Thread: Miss LickAlot

Miss LickAlot

ok so my stormy has to be licking someone or something and i have tried to tell her no i even did the squirt bottle and that ended up with her chewing it to pieces and finding it under the bed.....please i would like to know how to stop it

When does she do this? Does she have water available? Anything else going on? If you offer her a chew toy, will she use that instead?
    I've Been Frosted

My dog is a licker too. She licks everyone & anything. Its never bothered me, so I've never told her no. We encourage it cause it makes us happy.

With my old dog he would lick people too. My grandma hated it, she would tell him no, squeal "ewwww" (cus in french) & swat him on the nose with her fingers. She only had to tell him that a few times until he learned that licking her wasn't that much fun. He liked her, so he obeyed her & would just lay his massive head on her lap & stare at her LOL

Other then that, no idea... sorry

they always have water and giving her a chew toy...i have tried every single toy out there and even bones they only last an hour to two hours at the most

How about a Kong stuffed with peanut butter?
    I've Been Frosted

yea that was in a million pieces when i came home....i tired the tire trick and again that was in a million pieces.....

The key is just to interrupt her when she starts licking, and break that cycle, It doesn't need to be a long-time activity. When she starts licking, distract her. Tell whomever she's licking to say "sit" or :down" or hand her a toy - anything to distract her.
    I've Been Frosted

Sunny's nickname is Licky. She will lick my sheets until they are a nice wet bed for me to climb into Maybe it's a lab thing?

Nah, it's not a lab thing, it's a dog thing. My chihuahua licks too, really annoying.

My pomeranian licks everything! Floors, couches, bed, doors, walls, people...ugh...it's kind of gross. I don't mind doggy kisses, but I don't want the couches to be wet! People have to sit there!

or when your about to go to bed and you lay your head down and your pillow is soaking wet....ya great times

Constant licking is a canine form of obsessive compulsive behaviour, check with your vet about possibly medicating while retraining.

IMO, this is a neurotic behavior. These are often the toughest to get rid of. It will likely take a lot of dedication to get this done. The first thing I would suggest is lots of exercise. Dogs must drain their energy or it will come out in neurotic ways like this. I would also suggest trying to socialize your dog well if it is not already. Those would be 2 helpful step however might not completely solve it. I really think this will take a long term plan. I would read up on dog psychology.