Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luna: vomiting and weakness in her hind legs; very worried!

Luna: vomiting and weakness in her hind legs; very worried!

This is the second time today that I took Luna to the vet. She vomited a couple of times tonight (first her food, then liquid with grass), and when she vomited again this morning (clear liquid with a lot of grass), I took her to the vet. I was a bit worried because yesterday, I caught her eating a tiny bit of a ficus leaf (usually the ficus is completely ignored by the cats), and I thought she may be vomiting because of that.

My vet thought it was a stomach bug (her belly was soft, no constipation), and gave her an antibiotic and an anti-inflammant, and she also gave me Hill's i/d food. Back at home, Luna started begging for food, and during the morning hours, I gave her two small portions which she kept down. So far, so good.

Then I noticed something horrible: When I saw her walking, it looked strange, her hind legs look kinda wobbly, as if there was a weakness in her legs, especially the left one. Believe me, I felt like my entire world was falling apart that moment!! I watched her for a while and noticed that she was still able to jump onto the table and the cabinet without any problems, she was playing, and she's still begging for food. But her walking is definitely NOT normal, so I took her back to the vet.

The vet saw when I meant, she said it's still a mild form of weakness, and she doesn't think it's a stroke, or thrombosis. The reflexes in her legs were strong, so it's obviously no stroke, or herniated disc, the reflexes of her eyes were also okay, her heart sounded healthy, and her gums were pink. My vet thought the weakness may either be a poor blood circulation as a result of the stomach infection, or in fact a mild toxic reaction. She got a shot to boost her metabolism, it's a herbal med that's given to support the body fighting down infects, or poisoning. I hope it helps.

We're back home now, and right now, Luna is crying in front of the kitchen door because she wants me to open it, she wants to eat. Time for her next portion of Hill's i/d, I guess. I seriously doubt that this is really a stomach bug when she's THAT hungry! But whatever it is, it is strange, and I'm really worried!

Please keep my Luna in your thoughts,
    Kirsten

Keeping her in my prayers. Hope it is just a kitty stomach bug.

Hoping this is just one of those things and that Miss Luna will be fine. Good that she's so hungry. Hugs for you both. Purrs from Cali and Diego.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Oh Kirsten, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to watch our furkids go through stuff like that. You and Luna will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank you for keeping my girl in your thoughts! You know she means the world to me!

She's really hungry! She just got another portion, and she RAN to her food bowl, with her tail high in the air, and now she's begging for food again is trying to open the sliding door of the kitchen cabinet where the cat food is stored. I really realyy hope this weakness in her legs will go away!

Poor Luna
    We are Praying for Our Dear Friend and hope that whatever is bothering one of Our Truly Great Cat Ladies is gone soon.
    We wish we could bring Luna something from the King's Buffet. We bet that the Smoked Salmon and Skewered Chicken would make her smile.
    Please Get Well Little Fraulein Luna!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Kirsten, you must be relieved hearing what the vet said. It might be someting entirely different, like she hurt her leg at some point, or arthritis perhaps? Has she been very active before this happened?

It's a good sign that she is hungry, so I hope she'll be OK. Sending lots of positive thoughts anyway.

(((Hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks, Gary and Randi!

Well, I remembered that when she got her shot at the vet's this morning, she fought and for a second, she stood up on that leg. She got the shot into her butt (on the left side), I was thinking that - since she was struggling - the nerve in her left leg may have been affected (I remember that I often had a nerve pain in my leg after butt shots), maybe it's just that. However, I saw her licking that part a while ago.

Kirsten,
    You must be so worried. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Two things came to mind re: wobbling. 1) the shot location and it causing some temporary pain/nerve tingling. 2) the vomiting...maybe she is totally fatiqued by the loss of energy?

Whatever it is, prayers coming to you 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Kirsten,
    You must be so worried. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Two things came to mind re: wobbling. 1) the shot location and it causing some temporary pain/nerve tingling. 2) the vomiting...maybe she is totally fatiqued by the loss of energy?

Whatever it is, prayers coming to you 3!
    This is exactly what I was going to post. My RB Puddy had a vomiting spell and she was so weak from it that her legs wobbled and once she even collapsed. Or it could be soreness from the injection. Either way please know that prayers are going up for you both right now. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers on the way from me for you and your sweet Luna too!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks a lot, it's very appreciated!!

Well, I don't think the weakness in her legs is caused by fatigue/exhaustion from the vomiting, she doesn't look tired or exhausted to me. And she hasn't thrown up for 12 hours now. But maybe this was really caused by the injection this morning? Whatever it is, I hope it goes away!!

It might very well be a reaction to the injection there. What a relief that it wasn't a stroke or thrombosis!

Prayers and healing energies and loving wishes are sent that Luna is soon over this and back to her usual sweet self.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and ~~~~~PURRS~~~~~ from Pat and cats
    Last edited by phesina; 05-23-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks, Pat!! Well, I hope my vet is right about that!

Just saw that you're going through something similar with your Sydney. Best wishes to him!!! (((HUGS)))

Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear about Luna. Whatever is causing this, I hope she'll recover quickly. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.