Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    actually the ones I have had don't use chili - they just make taco meat - which i prefer b/c I'm not a big bean fan
    Maybe next time I'm in Ohio, we'll have to have some together, then!
    I've Been Frosted

PT foodies, what are capers? I know they are a plant, specifically a bud from the plant. I had chicken piccata over the weekend and, of course, there they were. What's the flavor of capers, anyway? What else can you do with them beside chicken piccata? My mom has a jar of capers in the refrigerator, but it seems as though she uses only a very few at a time. (she mostly makes half of a given recipe nowadays since it's just her and my dad, so that may be part of it- if you use a small amount in a recipe to begin with, and she is using even less)

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

They are nasturtium buds, pickled basically.
    I've Been Frosted

Elyse, I use them when I make Wiener Schnitzel... put a little of the juice in the sauce and some capers on top of the meat, after it's done, along with horseradish. So yummy!

You can also put a few in a tuna salad and you can also sprinkle them on a pizza. The first pizza I ever had was in Switzerland and it had capers on.

Can't think of any more recipes right now - just had breakfast.

Here's one recipe (quite a large portion, but you can make half). There are countless other recipes for it:

* 280 grams of tuna (2 cans)
    * 200 grams of shunning, 0.2%
    * 120 grams of pickled gherkins (4 pieces)
    * 60 grams of onion (small)
    * 2 tablespoons capers
    * 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    * 1 tablespoon tabasco
    * 1 lemon
    * Salt and pepper
    Last edited by Randi; 11-05-2013 at 09:11 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

capers are used in a lot of italian dishes. They are not always 'pickled' they are often salted. Capers are quite strong in flavor. They are often called caper berries. Wiki explain them quite well. capers

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Another recipe containing capers:
    Prepare a garlic butter with lots of basil in it (mixing the soft butter with finely diced garlic and the basil cut into fine stripes (what you call a chiffonnade )). (about 1 stick for 4 persons)
    Grease an oven-proof dish with normal butter.
    Take some fish fillet, salt it and pepper it and put it in the dish. Put flakes of the garlic basil butter all over it. Sprinkle with capers, olives and lemon juice and cook it in the pre-heated oven (350 F) until it is done (which depends on the thickness of the fish, for most 10-15 minutes will do). It is a nice mediterranean recipe that does not need a precise amount of ingredients and which is not much work but lots of aaws and oohs.

@Randi: what is "shunning"?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    @Randi: what is "shunning"?
    Good question, Barbara! In Danish it's called "Skyr" - I have never used it myself, but I think it's similar to Creme Fraice. I've used Mayonaise, though.

Google won't translate Skyr.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Wow - nasturtium buds! Who knew! My dad grew the flowers - beautiful - and used the leaves in salads. Very peppery!

Interesting word, "shunning". All I could find was this: "There's a word called shun, which is the expression of the perfect seasonal time for something -- it could be a few days or a week a certain ingredient is in shun."

So - a seasonal seasoning? I look forward to finding out. Words are amazing!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

German wikipedia explains that Skyr is an icelandic milk product and could be substituted by yoghurt or by German Quark which is not the same thing as the particles the world consists of

Thanks, Barbara! And here are some pictures of it....

https://www.google.com/images?q=skyr...A&ved=0CCgQsAQ

just thought of this. Most everyone has had pizzaiola of some sort. Steak (thin sliced veal filet normally) pizzaiola is very popular and on menus pretty much everywhere in Italian restaurants. Capers are used in the pizzaiola (sauce). It is so not the same without them and I am not a fan of capers at all.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Well, I just sent the Mayor a recipe, and figured I'd post it here.

For years, our mother made meat stuffing to put in the turkey at Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, the recipe was never (to my knowledge) written down, so it had to be reconstructed by taste. It took a bunch of absolute failures to recreate, but here it is:

Meat stuffing

1/2 lb ground pork

1 lb hamburger

2 onions, diced

3 medium potatoes

1/2 tsp sage

1 tsp cloves

2 tsp ground allspice

1 1/2 tsp salt

Pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp)

First, saute the diced onions in butter. When they're almost translucent, add the pork, and cook until the pork is almost cooked. Then add in the hamburger, and cook until done.

Cook the potatoes however you want, boiled or microwaved, and mash them. Add the spices into the potatoes, then mix thoroughly with the meat mixture.

If you're not using it as stuffing in a bird, I'd recommend baking it at 350 in a casserole for about 1/2 hour to make sure everything is cooked completely.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Well, I just sent the Mayor a recipe, and figured I'd post it here.

For years, our mother made meat stuffing to put in the turkey at Thanksgiving.
    And before Ma made it, it was our Grandma - Dad's mother, so I have always suspected it was some French Canadian tradition - and she just told Ma how to make it one year, nothing written down!

It is really yummy, and I looked forward to having some every Thanksgiving - and Christmas!
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Hot buttered rum

My friend Penny passed this family receipe on to me. I haven't tried it yet.
    I asked her why the quantities are so large. She advises that she makes a huge batch and freezes them in pretty, freezer containers (like Tupperware) and gives them away as gifts.

If you make it, let us know how it turns out.

Using mixer, mix 1 lb. brown sugar and 1 lb. of softener butter together until fluffy
    Add:
    1 lb. powered sugar
    1 quart of vanilla ice cream
    Nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice (to taste) – probably a teaspoon of each
    Mix well.
    Freeze.

When ready for a toddy, heat your mug, add a big scoop of above mixture, spiced rum (LOTS!) and finish w/hot water.

Drop in a cinnamon stick, sit back and relax – two of these are the best sleep drug there is!!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Peanut Butter

Does anyone here make their own? Recipes please!

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/why...ter-again.html

1 big handful of roasted peanuts
    1 teaspoon peanut oil
    Honey to taste
    Kosher salt to taste
    Put everything in the food processor, and blend coarsely or well.
    Five quick minutes, and you get fresh, rat-hair-free peanut butter. A delicious thought, indeed.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda