moisten, then roll them in flour again. The idea is to create a pretty thick egg based coating.

Then she'd drop them in a preheated hot skillet, turning them once the first side "crusted". They would puff slightly when they cook, making the yummiest battered chile!!

Cook them to a fluffy, golden brown, and the stems stay in as handles.

They are soooooooo good - if you get them in a restaurant, they are good if they aren't oily. Too many places deep fry and don't properly drain and dry them.
    Spencer's Mom

Chilli chilli hey!

Thank you AmberLee and Kohala, that must be the recipe!
    I can't wait to make it soon.

Kohala, I love authentic Mexican food, which we don't get in Australia. I am going to start picking your brains for your favourites

*bump*

What's up folks? With Thanksgiving around the corner here in the USA, I thought I'd see soem new posts.

Hmmmmmmm?
    Spencer's Mom

Ok Kohala!

Riveside Pumpkin Dessert
    1 large can pumpkin(3 3/4)
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 t cloves
    1/2 t ginger
    1 1/2 cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups light cream (or evaporated milk)
    1 pkg. yellow cake mix
    1 1/2 cubes margarine
    1 1/2 cups nuts
    Beat all together. Pour into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish.

Sprinkle cake mix over top & pour 1 1/2 melted margarine over mix. Sprinkle
    1 1/2 cups nuts over top. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or more, if needed. Insert knife or toothpick to tell when done.

Cut into 18 squares. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
    Sandy Frost

Sandy Frost - boy does that ever look good.........but it is after 10 here - a little too late to start baking!!

Does the pyrex dish need to be "prepared" (greased and floured?)

Dessert

I don't know I just got the recipe from a friend &
    she just got it from someone else. And we have not tried it.
    Sandy Frost

Originally posted by kohala
    What's up folks? With Thanksgiving around the corner here in the USA, I thought I'd see soem new posts.
    Well, here are a few recipes from what I will be serving for Thanksgiving!

Stuffed Onions

4 large onions (about 3/4 pound each)
    1/4 cup cream
    Salt and pepper
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    1 1/3 cups mashed potatoes
    1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese plus enough to sprinkle

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
    Cut the top 1/2-inch from each onion, peel the onions, and with a melon-ball cutter scoop out the centers, reserving
    the onion pieces, leaving 2 layers of onion or 1/3-inch-thick shells, leave the bottoms slightly thicker. Chop and
    transfer the reserved onion pieces to a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish. Drizzle the broth over them, and arrange the
    onion shells, inverted on top. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake the onions in the middle of the oven for 45 to
    50 minutes, or until the shells are just tender. Remove and reserve the shells. In a sauce pan, mix the chopped onion
    pieces, the cream, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook mixture until thick and boiling. Remove from heat
    and mix in mashed potatoes and 1/2 cup of cheese.
    Stuff onions with mashed potato mixture. Back in oven for 35 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle more cheese
    on top. Serve hot!

Asparagus Casserole

1 can of Long Asparagus
    1 1/2 cup mushroom soup
    5 tablespoons bread crumbs
    1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 can onion rings

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    In mixing bowl mix mushroom soup, bread crumbs, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Arrange
    asparagus spears in casserole dish. Pour soup mixture over asparagus. Cook in oven for 50 minutes or until
    Bubbly and semi firm. Remove from oven, cover with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and 1 can of onion
    rings. Put back in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and serve hot!

Did you know asparagus can grow a foot in height overnight? That's why asparagus pickers have to stay out all night in case the little green shoots of yumminess get too big. And that's why we should eat lots of asparagus because someone went without ZZZZZs so we can eat it. Yum yum yum Thanks Doggies for the recipe!

Stuffed Onions!!

Oh, yummie!! I am definitely trying that one. I LOOOOOOOVE onions!!!!!
    Spencer's Mom