Thread: My puppy won't eat or drink.

My puppy won't eat or drink.

We have a 6 wk old american pit . She was eating and drinking fine on Saturday when we got her. She was also playing,barking,growling and now nothing.She has lost weight and will not eat or drink and is weak.I did take her to the vet yesterday and she was test for Parvo which was negative.They gave her dewormer and are testing poop to see if there are worms.I have been forcing her to drink and eat puppy food because she keeps throwing up puppy milk. Is there anything else I need to do to help my puppy

Call the vet's office - they just saw her yesterday, so should be able to tell you what to do better than we can. Even if she is throwing up, keep making her drink some, she'll retain some of the moisture.
    I've Been Frosted

I have a friend who lost a puppy due to dehydration so this is just a thought based on ONE example:

If it was real hot when she was playing, she might have gotten overheated and dehydrated. Then, they stop eating and drinking and it's like a vicious cycle. See if the vet can give her IV fluids to see if that helps.

Take her back to the clinic

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Call the vet's office - they just saw her yesterday, so should be able to tell you what to do better than we can. Even if she is throwing up, keep making her drink some, she'll retain some of the moisture.
    They can actually get even more dehydrated, not only do they vomit the water or other fluids you give them but gastric juices as well.
    The puppy sounds like it needs minimally subQ fluids, but from the description she sounds like she may need to have an IV cath and given IV fluids.
    She should go back to your veterinarian. Did you call the breeder and find out if any other pups were sick? A reputable breeder will give you have a health guarantee? Sometimes a sudden change in diet can cause GI probs. There is so many things that can cause her to get sick, viruses, bacterial infections, toxicity, stress, etc...she really needs to be seen by a good vet. Emergency clinics are open weekends, some of the best vets I known worked in EC...so much more acute cases.
    good luck, I hope she gets well soon.
    Flo-->Adopt some critters for your Firefox browser: My gallery of Firefox skins
    Browse with the Fox

Well the best you can do is get a ... oh what is it called... it's a tuble with a "
    nipple" at the end... that most young kids use for medicine.. you but the nipple in their mouth and push this thing down and it shoot the water into their mouth. Give her liquid food and try to get her to eat Semi-moist puppy food. (if you can't find any just put some water with a squirt bottle... spray some in there and touch it and when it's a little wet try to get her to eat that) and

Remember to check the date before you post a response in a thread. This is from a couple months ago, so I am sure the issue is resolved by now!
    I've Been Frosted