Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frequent Pooping?

Frequent Pooping?

Molli poops 4 times a day at least, is this usually only caused from the type of food that is fed? I know foods with lots of fillers cause frequent pooping. I feed her Nutro Ultra, is there a different food for around the same price I should be feeding her? ( I pay 35 dollars for 15 pounds) I was under the impression that this is a decent brand. I am a college student and don't have much money to buy the more expensive brands, otherwise I definitely would!

Sam eats Science Diet because it was prescribed by the vet for his chronic colitis, which I thought was not as good quality, but he only poops twice a day.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

If her "motions" are normal then I wouldn't worry too much about it, maybe gradually introduce a different brand if you can afford it. However if her stools are runny, have mucus or blood in them then I would suggest a trip to the vet just in case

I would bring in a different brand. Feeding Delta a different food decreased her poops from 4+ times a day to maybe 2. Nutro has menadione which is known to be a carcinogen, so that is why I stopped feeding and refuse to feed anything with that in it... Honda was on it, and I won't feed it again.

You can do a lot better with less money... if there isn't so much filler, you don't have to feed as much, so it lasts longer. And I've also just noticed that Nutro is EXPENSIVE! Go grain free.... You can get Taste of the Wild for about 22-28 dollars depending on where you buy it. Stay away from the pacific stream because it does have ethoxyquin in it... which is a bad preservative... the other two brands have fish meal... but in rather small amounts. This is what Remy is on.

You can also look into Blue Wilderness (a bit more expensive), Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Before Grain from Merrick, Canidae Grain free... those are just a few. I believe TOTW is the cheapest though.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Oh, and if you belong to a Costco near you, there is a pretty decent fish based food that is grain free there... it's like Kirkland... but I forget the name...

Hmmm.... from what I know, Nutro is a pretty good quality dog food. Maybe try TOTW like MonicaHonda suggested! Science Diet makes excellent pet foods, too!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Just check out http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

You'll see how the foods add up to what is considered a good dog food.

Thanks you guys! Very helpful. Monican Honda... are those brands you can get at Petsmart? Or like those specialty pet stores? I do live in the city so I'm sure I can find them. I had no idea that Nutro contained a carcinogen (cancer causer, right?)!

Lablover, thanks for the info. I have heard Science Diet isn't the best on here somewhere, but I'm glad to know its good! We feed Sam Science Diet Z/D... and I like it... He's got energy and a super shiny coat!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I know the ones I named can be found at Pet Supplies Plus and most at Petco. As for Petsmart... I would try Blue Buffalo....

Science Diet is used widely in the veterinary field! Z/D is awesome, but man, is it expensive!! One of my instructors feeds her pit bull, Luna Z/D. Luna is allergic to everything! 4 kinds of grasses, cats, and many other things! We call her 'the pink pit bull' because she is mostly white. But due to her severe allergies to everything, she is kinda of hairless on her chest, which makes her skin pink! She's so cute.

Kaitlyn (the human)

Just because it's fed by veterinarians doesn't make it a good food. They are bribed from day one in vet school. Getting free stuff (Dog food, scrubs, stethoscopes, paper, pens, toiletries (yes even in the bathroom!)), and making sure they weasel their way into the vet's office. We don't ask our normal practitioner's about nutrition advice, so we shouldn't expect vet's to know it either. Vet's only get about one training seminar in nutrition unless they specialize in nutrition. Sure, vets should take more time out of their day to learn about nutrition before being led blindly... but they do a lot of studying on how to fix injuries and such, that I don't blame them. So just because your vet has it doesn't make it a good food. Once I finish my DVM, Science Diet will not be anywhere near my clinic. More like Orijen, Evo, California Natural, and premade raw. (If your intructor's pitbull has a lot of allergies, she should try California Natural... very limited ingredients as to not upset an allergic dog. VERY good food for allergies) Just take a look at the ingredients for yourself... Corn shouldn't be the number one ingredient... (This is the #1 thing dogs are allergic to!!!) even bad foods like Nutrish say meat should be #1. (Just because meat is number one, doesn't mean there aren't 5 more corn products down the line to add up to more than the meat)

EDIT: I did just look up Z/D, I have to say, at least it doesn't contain corn!!! But starch really shouldn't be the first ingredient. Nor should it have cellulose... they are both fillers. Doggies like meat!!!! Basically, Science Diet works for some dogs, and that's great! But there are definitely cheaper, better alternatives out there. (Like Cal Nat is cheaper than SD)

LabLover... I hope you don't think I am being too confrontational or rude... I by no means mean to. Nutrition is just something I feel VERY strongly about... I even want to become a DVM and specialize in Nutrition. I just think it's sad that vets are expected to know everything about everything... when I don't think they should have to know about nutrition... because they really don't.

Again, I'm sorry, and I don't mean to make it sound like your opinion doesn't matter here, it does. I'm just very passionate and sometimes it makes me become a loud mouth. :-X Lol

No problem. We had our nutrition portion in school about 3 months ago, and learned about many different kinds of pet foods. I'm not in any way saying science diet is the best food, but I do believe they make great foods for animals that help maintain their health issues!
    I agree with corn as an ingredient, many animals are allergic to it, and it's just a filler that really doesn't do anything. I'll mention California Natural to my instructor, thanks!

Kaitlyn (the human)

No idea if it's just my dogs or not but I switched them from Wellness Lamb to Avoderm Lamb and I'm not sure if they actually poop less frequently but they are considerably smaller poops, with all three dogs. They've done really well on it too, its sold at Petco for sure likely at Petsmart too.

Oh, are you in vet school??!!! Or tech school or something!??!! Ugh, I'm nervous because I apply this summer/fall. >.>

I like Avoderm too... good food, but I don't think it's at Petsmart... I think really the only good foods Petsmart sells is Blue Buffalo and I think they just started selling Castor and Pullox which isn't bad.

Thanks everyone for the info and comments. I have seen Blue Buffalo there and they have commercials on TV now too... I may look into that!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*