Thread: Cleaning vinyl siding w/TPS

Cleaning vinyl siding w/TPS

Anyone use TPS to clean their house siding?

TPS is tri sodium phosphate.

Someone recently told me to use TPS and Bleach, in equal parts. Mix with warm water and apply with a sprayer, and I shouldn't need to use a scrub brush at all.

I asked about the dogs, and the environment. He said follow up with hosing down the grass where it all drops from the house. Or put a sprinkler on for an hour or 2, to water it down.

I wonder if I can use it without the bleach?

My white house gets a lot of green gunk on the back. Seems this is pollen from my maple trees. Once it settles, then all the rain, and this green gunk develops. That is what I need to remove.

Any thoughts appreciated!

below is a pic which shows the green on the left side of the photo. The photo wasn't taken for this purpose, but I think you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I checked Wikipedia for "trisodium phosphate" and it answered your question.

OK-AY, guess I am not gonna use THAT!

Thanks, Kirsten.

Here is the link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    That green gunk is algae growth, and you'll get it in areas of the house that don't get much sun to keep the siding dry. We get it too, on the front of the house which only gets the early morning sun.

If you have a pressure washer, just the plain water will take it off without adding any cleaners or chemicals. That's what my son does. If you don't use a cleaner that has a growth inhibitor, it will come back every year and have to be done again, but at least you won't be putting any chemicals in the ground for your pets to get into.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

We just did this process; used vinyl siding cleaner boosted with bleach and a soft brush on a 12' pole. We have EXTREMELY high places on our house, and at a few stages were hanging out the upstairs bathroom window with the pole/brush - it must have been hysterical to see. We have found the bleach is key. The siding cleaner alone doesn't cut it. Everything below (gardens, deck, etc.) was covered with tarps, we brushed it all with the solution, then hit with a power washer (we were also hanging out the window with that!). It was a whole afternoon for the one north facing side of the house, but it's worth it!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I have to go through this process at least 2 times a year. I mix outdoor bleach with a car wash. The Bleach gets the algae and the car wash gets the dirt and other materials. The sheeting action of the carwash helps the water and bleach to come off the windows and house like it was waxed. Works for me. Rinse with lots of water to dilute the bleach on the ground. Cover plants with roll plastic.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

If it is where you can reach, white vinegar in a spray bottle, and then a sponge seems to work okay! And that is, of course, doggie safe! It happens on our house near the kitchen windows, as that side of the yard gets very little direct sun.
    I've Been Frosted

Or, you could just paint the house green.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Or, you could just paint the house green.
    Ha ha haaa!

We had the house power washed 2 years ago. Now, it is really bad again.
    Did you know you cannot rent a power washer at either Home Depot or Lowe's? And I don't have one; don't want one either.

Karen, no WAY I am doing this major job with a squirt bottle!

I've got exactly the same problem, and it's compounded by the fact that I need to avoid any toxic runoff into my fish pond. I'll have to ask my parents whether they have a power washer I can borrow, 'cause I don't want to have to buy one, either.

I've been told NOT to use a pressure washer on vinyl siding because the water can get behind the vinyl. This creates a mold or rot issue where you can't see it.

My cream-colored vinyl gets green every year or less. It's right next to the driveway so I can't ignore it. I usually get on a ladder and brush by hand, rinse with a hose. This year I wanted to avoid the ladder so I bought a cleaner that is attached to the hose. It worked pretty well. I applied it twice, brushing where I could reach. There are still some faint spots above my reach. If I get brave enough to climb a ladder, I'll get them too.

I think I'll use this stuff twice a year to stay ahead of the algae (green goo). It's sure easy to do. Costs about $8.