Thread: Does your cat play with "specks"

Does your cat play with "specks"

My cats have NO toys, you know. (only piles and piles of them, in every room). No my cats have to play with specks! Sometimes it is a small carpet fiber that is ripped from their scratching post. But today it was a granule of cat litter. Yes, Ashley was absolutely going crazy for a piece of cat litter that was on the rug. She was down right hilarious!

cat toys

I had to respond to this one. I have two cats only a year each(Dawn & Slushy) who have more cat toys then some children, but they play with anything they shouldn't on a constant basis (worse then a two year old). It really is hysterical to see what fascinates them (and they probably find it hysterical to see what I will spend money on for them to play with).

Right now I hear them playing in the shower.

This morning I woke up to have the rubber stopper (or whatever you call it) from the garbage disposal in the living room. Meaning...they had to dig out this little, rubber stopper from the kitchen sink, take it out of the sink, jump off the counter/out of the sink, and carry it into the living room. After that it is boring so it just sits there (surprising it didn't end up under their favorite hiding spot for toys....under the couch).

The last few days, until the day before yesterday, it was my husband's thermos---the screw on lid. Finally they knocked the lid into the garbage disposal and when I turned it on there went the lid... now I have to get him a new lid or thermos.

Like I said, I have toys filled with catnip, toys without catnip, balls from strings, but nothing provides as much fascination as "mommy's stuff".

Toys, toys, and more toys. My cats have a full toy basket- probably 50 toys in there. Their faves are those little mice. But, what comes in close seconds? First, hair ties..I can never find my hair ties, though I know I put them on the bedside table. Earrings, oh yes, those are fun. The best is Tenny (at 17 pounds) skittering around the kitchen floor with the tiny piece of cat food. I can tell he would have been an exccellent hockey player.

Pieces of Jade plants are another fave..but it makes me madder than a wet cat!

How many little toys have I bought for Ritz? too many---althought the fake fur mousies are a favorite, only until she gnaws the tail off them, then she feigns disinterest. At night, however, she must drag all of them out, carry them to the front foyer closet and "hockey slap" them all into the underside of the closet door. It sounds like a Tazmanian devil is locked in the closet...(from Ritzy slamming herself into the door along with the mice being shoved under the door)

Twist ties, bugs, errant bits of laundry fuzz, shoe strings, things that dangle from the closet, drawstrings on sweat pants.......all are fascinating, and now that the leaves are falling, she can' t peel herself away from the back window.

She also has infinite fun with discarded boxes. I got one from Dell a few months ago and laid it on its side. Ritz carries a mousie over to the corner of it, drops the mouse just outside the box lid, gets inside it the box and "hides" from the mouse, then spends hours playing "wigglebutt sneak attack" from inside the cardboard fort

One morning she was attacking a full size bath towel!???
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

How could I forget this one...my cat's idea of a good time is to drop their toys into their water dish or if they have the opportunity...the toilet (how can I expect to train them to do anything if I can't train my husband to shut the lid).
    Sometimes they are able to fish the drenched toy out, play continues for a minute and usually the wet toy ends up on the
    floor to dry.
    The norm usually is wait for mom to fish the drenched mouse (or fuzzy ball) out of the water

Originally posted by kittymom
    .......the wet toy ends up on the
    floor to dry.
    The norm usually is wait for mom to fish the drenched mouse (or fuzzy ball) out of the water

Yes, I can relate - often the toy mice go through the "double dunk" into the water dish, then she fishes them out and drops them in the dry kibble....blech..

but, better in the dish than strategically desposited outside the bedroom door at 2am....not a nice treat for bare tootsies heading to the bathroom.

We keep the bathroom doors shut, as Ritzy also has a fascination with the "moving water"...I walked into the bathroom to find her standing up, paws over the toilet seat with head down inside the bowl just watching...from a distance it looked like she was "kitty with a hangover"....camera was not ready
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

My cat Larry loves to play in paper sacks.
    His favorite thing to to is run in as fast as he cat and hit the back side.

Hi Evenrude! Welcome to PT, and the addiction. We look forward to hearing more about Larry. What does he look like?

Larry is a one year old tortise shell tabby. I don't have a picture of him yet.

WOAH!! A tortie MALE? Something's not quite kosher here. Are you SURE?

Tilly and Nutmeg go crazy for the little mousies. Nutmeg likes to play with them on the bed at night while I'm trying to sleep!!

Bassett, however, won't really play with anything other than twist ties. Those are her favourites.

Yes to all these:

Twist ties, bugs, errant bits of laundry fuzz, shoe strings, things that dangle from the closet, drawstrings on sweat pants
    And also to this:

How could I forget this one...my cat's idea of a good time is to drop their toys into their water dish

up to the dragging the drenched toy out. Hanna deposits them on the bed!. Thankfully, not the toilet - both my BF and I are good about putting the lid down. Hanna likes to watch the toilet flushing, I'm sure she'd have her toys in there if the lid was up.

Hanna's new obsession is those little glow-in-the-dark planets, moons, comets and stars - I tacked some up on a wall because I thought they looked cool. They have been up there a few years, and once in awhile one will fall off. Hanna picks them up and plays with them - it's really funny to see her run by with a moon in her mouth.

The funniest was Abby and a packing peanut. It had just enough static to stick to her belly. She'd be going around in circles, looking for that peanut. She'd finally realize it was sticking to her belly, and she'd use her paw to scoop it off. She'd put it back on the floor to swat it, and it would magically stick to her belly again! This went on and on until she gave up with a huff of exasperation.

cats play with the weirdest things ...! sometimes it is just trash !
    This morning , Inka was trying to get into a small box (had contained cookies) . hilarious !! the box was not larger than her own size !