Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

My sister's neighbor has a pear tree in her backyard, so she brought some pears to my sister. My brother remembers that our great-grandparents had pear trees on their property and my great grandmother used to can the pears. My niece doesn't like pears because they are "gritty". I don't especially like fresh pears because I've never gotten good at selecting a ripe one. I like canned pears, though. Maybe I should go to Whole Foods and try the organic pears from their produce aisle. Maybe I'll just have an apple instead. How do you choose a good pear?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Smell and feel, though they might have issues with poking one with your thumb. Most of the commercially sold pears have to sit a while to ripen, as they're shipped almost ripe. A really ripe pear will bruise very easily. (They also leave juice running down your shirt!)
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It can be kept at room temperature, as long as it in a dry place. Doesn't "go bad" I have never had that happen, and I only use it every couple years, probably!
    I always keep flours and sugars and the like, in airtight containers. They must seal and be air tight, or they will eventually get buggy. I don't care how much you clean - if it sits in your pantry or in a kitchen cabinet - you will get bugs/weevils in it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I always keep flours and sugars and the like, in airtight containers. They must seal and be air tight, or they will eventually get buggy. I don't care how much you clean - if it sits in your pantry or in a kitchen cabinet - you will get bugs/weevils in it.
    Must depend on where you live! My cake flour is in its original box, so a cardboard box with a plastic/wax bag inside it, and I have never had any bugs in it! My normal staples - sugar, flour, whole wheat flour - I use often enough so they are in metal canisters.
    I've Been Frosted

Must depend on where you live! My cake flour is in its original box, so a cardboard box with a plastic/wax bag inside it, and I have never had any bugs in it! My normal staples - sugar, flour, whole wheat flour - I use often enough so they are in metal canisters.
    Maybe the further south you go, the more susceptible one is to getting those bugs. Weevils are the worst. Yuk! I can remember when I was a kid and living in RI, my mother kept the flours and sugars in regular canisters that sat on the kitchen counter, and they didn't have lids that sealed, and there were never any bugs in any of it. That never worked here as I learned from experience. Some of the critters around here would try to carry the whole canister off!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

My co-worker made these over the weekend for a party and brought the "leftovers" to work. Yum!

Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
    Yield: 10 - 12 strawberries (depending on size)
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 pound large strawberries
    8 ounce block cream cheese, softened
    3 – 4 tablespoons powdered sugar (depends on how sweet you want the filling)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or use almond, lemon, etc. )
    Graham cracker crumbs

Directions:
    Rinse strawberries and cut around the top of the strawberry. Remove the top and clean out inside with a paring knife if necessary. If you want to stand your strawberries upright, slice a bit off the bottom. Once strawberries are prepped, set aside.

Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla with a mixer or by hand. Add cream cheese mix to piping bag and fill strawberries. Once strawberries are filled, dip the top in graham cracker crumbs.

You could also drizzle or dip strawberries in chocolate if desired.

Store left-overs in the refrigerator.

(Edited to add: If I ever make these, I would very lightly sprinkle the hollowed-out strawberries with just a touch of granulated sugar before filling them. I might just cut the berries in half instead of trying to hollow them out, too.)

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Have you been checking out my kitchen, Pom? Such a frustrating problem. I buy small quantities of sugar, rice, flour and dry cereal because everything gets "buggy". I buy oatmeal packets instead of the round containers, too. I have to be so careful and wrap or bag absolutely everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Have you been checking out my kitchen, Pom? Such a frustrating problem. I buy small quantities of sugar, rice, flour and dry cereal because everything gets "buggy". I buy oatmeal packets instead of the round containers, too. I have to be so careful and wrap or bag absolutely everything.
    Yes - I have to seal everything here. If I don't use air tight storage containers, then it gets bagged. I bag (a gallon zip-lock bag) things like Bisquick that come in a box with an inner cello/plastic bag. I just put that inner bag in the zip bag, and put that back in the original box. If I have too much flour that all won't fit into the air tight, I just leave the excess in the flour bag, tape it closed, and put that in a zip bag. I could go on - but you get the idea.

I have to practice "preventive medicine". I've had to throw out way too many buggy products over the years. It's such a waste to do that - and it's so easy to prevent it.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Smell and feel, though they might have issues with poking one with your thumb. Most of the commercially sold pears have to sit a while to ripen, as they're shipped almost ripe. A really ripe pear will bruise very easily. (They also leave juice running down your shirt!)
    LH, I was at Meijer today and they had PEARS! Seckel pears - small and green, they were $1.69 a pound and pre-packed in 2 pound bags. Comice pears, $1.69 a pound and they were loose. And red pears (Bartlett?), 79 cents a pound. They also had strawberries for $2.59 for the pound plastic box, which is cheaper than the other chains. they also had "pluots" -?? whatever those are. I will go back on the weekend because I need to hit the produce aisle. Need bananas, a lemon and hopefully zucchini if they have it. They also had the first batch of Honeycrisp apples, but they were $3.49 a pound. So I'll wait on those because the price will come down before the season ends. Meijer is a Midwestern chain with stores in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. I like their produce quality better than Jewel and it is less expensive than Dominick's (Safeway).

Ohio PTers, I have a question. The lunch special in the cafe at work today was "Southern Frito Pie". I thought Frito pie originated in Ohio along with walking tacos... am I wrong? I love chili. Some day I hope to try making the Cincinnati version with allspice and Worcestershire sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Ohio PTers, I have a question. The lunch special in the cafe at work today was "Southern Frito Pie". I thought Frito pie originated in Ohio along with walking tacos... am I wrong? I love chili. Some day I hope to try making the Cincinnati version with allspice and Worcestershire sauce.
    as far as I know it probably is the walking tacos we have here are made with Doritos but I have heard of them made with Fritos.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ito-chili-pie/
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    as far as I know it probably is the walking tacos we have here are made with Doritos but I have heard of them made with Fritos.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ito-chili-pie/
    That's funny - I had never heard of these! I guess they hadn't made it this far east - of course I have not been to a high school football game in more than 20 years!
    I've Been Frosted

That's funny - I had never heard of these! I guess they hadn't made it this far east - of course I have not been to a high school football game in more than 20 years!
    they have them here at our Fairgrounds and some of the local mom and pop gas stations
    also great to make when there's a party

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    they have them here at our Fairgrounds and some of the local mom and pop gas stations
    also great to make when there's a party
    Wow - I definitely have been missing out! Of course, I am allergic to the beans, so could not indulge anyway, but still, a fun concept!
    I've Been Frosted

Wow - I definitely have been missing out! Of course, I am allergic to the beans, so could not indulge anyway, but still, a fun concept!
    actually the ones I have had don't use chili - they just make taco meat - which i prefer b/c I'm not a big bean fan