Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am a 7 year cancer survivor

I am a 7 year cancer survivor

Seven years ago today, on my birthday, I got a phone call that would change my life forever. I was home alone and just getting ready to walk out the door to meet my parents for my birthday dinner when the phone rang. It was my doctor's office. The nurse was calling to tell me that my doctor wanted to see me first thing in the morning. Yes, the medical tests that I had recently had done had shown that I had cancer. I remember hanging up the phone and just standing there with my purse and car keys still in my hand. I remember sitting down on a chair that was beside me and just kind of letting my purse and keys drop to the floor. I'm not for sure how long I sat there before I thought that I better call my husband at work and tell him. I can't recall that conversation at all. I then went on my way to meet my parents for dinner and to give them the news also. I can't recall that conversation either. I was feeling numb and probably in a bit of shock.

I remember taking a couple of different cancer medications, going through two surgeries and then 5 1/2 weeks of treatments. I definitely remember every day of those 5 1/2 weeks. I remember joining a cancer support group where I met some wonderful people who were fighting their own cancer battles. I remember a few of those people not winning the battle. I remember noticing that some of the people there were fighting their second battle of cancer after the disease had come back 5 to 7 years later. I remember getting it stuck in my mind that if I made it 7 years that I would then consider myself a cancer survivor.

So I am here to tell you....

I AM A CANCER SURVIVOR.

I wish I was the kind of person that had some encouraging words of enlightment or some wonderful kind of "Ah Hah" moment that I could share with you, but I have not been able to find those words or to find that moment. I hate this dreaded disease. I feel like it stole a part of me that I just can't get back. It sent my life into a downward spiral and changed it forever.

BUT, I am still here to tell you....

I AM A CANCER SURVIVOR.

Thank you to my Pet Talk friends who have always supported me! Love Ya!

Congratulations on reaching your 7 year milestone. I will be coming up on my 6th year cancer free next month. i don't know if i will ever get to the point of saying I'm a surviver without adding the number of years I have been free. My Doctors say the further you get past 5 years the less likely you are to have it come back. I will just be thankful a year at a time.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee View Post

BUT, I am still here to tell you....

I AM A CANCER SURVIVOR.

Thank you to my Pet Talk friends who have always supported me!
    Love Ya!
    Luv Ya back!!

We all knew you could do it --- Keep up the Good Fight ---
    We're ALL ***STILL*** with you!!

PS: HAPPIE BIRTHDAY !!

Robin, I didn't know you then. But I have met you and I know you're a wonderful lady. Congrats on 7 years! You're a survivor!
    Love ya!
    break out the donut holes and celebrate!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

It's a tough thing to go through, but you did it! We're so glad you put up the good fight and are still here.

My mom and breast cancer and a milder form of skin cancer in 2005. It was awful but I am so glad she is also one of the survivors.

Congratulations to you on this milestone dear friend! I'm glad your around to share this with us and I hope you'll be around for many, many, many years to come
    I wanna grow old with you

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Congratulations on this milestone - and you too kokopup! May you both continue down this wonderful path in life.

And if I may add this:
    My best friend's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was in her 50's - had a mastectomy - and went on to live to the very ripe old age of 95!

A sadder note however, my father was only 70 when diagnosed with colon cancer, and lived less than 4 more months.

It's such a terrible and unpredictable disease............

Hoping and praying that you make it to 95!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

"survivor" not a "victim" Well done you for putting up such a fight

Congratulations on making your 7 year mark!!! Very well done.
    Happy Birthday too.

My aunt has lung cancer but is going to make her 68th birthday which she never thought she would.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

A very good friend of mine was just diagnosed w/breast cancer and she's in the state of shock that you referred to, Robin. It's so encouraging to know that you're a survivor and that all is well. I'll be sure to tell her that. Thank you for sharing your story. May your good health continue.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

CONGRATULATIONS SWEET LADY!!!!

I am ELATED for you, RobiLee!!! Anytime after 5 years is considered cured. My daughter is in her 19th year of remission from brain cancer AND is getting married June 4, 2011!!!

You are one of my favs, girl and I'm so glad that you can put this behind you. My daughter told me once, that though you are considered cured, there is always that little bit of "doubt" that it can reoccur. You and Amy will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and hugs,

Donna and fur crew

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

CONGRATS!

Prays that everything continues to go well for you.

Melissa

Yay!!!

Your post got me choked up; so glad that you chose to fight and make this milestone. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

I've been around here for about 3 years and I never knew this. I also got LES reading your words. I cannot imagine going through that.

I am so happy to hear it has been 7 years and you are happy and healthy.
    Congrats!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Congrats!!! I too hope that everything goes well for you in the future and that you contninue to stay healthy.

My mom is a breast cancer surivor and I think it's been about 10 years now but she still has to take some medication as a precaution.