Thread: Kidney failure ;[

Kidney failure ;[

My heart is breaking . My 4yr old tabby twinkie was diagnosed with kidney failure. She's really weak , drinks lots of water & is still eating which is good. She is the most attached cat out of my bunch. I love her sooo sooo much and the vet said she's very anemic. She has very low protein so thats why he doesnt want me to give her fluids because he said she was just bloat. He said in her case its really bad since shes so young and it only gets worst. I dont know what to do I dont want to put her down till I see her reallly weak where she cant even stand. She still stands but doesnt move just stays in top of my table and thats where she uses the bathroom. If i put a litterbox she will try and eat the litter. It kills me . I never put a cat down to sleep. Im only 20 years and she is one of my first pets. Any suggestions? Help? I dont know when to put her down. ? my heart is broken ;[

Here's my sweetheart ;[
    I love my cats sooo much!!.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've never experienced this with any of my cats but I have had to put 3 of my cats down before. It's never an easy decision but I feel that when their quality of life is gone then it's time to say goodbye. I would never want to prolong their pain and suffering just so they could still be with me.

Maybe you should get a second opinion about this. Hopefully something can be done to at least make Twinkie more comfortable during the time that she has left with you. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Once again, I'm very sorry.

I've had cats with chronic renal failure and also one w/acute renal failure. Puddy, the one w/chronic renal failure, was given fluids for years and it was difficult for me to know when to have her put to sleep b/c she'd improve and then go downhill again. Like your kitty, she became anemic and that affected her mind causing her to become senile. Someone suggested that I administer B12 shots to her, so I injected the vitamins directly into her bag of fluids and she improved immediately. Peeka, the one w/acute renal failure, went very quickly; after only 3 days I had to have her put to sleep b/c she was jaundiced and suffering. Since your vet said that your kitty can't have fluids, ask if s/he can give your kitty a B12 shot. It may help but, truthfully, I just don't know. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. It's very difficult, I know, but if your vet and/or you feel that your kitty is suffering, then it's time to let her go. It's the last act of kindness that you can do for her and she'll love you for it. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Don't give up yet. I never heard about a reason for not giving fluids. All kidney kitties are anemic. My Filou survives 5 years now, anemic but happy with his weekly fluids.
    There are good websites out there.
    http://www.felinecrf.com/

I hope you stil have many years with your cute girl.

Like Barbara said, don't give up just yet. She's young. My RB Mollie Rose had kidney failure. She went down hill fast, losing 4 pounds in less than 6 months. The one thing to keep in mind is whether or not your kitty is in pain. Mollie Rose was. She'd lay near the water fountain and yowl. I asked the vet if there was anyway we could make her better and he said, "I'm afraid not." She was 16 years old when I had to make the decision to have her humanely euthanized. She was my very first cat and it broke my heart. But I knew it was time and do not regret my decision.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You and your kitty will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'm so sorry to read of Twinkie's diagnosis. I agree: don't give up yet. I think getting a second opinion is a good idea. And there are a lot of good information sources and support out there, including right here on Pet Talk.

God bless you and dearest Twinkie. I lit a candle for her: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=10838236

Prayers and good energies and loving wishes are being sent to you.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and ~~~~~PURRS~~~~~,
    Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thanks for everyone advice. Unfortunately nothing worked. I tried. The vet said she was really bad. Oneday I work up and she barely opened her eyes. She wasnt moving much. I had to do whats best for her. It was so hard taking her to get put down. I stood with her through everything. We were in this together. Now she is at peace. Rip twinky I love you.

I love my cats sooo much!!.

I commend you for putting aside your own feelings and doing what was right by Twinkie (love the name!!). I had to do the same thing to a rescue who, unbeknownst to anyone, had a double fracture in her right leg, crepidus and severe arthritis in both legs. She was in alot of pain and there was nothing else that could be done.

I feel your pain Catlover34628. But putting a pet out of pain is the most humane thing anyone can do. I only wish they had euthanasia for people. I'd hate to live in such a state where I didn't have my whits about me and the pain was unbearable.

RIP Twinkie. You're in a better place now with all your friends, and are happy and healthy. Your mama loved you so, don't ever forget that.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'm so sorry. You did the best and right thing, but how heartbreaking.

Rest in peace, dearest beloved Twinkie. Your Meowmie loves you and grieves you so very much.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

In less than one month it will be a year ago I had to let my baby boy Taz go for the exact same reason as Twinky. Taz was 14 years old and it breaks my heart that you lost your baby so soon.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)