Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Amazing thread. A lots of good recipes are there. Thank you to all for giving that such a good and healthy recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Instant oatmeal is best if consumed instantly. Just saying' ....
    Karen, do you make non-instant oatmeal? How do you prepare it? I've read that you can do it in the slow cooker, but when I've tried I end up with a pasty, gloppy mess. I like to eat breakfast foods for supper and instant oatmeal is one of my favorites because it's hot and fast.

Thank you,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Karen, do you make non-instant oatmeal? How do you prepare it? I've read that you can do it in the slow cooker, but when I've tried I end up with a pasty, gloppy mess. I like to eat breakfast foods for supper and instant oatmeal is one of my favorites because it's hot and fast.

Thank you,
    Elyse
    I usually make instant oatmeal, but also have made regular oatmeal in the microwave, follow the directions n the Quaker Oats container, and adding in raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon - yum! And doesn't take very long!

1/2 Cup of Oats
    1 3/4 cup of water
    5 shakes of cinnamon or so
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    a handful of raisins
    1 dash of salt

Put all in a microwave-safe bowl, store, microwave for 1-2 minutes, then stir again, and let cool for a minute so you don't burn your mouth then enjoy!
    I've Been Frosted

I made a beer can chicken last night and it was the best one yet.

I have a holder that I bought someplace that is a basic wire cage, that I put on a cookie sheet - you can look up "beer can chicken roaster' and see different models, some are like small bundt cake pans that will catch all the juice from the chicken as it cooks.

(the drippings make a good treat for a dog - mixed into a dry plate of food!)

You can use beer, water or stock in the can, I shoved a few celery stalks, dill and water into the can along with the giblets..

I washed and used a paper towel to dry off the bird - here you can take some salt, pepper or whatever seasoning you like and put it into the cavity of the bird - then grab some oil - your choice- and rub the outside of the bird and before you put the bird on the beercan stand, sprinkle the skin with your choice of dried herbs......I used a garlic/rosemary seasoning. Stand the bird up and put the holder on a cookie sheet.

Check the bird to make sure he won't flop over - because I don't have a simple BC holder, I have to put it on a cookie sheet to catch the drippings - I would put ANY holder on a sheet, just in case.

Preheat the oven to 375 and roast that sucker for about 2.5 hours.

------

When you pull him out, let it rest for a few minutes - you may not have to carve him up - the bird fell apart rather easily.

Then enjoy.

(IF you like the crispy skin of a chicken make sure that you carve him up, that way you can lay claim to the best part of the the bird.......)

Reposted from the Thursday's thread, just so it is in a searchable part of Pet Talk!

Chocolate Graham Yummies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Cream together:
    2 sticks of butter
    3/4 cup sugar

Mix in:
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanila

until light and fluffy.

In a small bowl, mix or soft together:

3/4 cup white flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour (hence the "graham" in the title)
    5 tablespoons cocoa powder (1/4 cup plus 1 more)
    3 tablespoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

Add this to the wet mixture, mix thoroughly. It makes a very soft dough, so throw it in the fridge for a few minutes to =harden up if necessary.

Form spoonfuls into 1" rough balls. Set on an ungreased baking sheet 2 inches apart, and into each one, push:

1 mini marshmallow - only about halfway in, don't push hard.

Bake for 11 minutes, marshmallow should be lightly browned. LET COOL on the tray a couple minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Remove from the tray with a spatula, as they are soft when warm. (If you don't, they fall apart very easily.)

Cool, enjoy!

If you pushed one marshmallow in too far, and it basically all melts into the cookie, you can always put another one on top of that spot and rebake that cookie for 5-7 minutes, to brown the new one!

When cool, store in an airtight container, and they'll keep well. Dunno how long, they've never lasted long enough without getting eaten!

(I had a bag of unused mini marshmallows, and didn't want to throw them in brownies - that would be too heavy for a summer service, so this is what the experiment lead to.
    I've Been Frosted

Latest experiment - people at church adore my shortbread cookies, so I always try different variations. okay's ended up even more of a variation than normal, and the interesting part was the dates I chopped and added turned crunchy when baked - I expected them to be chewy, but they were crunchy! Who knew?

Date Spice Sweet Shortbread:

Cream together
    1 cup butter (2 sticks, softened at room temperature is easiest)

Add:
    1 cup confectioner's sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all that together, then add:

2 cups flour

and then

2/3 cup chopped dates

Pat dough together if necessary (depends what temperature your butter was at when you started) then roll out to about 1/4" inch thick, cut into shapes (I just used a round cutter, with the dates in it, you need something with a sharp edge). Cutting into squares with a knife also works fine - keep the shapes small, as the cookies are rich and delicate.

Place on an ungreased cookies sheets

Bake for 20 minutes at 350° F - let cool or remove with a spatula - they are fragile when first out of the oven.

Then enjoy!
    I've Been Frosted

Simple frosting:

Ingredients:
    1 stick of butter, softened - room temp is fine
    1 box Confectioner's sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

a glass water or milk - you'll add a tablespoon or so at a time.

Into a big bowl (mixer or food processor), cream the butter - just beat it all up. Add the vanilla, about half the box of confectioner's sugar, and a blurp of water. Beat that all in on high, then keep adding more sugar and water until you get about the right consistency - if it gets too stiff, add a bit more water, etc.

Makes enough for one layer cake and sides, how many cupcakes depending on how thick you put it on! It will harden/dry out just on the surface and keep at room temp for a while - overnight or until he cupcakes or cake is all gone - never kept any around long enough to test how many days!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    A favorite of mine - great for summertime dinners, BBQs, or just any old time. Simple to make and super yummy!

3 Bean Salad

1 can (15 oz) drained cut green beans
    " " " wax (yellow) beans
    " " " kidney beans

1 bell pepper - chopped
    1 onion - chopped
    1/2 t celery seed
    1/2 t black pepper
    1/2 t salt (optional)
    3/4 C sugar
    1/3 C salad/vegetable oil
    2/3 C vinegar

Place beans, pepper and onion in bowl. Mix seasonings, oil and vinegar. Pour over beans and marinate over night.

This is just the basic recipe - you can add other kinds of beans to it such as butter beans, black beans, or other veggies such as shaved carrots or finely diced celery. You may need to make up more of the marinade if you add more ingredients too - depending on how much of the extras that you add.

ENJOY!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Blog Entries
    This is an old Canadian recipe from the prairies. It's easy and excellent. Please make sure to butter the pan well. preheat oven to 350

Butter Tart Slices

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup flour
    2 tbsp. icing sugar
    Mix and press in 8x8 inch pan

Topping

1 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1 cup raisins
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    2 eggs
    Mix together and pour over base. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    This is an old Canadian recipe from the prairies. It's easy and excellent. Please make sure to butter the pan well. preheat oven to 350

Butter Tart Slices
    Wow, that looks really yummy! Will have to try that when the urge to bake hits!
    I've Been Frosted

A woman in my walking group told me that butter tarts are unknown in many of the States. I don't like them, but they are a wonderful caramel-raisin treat for many!

This is a recipe called Canadian Butter Tarts from a BBC web page.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...n-butter-tarts

Recipe from Good Food magazine, July 2003

Ingredients

• 375g pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry (or 375g/13oz homemade)
    • 2 large eggs
    • 175g light muscovado sugar*
    • 100g raisins
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 50g butter, room temperature
    • 4 tbsp single cream
    • 50g chopped walnuts

* a dark, unrefined brown sugar. Apparently it contains more nurtrients. I think most of us in the Great White North would use brown sugar.

Method

• Preheat the oven to fan 170C/ conventional 190C/gas 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface so it’s slightly thinner than straight from the pack. Then cut out 18-20 rounds with a 7.5cm fluted cutter, re-rolling the trimmings. Use the rounds to line two deep 12-hole tart tins (not muffin tins). If you only have a regular-sized, 12-hole tart tin you will be able to make a few more slightly shallower tarts.
    • Beat the eggs in a large bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients except the walnuts. Tip this mixture into a pan and stir continuously for 3-4 minutes until the butter melts, and the mixture bubbles and starts to thicken. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Don’t overcook, and be sure to stir all the time as the mixture can easily burn. Remove from the heat and stir in the nuts.
    • Spoon the filling into the unbaked tart shells so it’s level with the pastry. Bake for 15-18 minutes until set and pale golden. Leave in the tin to cool for a few minutes before lifting out on to a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Tummy Pleasing Maple-Pumpkin Custard - gluten, dairy and low-carb

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/tum...n-custard.html

Maple Pumpkin Custard (Gluten-free, dairy-free & low-carb!)
    (Serves 6)
    1 1/3 c. coconut milk (use light if you prefer)
    1 c. pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
    1/4 c. grade B maple syrup
    1 tsp. stevia powder (or eliminate and increase to 3/4 c. maple syrup)
    3 large eggs (room temp)
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. clove
    1/4 tsp. ginger
    1/2 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Heat up water for a hot water bath. [for roaster in oven later on]

3. In a small saucepan, scald coconut milk over low heat.

4. Beat eggs and maple syrup/stevia in small bowl. Slowly whisk into coconut milk in small amounts (or temper egg mixture by adding spoonfuls of coconut milk into small bowl until eggs reach the same temperature as coconut milk. Then add the egg mixture into the saucepan.)

5. Whisk pumpkin, spices, and salt in a small bowl. Add into saucepan and blend well.

6. Pour about 3/4 c. of mixture into ramekins (it should make 6). Place ramekins in a large enough roasting pan and fill pan with hot water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

7. Carefully place pan in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until custard is mostly set but the center still jiggles when shaken.

8. Let cool on a wire rack. Enjoy warm or refrigerated with your choice of toppings (nuts, ginger, coconut ice cream)!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/tum...n-custard.html

Maple Pumpkin Custard (Gluten-free, dairy-free & low-carb!))!
    Now now, not everyone's tummy needs dairy-free gluten free stuff! I wonder if this could be made with actual milk - skim milk, instead of coconut milk ... at least they say you can skip the Stevia by using more syrup!

Thanks, bumping up this thread reminded me - I want to try that Butter Tart Slices recipe - and there's a chance to bring a dessert for next week's church service, and as it is Worldwide Communion Sunday, it would be fun to bring a Canadian dessert!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, that gluten-free pumpkin whatever recipe was written that way. It did say you could eliminate the Stevia and add more maple syrup. I just might try it!

This isn't a recipe, just a comment. A co-worker introduced me to Honeycrisp apples a few years ago. They're more expensive than other apples but I really like them. A little tart and a little sweet. My mom and dad were at the supermarket over the weekend and bought Sweetie apples, which I think are a fairly new variety. Yummy! So those are now my two favorites- Honeycrisp apples and Sweeties. I don't need honey, peanut butter, caramel apple dip or anything else to go with them. I know I'm getting old because I cut my apples into sections to eat them now instead of just biting in.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678