Thread: Microchip question.

Microchip question.

I had Charlie chipped shortly after we got her with a ResQ chip. At the time I was told that any scanner on the market would pick up that chip. Now I know better. The universal scanners will pick up the chip, but Avid scanners (which is what the shelters in my area have) do not.

I've been on the phone with the company that chipped her today and they offered to send universal scanners to any shelter in the area that didn't have them. Great, I'll probably go ahead and do that.

BUT - I'm still thinking that it might be best to have an AVID chip inserted. My vet agrees. If she gets out and someone happens to take her say....to a vet's office where they only have an AVID scanner, the chip would not register. There's no way I can get scanners sent to every vet's office, pet store, or wherever else she might end up....She's never gotten out before, but if she did I would be crushed.

What does PT think? Should I go get an AVID chip for her? She's going in to the vet later this afternoon so I can have it done while we're already there...

Yes I so agree to on a AVID Chip.. Everyone of my babies have been Chiped with one.. It is the universal way to go..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

It definitely wouldn't hurt to have the AVID chip put in too. I know it would make you feel better in the case she ever did slip out.
    I'm not sure if you saw the thread back in July of last year when little Miss Paizly Poo got outside and spent the night in the backyard hiding from Bruce.
    I still need to get her microchipped as well.

This also raises another question for me. Zoee has a ResQ chip and Taggart has a HomeAgain chip. My vet can read both of them, but what about other places? Oh, this is going to have me worried now.

Oh, and I'd love to see pictures of Miss Charlie and Mr Jasper too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

All mine have the home again chip... Gee, this opens up the door for me to then don't it? They should ALL be universal.. chip and scanner so no matter what kind we have, anywhere they go should be able to pick it up on any scanner...

We should not have to have them loaded with chips for every brand of scanner there is out there..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thanks guys, I'm gonna get the AVID chip put in. I believe AVID and HomeAgain both operate on a frequency that any scanner should be able to pick up, but ResQ is a higher frequency. The folks at the vaccine clinic where I got her chipped apparently didn't know that. Grr.

I just realized I don't have any pictures of Charlie from the last few months, but here are a couple of older ones:

Here she is with Sherpa. I realize she's a fatty cat, we're working on trimming her down!

Love the photos!

I have 2 dogs w/AVID and one with Home Again. That was a mistake.

With AVID, you pay one time fee. And a discount for the 2d pet; and the 3rd.

With Home Again, it is a yearly fee. If you lose the dog, you report it and they send out a fax to vets, shelters in the area. If you had put a picture on file with them, the photo is a part of the fax.

I wanted them all on AVID, and my vet stopped carrying it. I SHOULD have just found a vet who did it.

When I asked on here, there were several comments about not having 2 chips in 1 dog. Let me see if I can find the thread, as I don't recall the reasoning. I just left everything as is.

OK there are 2 threads, and apparently what I put above about the yearly fee with Home Again is not totally correct, either.

If you are going to get a 2d chip, I suggest you read through these threads.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ht=marlin+avid

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ht=marlin+avid

Hmm, well, I didn't see anything that would discourage me getting a second chip, so it's in. I'm filling out the AVID registration as I type this. Charlie is such a good girl at the vet's office, I'm always impressed with how calm she is.

There's Charlie and Sherpa! I almost forgot about him! How could I?

Thanks for the pix.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    There's Charlie and Sherpa! I almost forgot about him! How could I?
    Probably because he was a butthead when you came over. If I recall he hissed at you and then hid upstairs. I'm glad to say that he's learning to tolerate new people coming over a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    With Home Again, it is a yearly fee. If you lose the dog, you report it and they send out a fax to vets, shelters in the area. If you had put a picture on file with them, the photo is a part of the fax.
    We use Homeagain at work.

From what our sales reps told us, and our literature says, your pet is always in the system even if you never add on the membership benefits. Those membership benefits do get you the faxes to vets/shelters if the pet is lost, free access to the poison control, and a host of other things, but your pet is always in the system and can be scanned even if you never upgrade to the yearly fee membership benefits.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Snakemama,

Your cats are beautiful! I had Lucie Noel Lu microchipped when she was spayed. It accidentally came out!!! I didn't bother having her re-microchipped, since she's a totally indoor cat.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!