Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

I have been craving lasagna for the last month and a half.

I saw this recipe on the web and tried it.

http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/b...lasagna-141256

I made a few changes to the recipe- I added some sliced mushrooms, thinly sliced zucchini and ricotta cheese.

It was easy, fairly quick to put together and pretty tasty.

I would add a touch of Italian seasoning to the sauce. The canned stuff was kind weak.

have fun.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I tried a new recipe yesterday. I like it a lot. It's called:
    Cranberry Salad

One 8 oz can crushed pineapple - drained
    one can whole berry cranberry sauce - I used this but and going to make it with the jelled type next time as I don't care for the seeds.
    2 cups mini-marshmallows
    2 cups whipped topping - I used half of an 8oz container - thawed

mix the cranberry sauce and pineapple together, add the marshmallows. Then fold in the whipped topping.
    Chill for 2 hours before serving.

If you add chopped walnuts, it would taste just like a dish my step mom made for Thanksgiving every year. I like it either way but better without them.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spaghetti Pie

http://www.recipe.com/spaghetti-pie-1/

I made this last night and it turned out awesomely good. I'm doing low carb so I used Dreamfields low carb spaghetti.

I used a whole egg instead of egg whites and ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese because that is what I had in the fridge.

I didn't have any mushrooms or green peppers so I didn't put them in. I used a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce and sort of smashed them down a bit.

I had leftovers for lunch today and it was even better than last night.

Sort of fun to make too.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cr...he/Detail.aspx

I have made this twice and its turned out awesome both times. I subbed spinach for green pepper and added an extra egg. And used a deep dish pie crust. Definately one I will keep going back too.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

and I've made this too -
    its good and convenient and can be made to suit your taco taste. I cheated and used the Steam fresh rice bags the first time I fixed it.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...co-ricee2809d/
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Philly cheese steak

One of the finalists on "Next Food Network Star" yesterday made a Philadelphia cheese steak sandwich wrapped in a burrito. It looked delicious- gooey, messy, and yummy

Which got me thinking: What's on a Philly cheese steak sandwich besides the steak? (Bell pepper? Onion? Tomato? I think I'd like it with a slice of tomato under the melted cheese.) What kind of cheese do you usually find on the sandwich-- is it cheese whiz or can I use real cheese? Do you toast the roll first? Is it on a hoagie roll, or can I make it with good Chicago Italian bread? Do they use a meat cutter to get the steak that thinly sliced? The finalist's wrap looked really good to me and I think it would be easy to prepare, but I'd also like to have it as a traditional sandwich some time.

I'll just be over here in the kitchen making... Chicago style hot dogs! I know what to put on those!

Thank you,
    elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

A favourite.

Warm asparagus and potato salad

Ingredients
    600g new potatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
    1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into short lengths
    5tbsp olive oil
    1tsp clear honey
    2tbsp cider vinegar
    1tsp Dijon mustard
    ˝ bunch spring onions, trimmed and sliced diagonally
    4 large free-range eggs
    1 packet baby gem lettuces
    50g Parmesan shavings

Steps
    Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and put in a large bowl.
    Add the asparagus to another pan of simmering water and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and add to the potatoes.
    Whisk the oil with the honey, vinegar and mustard, then season. Add the spring onions to the warm potatoes and asparagus. Pour on the dressing and mix gently.
    Poach the eggs. Divide the baby gem lettuce between 4 plates. Pile the asparagus, potatoes and spring onions on top, and add an egg and Parmesan shavings to each.

Blog Entries

Tartar Sauce

Please make Homemade Tartar sauce

1 cup mayonnaise
    2 finely chopped dill pickles
    1 finely chopped sweet gherkin
    2 or up to 5 sweet pickled onions
    1 tsp of dill weed (fresh is good) dry will do
    1/4 tsp. onion pwdr.
    1/8 tsp garlic pwdr.
    squeeze of fesh lemon to taste

This is so excellent ya gotta taste it. I can never eat store bought Tartar sauce cuz it's very unpleasant. xoxox

Tried a new experiment the other day that came out so yummy, I figured I should share it! This serves one, but you can scale it up or down according to your needs, it was just such a yummy combination of flavors that worked well!

Tarragon Chicken and Asparagus
    Take a chicken breast - or whatever chicken part you want, and sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and then liberally with tarragon on each side. Place in a greased dish, and bake in a 350-degree over for 20 minutes or so (depending on how thick the chicken is, I use a boneless skinless breast, so 20 minutes will do fine.

Set a pan of water to boil. I used a bow tie pasta, but any pasta that takes less than ten minutes is fine.

While the water is heating, wash your asparagus, enough stalks, your choice, I did about 7-8, I think, and snap it into about one-inch chunks. Discard the bottoms, and set the top pieces aside. When the water is boiling, add your asparagus except for the tops. Set the timer for 7 minutes, you can add your pasta at whatever point you need.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, dump about 2 tablespoons of cream, a teaspoon or more of tarragon, and about a half cup or more of shredded Parmesan - depending on how cheesy you like your pasta. Cut the cooked chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, add that to the bowl.

When the timer goes off, add the tips, and reset the timer for 3 minutes. At this point, test, and your asparagus should be done, as well as your pasta. Strain, dump into the bowl, and stir it all together.

Add more salt and pepper as desired, if desired - depends on your personal taste, and how salty that particular Parmesan is - the stuff I had was a really good one that was naturally salty, so I didn't need much more.

Then enjoy! It was a nice combination - the asparagus and chicken and tarragon all played off each other quite nicely!
    I've Been Frosted

Hey guys, If any of you are on facebook and want to join a recipe exchange page check out this one. You can request recipes or post your own. I have posted several myself.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Karen, that one sounds yummy, and easy. I must try it!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Blueberry slump

There's been a conversation in Thursdays (#546) about blueberry slump. I thought it might be like a brown betty, but it's not. I found this on Taste of Home Web site.

Ingredients

•3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    •1/2 cup sugar
    •1-1/4 cups water
    •1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
    •1 tablespoon lemon juice
    •1 cup all-purpose flour
    •2 tablespoons sugar
    •2 teaspoons baking powder
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •1 tablespoon butter
    •1/2 cup milk
    •Cream or whipped cream, optional

Directions
    •In a large heavy saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, water, lemon peel and juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
    •Meanwhile, in a large bowl,combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk quickly; stir until moistened.
    •Drop dough by spoonfuls onto berries (makes six dumplings). Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Do not lift lid while simmering. Spoon dumplings into individual serving bowls; top with sauce. Serve warm with cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cool, I wonder if this is the one Lady's Human found? We expect reports back ...
    I've Been Frosted

A question for bakers. I have a cookie recipe that uses cake flour. So I have a box of Swans Down cake flour on hand that is almost full, except for what I took out for cookie dough. Should I keep it at room temperature, or should I refrigerate or freeze it? Does flour "go bad"? It's my mom's recipe and we usually make a batch for Christmas. I made them for a shower, so I'm now the lucky owner of this nearly-full box of cake flour. I am not a good baker - Pillsbury slice-and-bake is more my style. Maybe I'll just take the whole box over to my mom. I'm sure I won't be using cake flour anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    A question for bakers. I have a cookie recipe that uses cake flour. So I have a box of Swans Down cake flour on hand that is almost full, except for what I took out for cookie dough. Should I keep it at room temperature, or should I refrigerate or freeze it? Does flour "go bad"? It's my mom's recipe and we usually make a batch for Christmas. I made them for a shower, so I'm now the lucky owner of this nearly-full box of cake flour. I am not a good baker - Pillsbury slice-and-bake is more my style. Maybe I'll just take the whole box over to my mom. I'm sure I won't be using cake flour anytime soon.
    It can be kept at room temperature, as long as it in a dry place. Doesn't "go bad" I have never had that happen, and I only use it every couple years, probably!
    I've Been Frosted