Thread: "...just like a dog!" Sheesh!

"...just like a dog!" Sheesh!

I read that phrase in so many Cats of the Day! I'm always confused about that. As a mom of (currently) 5 cats and (currently) 2 dogs, I don't understand why people think cats are doing something out of the ordinary. Maybe, even, taught the dogs? Cats are playful, companionable, smart, and loving. When they want to play, even they can suck up to get someone to throw a toy or two!

Perhaps it's because I've never had an aloof cat in my life. I put that up to how they were raised as young. I've become mom to many adult cats, who quickly warm up to become a lap cat, if not a sit-beside-me cat. Sometimes I wish they'd get off me and leave me alone!

So when you think your cat is being "just like a dog," remember they're a cat and just being ...a cat.

Just letting off confused steam...
    Christine
    Christine
    Proud & Lucky Mom of Shelby, Morgan, Bentley, Pauley, Tohsa, & Kharma, who misses Scorpio, Sunny, Winchester, Lucy, Hank, Pauley, Laddy & General

"Where there is breath, there is hope."

I also use the term kitty dog to describe one of my cats,Sky,because he's so outgoing that when people come over he comes right up to them. He loves people very much. My girls will usually hide and sometimes Pearl will come out to play with toys if you entice her enough. Ziggy can only be seen in pictures. She's such a gorgeous girl but she's very afraid of people that she doesn't know. Storm will usually also come out to be petted etc. but sometimes if he's sleeping he won't bother. Not all cats are outgoing and friendly to everyone so this is why I consider my Sky a kitty dog.

Yes lets take up for our furr purr kitty babies.. However I do have two cats that like to lick me to death like a dog does.. But yes my cats are very much acting cats.. Thanks for your point of veiw..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

LOL! I guess people say that because typically cats are known for a behavior very different from dogs. I don't think too many cats actually fetch but maybe I am wrong. I call my Buddy cat my dog now because he has taken over the duties of my dog Casey since she went to the RB last year.

Kitties let the rumor stand that they don't do tricks, but my cat walks on a leash, sits, spins in a circle, and more. He is a rescue cat, very loving with me, but doesn't like strangers.

If cats are socialized while young, they're friendly, and want to please people.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

People have a generalized notion of what a dog is like, and what a cat is like.

Folks know dogs are pack animals and cats are not. They THINK this means cats are not social; of course they are! They just hunt solo!

Cats can do Agility runs, and be trained on many commands. The broad (human) population does not realize this.

Remember, just 40 years back (give or take), there was no litter. Cats were kept in the cellar to keep mice and rats out, a window was left open and they came and went as they pleased. Often they were in the house during the day and let out at night.

Times change; just takes longer for general perceptions to keep up.

Uh Huh.

So what I'm gathering is this "like a dog" thing is based upon ignorance of those who don't know cats. Thank goodness there are kitty lovers such as we, who can inform and educate. How's that for over the top statements?

I, too, have my door greeter, my butler, my timid but lap-kitty wanna be, the lover, and some who just disappear. Until someone new is sitting down and quiet, that is. It always amuses me when someone who is so vocal about not liking cats -- and it usually turns out to be they believe cats are standoffish -- leaves my home wanting at least three of mine. It can become annoying that you can't scrape them off of you! Hmmm... perhaps it's the human's dislike of rejection....

Once again, like children, I believe cats are a reflection of their parents, environment, safety, and their own sweet personalities. Bad parents = bad, damaged kids. I'm sure you see the coorelation between any sweet and innocent soul and how they're treated! Cat, dog, bird, kid, snake, (stop me) husband, wife, neighbor, boss, Arrrrrghhhh!

But like a dog, like a cat, or like a gut instinct, (the latter I sadly, frequently squelch) if my cats don't like someone, or if they all disapper when a workman or someone comes over? That person is GONE! I trust their opinion! I need to be more ... like a cat.

Too wonderful, our babies!
    Have a good one, all.
    Christine
    Proud & Lucky Mom of Shelby, Morgan, Bentley, Pauley, Tohsa, & Kharma, who misses Scorpio, Sunny, Winchester, Lucy, Hank, Pauley, Laddy & General

"Where there is breath, there is hope."