Thread: Shedding???

Shedding???

I know all dogs shed. I have 3 right now, and have noticed that one dog, Jasper, has tufts of fur just sticking out- ripe for the picking! The other two pups have no where near this fluff.

Jasper's hair tufts are mostly on his haunches, though some on his neck...places where his hair is soooooooooo thick. Is this normal? LOL, I am sure that it is, but man-o-man. He looks kind of funny, like he is falling apart at the seams.

Yep normal. I always describe those dogs as molting. lol. It will probably happen again in the fall. A good thorough brushing and combing will take care of the tufts, although it can be somewhat theraputic to pluck them out. Or maybe that's just me.

*Thanks Ashley*

^^ I feel like I am a bird preening the dog! LOL...

How old is Jasper? This is commonly seen in older dogs. My older black lab has the same issue!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

It is also very VERY common in huskies of any age, my brother will end up with a yard full of golden fluff from Nilla, his Lab/Husky around this time of year.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Oh definitely normal. Myndi gets those tufts in her fuzzy undercoat. I just comb them out, and then it seems as tho I have enough fur to build another dog!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh yes- Karen is right about huskies, malamutes, etc! This is what people call 'blowing their coats'!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

LMAO.. that was what I was going to add.. wait till you meet a husky.. THAT is serious shedding.. lol.. pretty much how you described.. just ALL over.. lol..

I too find it... entertaining.. to "pluck".. once you start you get caught up with it..hehe

some pics would be nice to see.. of all three.. and if you add teh kitties much better
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

We believe Jasper is a young doggie...maybe around a year. The vet told me anytime after the adult teeth come in it is really guess work. You look at tartar, grey hair, puppy face features, etc. He still has that puppy look about his face. And, seeing how he leaped over a 3 foot fence as if it were an inch high...he has more puppy than dog!

Anyhow, we think he is a shep/collie mix. Photos of all three will be forthcoming. LOL. Things are a little hectic here for me.

Thank God about One Down.

Thank God my dog isn't that type. He's a Corgi and so he doesn't shed his hair like a snake sheds its skin.

Very normal. This is the time of year I used to brush Casey daily. Otherwise my house would be covered with her hair. She would shed a lot! I sometimes wondered where all of the hair was coming from. I think as I would brush some out new ones would grow in.

I have been combing the cats a couple times a week too. Mack gets combed everyday. Even though he is a short hair cat, I don't think he grooms himself like the other 3. Luckily he LOVES the comb.