Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claudia's Not Feeling Well

Claudia's Not Feeling Well

On June 10th I took Claudia to the vets to have her anal glands expressed. The vet shaved her and also gave her a 3 year rabies shot and her distemper shot as well. Last night when I got home from work she wasn't out and about like normal. I just shrugged it off thinking she's just irritated with me or one of the other cats. I kept going in to check and see if she was out or not and she wasn't.

I went to bed and I heard her come out to eat and she was sounding stuffy and I could hear her breathing while trying to eat.

She always sleeps on my pillow with me so she came up onto the bed and she was sneezing and got down and wouldn't come to me. She eventually came up but then this morning went to hiding underneath the bed again.

I checked on her during my lunch hour today and she still isn't out.

My poor girl just isn't feeling well and I'm not sure if this a result of her getting vaccinated or not.

Please say a pray for her that she feels better soon.

Melissa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early Jan 2010 (19).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	45563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid March 2010 (32).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	45564  

Melissa, it may very well be the distemper shot. After the last one, I told my vet NO MORE for Pinot, and with her reaction, the vet agreed. Call the vet, explain the symptoms; they may not be able to do that much, except put your mind at ease. Keep us updated! Prayers for Claudia!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I am sorry to read that your Claudia is not feeling well. Like Pinot's Mom, I, too, have stopped the distemper shots. But this is a bit longer than the reaction our cats had to the shot. Our dear Raven had problems after a rabies shot. May I suggest that if she does not improve, back to the vet, and have her liver enzymes checked......a pray for you both!
    Nine is Fine!!

Prayers for her quick recovery, poor girl!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm sorry to hear that she's not feeling well. I'd also bet that's a reaction to the shots. Some cats don't do well when both are given at the same time or even have bad reactions from having either one of them. My Sky had two terrible reactions after having the distemper shot and it actually made him have URI symptom's. I had to take him back to the vet to get medicine for him and the vet didn't even charge me for the visit because he felt bad about it. After the second time, I just stopped this shot. I hope she'll feel better soon. Prayers and positive thoughts are on being sent her way.

Sounds like she might be coming down with a URI. Try heating her food up a little. That'll get her taste buds going and make her hungry.

I don't over vaccinate my cats. Face it. How many times in a person's life do THEY get vaccinated? Once. Why is it cats have to be done every 3 years. You'd think they'd build up immunities to some of these diseases. It could just be a reaction to the vaccinations. Keep an eye on her. Make sure she gets lots of water and does become dehydrated. You can even try adding water to canned food in order to supplement their water intake.

Claudia will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I am so sorry Claudia is not feeling well.. Hope she gets to feeling better soon.. All Paws Crossed.. Claudia your just a Sweet Darling Adorable Baby..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I called the vet and she didn't think it would be a reaction to the medicine. She is thinking it might have been because of the stress at the time. She hates the vets...poor girl.

I'll see how she is tonight poor thing.

Melissa

How is Claudia now, Melissa? Better, I hope.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    How is Claudia now, Melissa? Better, I hope.
    Mary-

Thank you for asking. No she's actually not doing any better. I was hoping she would be by now but it looks like I'm going to be taking her to a vet tonight. It's a long story about my vet but I'm finding another one, she's been seen next door to where I work so I'm hoping I can get her in there but we'll see if not I have a back one.

Thanks!
    Melissa

Update: I got an appt. for her at 11:30 a.m. so I'll have to take an earlier lunch at least it's close to my work but I hope this is nothing serious. I just hope I can get her, right now she is very upset and won't come out during the day, I'm going to go in the house and open up a can of can food and hopefully she will come out.

If I can't get her they have an appt. at 4 p.m. or I can go to another vet at 5:40 p.m.
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 06-21-2010 at 08:39 AM.

I'm sorry to hear that she's still not feeling well. I hope that the vet visit will go well. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty

How is she doing any update? I hope they can do something...I have never seen any of my kitties react like that to vaccine...Makes me think? Are the yearly vaccines really necessary? I mean they NEVER go outside. Would the only risk be if they found a mouse? Is that a normal way to give rabies every 3 years?

I will keep you and your kitty in my thoughts and prayers.....

*I've been Boo'd*

HI All-

Sorry about the late response. I had Claudia to the vets yesterday, it was a trip just trying to get her out from underneath our bed. I had to take it apart to get her. When the vet came in I told her what's been going on, how she got the distemper shot and rabies shots on June 10th and then on June 15th started developing the sneezing, eye drainage, etc.

She examed Claudia and I also pointed out how her one nostril looked really inflammed and it scared me. She say that a few red flags go up when she sees this because it's just one sided.

So she took a que tip and swabbed her nose and stained it. The vet said she didn't see anything that would suggest that there is a tumor or anything like that but she did say that she could have a polyp or there might be an underlying tumor or something like that.

She told me to start her on the clavamox I had at home and then to put a few drops of saline solution in her swollen nose 2 - 3 times a day.

I gave her, her pill last night, she was a champ about that, the saline solution on the other hand didn't go well.

I gave her her pill this morning and the saline solution in her nose, it went a little better this morning.

I'm just going to keep an eye on her and hopefully in a week or two the swelling in her nose will go down and she won't need to have an x-ray done.

Please continue the prays for her.
    Melissa

Prayers continue, I hope this works out for her!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I hope that she'll be a good girl and let you continue with the saline solution. I've tried this with Sky in the past and things just didn't work out and it stressed him so much that it just wasn't worth it. If she continues to fight you then you could also try a vaporizer. You could put her in a carrier and then point the vaporizer towards her. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.