Thread: help with overseas traveling..

help with overseas traveling..

I´m going waaaaay ahead of things here.. but there´s this slim chance we could be moving by the end of the year... yeah I know.... and the chance is it may be overseas this time.. it still just in the air right now.. but considering I´d like to be informed with plenty of time if it does ever happen.. and if not well.. knowing stuff is not gonna kill me either.. lol

I need to know what do I need.. in order to move.. especially pets involved.. not sure what documentation etc I might be needing.. I know for sure teh wabbits are not going if it happens.. (they wouldn´t fly them nationally, even less internationally) but what about doggies.. is there quarantine periods? any paperworks I´d need to fill in?..

then I also have the much dreaded school/house thing... and how to move all the furniture and stuff.. with how much time ahead should I do that..

like I said I´m thinking waaay ahead in case it´s a go... so don´t worry... yet.. lol.. the prospect would be around England
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Isabel, for the dogs you will need a pet passport. Basically it is a document that is submitted by your vet to the minister of (I think) foreign affairs. They will have to have a rabies shot no more than 30 days before. If you will be going to the UK there is a 6 week quarantine and you will be responsible for all expenses for the dogs while in quarantine. You can find international movers such as DHL and many others who do furniture, boxes, etc. They can be expensive. We shipped some stuff to Italy and it wasn't much. Weight was around 200 lbs or so and it cost us 1600 plus we had to pay a customs fee when it arrived. You will have to check with your vet to be sure what is needed in case things have changed. And same goes with the movers. But this is what we had to do from Canada to Italy.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

England has a 6 months quarantine as they have no rabies on the island. Most folks rehome dogs and cats rather than put them through this. I can't recall if you are allowed to visit them during the quarantine or not.

Far as I know, England, well, UK really, is the only European country still with an animal quarantine. But I could be out of date.

OK, your question is pretty vague right now, and as your target seem to be England for now, I won't start giving you vague information for nothing . But in case you need more specific info for France, I would be happy trying to help you.

thank you!!.. I´ll keep all those things in mind and inquire about here...

I really don´t wanna move but IF it is happening I so want to be ahead of things especially as i had no clue.. lol

thank you..
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

The quarantine website provides information about rabies quarantine in the United Kingdom for cats, dogs and other rabies susceptible animals that do not qualify for entry into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme and are required by law to spend 6 months in quarantine.

Procedures - Guidance on choosing a quarantine premises.
    Approved premises - List of UK authorised quarantine premises and carrying agents
    Welfare of animals in quarantine
    This comes from this site. It has all you need to know about pets entering or travelling to the EU or from 1 EU state to another.

6 months!! Wow! But I'd probably do it if I HAD to.

Good luck Isabel, I wish I had advice. But I can only offer moral support from California.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    6 months!! Wow! But I'd probably do it if I HAD to.

Good luck Isabel, I wish I had advice. But I can only offer moral support from California.
    There are ways around the quarantine. I have been going through that site I posted.

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) is the system that allows pet dogs, cats and ferrets from certain countries to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet the rules. It also means that people in the UK can take their dogs, cats and ferrets to other European Union (EU) countries, and return with them to the UK. They can also, having taken their dogs, cats and ferrets to certain non-EU countries, bring them back to the UK without the need for quarantine. The rules are to keep the UK free from rabies and certain other diseases.

Dogs, cats and ferrets

The UK does not permit the import of dogs, cats and ferrets that have not been vaccinated against rabies. Once they have reached the minimum age for vaccination (as stated on the vaccine manufacturer's datasheet) they must be prepared in accordance with all the requirements explained on this website, taking account of the required order of preparation.

PETS only applies to dogs, cats and ferrets travelling between the UK and certain countries and territories. Dogs, cats and ferrets must not have been outside any of these countries in the 6 calendar months before entering the UK.

Before travelling, you must make sure that your pet cats and dogs (including assistance dogs) or your ferret meets all the rules of the Scheme.

Dogs, cats and ferrets entering the UK under PETS may only do so on certain sea, air and rail routes.

Dogs, cats and ferrets entering the UK from non-qualifying (unlisted) countries must spend 6 months in quarantine on arrival. Mexico IS included in the list.

Qualifying non-European Union countries and territories

UK-resident dogs, cats and ferrets can, having travelled to any of the non-EU countries or territories shown below, can return to the UK under the Scheme. Pets that come from any of these countries can also enter the UK under PETS as long as they meet the rules. Pets can enter the UK via any other EU or non-EU listed country. Pets must not have been outside any of the EU or non-EU listed countries in the 6 calendar months before travelling to the UK.

Andorra Fiji New Caledonia
    Antigua & Barbuda French Polynesia New Zealand
    Argentina Guam Norway
    Aruba Hawaii Russian Federation (2)
    Ascension Island Hong Kong St Helena
    Australia Iceland St Kitts & Nevis
    Bahrain Jamaica (1) St Pierre & Miquelon
    Barbados Japan St Vincent & The Grenadines
    Belarus Malaysia (3) San Marino
    Bermuda Mauritius Switzerland
    Bosnia-Herzegovina Mayotte Taiwan
    British Virgin Islands Mexico Trinidad and Tobago
    Canada Monaco United Arab Emirates (4)
    Cayman Islands Montserrat USA (mainland)
    Chile Netherlands Antilles Vanuatu
    Croatia Singapore Vatican
    Falkland Islands St Lucia Wallis & Futuna
    Liechtenstein

thank you.. I´ve been reading.. adn figured what you just posted..

I can get the dog there without being in quarantine.. but need to do a few things.. which will also need to be done 6 months ahead.. so... I really can´t wait until the very last minute as hubby always does and have to do it right away in case this does happen.. and if it doesn´t well.. too bad.. haha.. the only loss will be monetary

I have to get him chipped with a specific microchip. otherwise I´d need to bring my own scanner.. then get him a rabies shot.. and get some bloodwork done.. and I guess after all that has been cleared I can get his passport and other paperwork filled..

I do need to know if the FCM (mexican AKC) uses the chips that are specified and who can put them on here where I live.. as well as the bloodwork as it has to be done by an approved lab by the UK...

phew.. so much to do.. and the worst is that I HAVE to do it now just in case.. because if we move last minute I won´t be able to comply with the time regulations.. but on the good side we will be skipping the quarantine period...

notes-to-my-husband blog

Well that's good news at least.
    But I thought you had three dogs? Do you not have the huskies anymore? Or will they be staying in Mexico with someone?

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

The kennel I work(ed) at - there was a family that moved back home to New Zealand, and had their cat do the 6 month quarantine with us. Then a company called Boomerang transport picked him up and sent him to NZ. (I cried...he was so special and such a great cat!)

Isabel, why not look up some of the pet transport companies in the Yellow Pages and ask them your questions? They certainly will know the ropes! And you can get quotes at the same time!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Well that's good news at least.
    But I thought you had three dogs? Do you not have the huskies anymore? Or will they be staying in Mexico with someone?
    I technically still have them.. but they are at my parents house (as well as my birds as airlines don´t do birds here).. when I first moved I didn´t knew where I was moving I only knew it was rental and had no yard.. with my girls needing to be separated 24/7 that was not possible.. then i got Queeq as her being a small dog I wouldn´t be dogless until I came back.. but then the whole ordeal of her getting stolen happened.. then Roger came in the pic.. then I moved again.. lol.. so he´s the only one here...

now moving (IF at all) again to who knows where I have no clue if I´d be able to take them too (yard, separate areas for both, etc, as well as cost)..

@ Catty: first LOL.. I´d be a miracle to find something like that here.. lol.. but I´ve contacted a few vets that might have experience in that, or so i hope, as they are registered vets by the FCM (mexican AKC).. then I´ll have to check with airlines.. but thanks for the suggestion.. I have seen a few pet trasporting agencies but they are in other state/country.. so will have to see if they can gelp and are not so pricey as if I do it myself

notes-to-my-husband blog

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    If you need a Pommie sitter for 6 months - just let me know..........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    I technically still have them.. but they are at my parents house (as well as my birds as airlines don´t do birds here).. when I first moved I didn´t knew where I was moving I only knew it was rental and had no yard.. with my girls needing to be separated 24/7 that was not possible.. then i got Queeq as her being a small dog I wouldn´t be dogless until I came back.. but then the whole ordeal of her getting stolen happened.. then Roger came in the pic.. then I moved again.. lol.. so he´s the only one here...

now moving (IF at all) again to who knows where I have no clue if I´d be able to take them too (yard, separate areas for both, etc, as well as cost)..
    That's what I thought and it's totally understandable. It would be more work to transport two big dogs and a small dog. And since your parents have the proper set up to keep them separate then it all works.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight View Post
    This comes from this site. It has all you need to know about pets entering or travelling to the EU or from 1 EU state to another.
    Great site, never seen that one before. Thanks for sharing.