Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Have An Epidemic :(

We Have An Epidemic :(

We have an epidemic going around our place and are at a loss on how to handle it. Numerous cats are coming down with a throat/mouth condition that keeps them from eating and is basically impossible to get rid of. We can keep it under somewhat control with shots from the vet but we’re going broke. The vets have run blood work, throat cultures, etc. and really don’t have a solid answer. We are heartsick over this and fear our next choice will be to have to put some down.

Sable (mom cat) is down to just less than 8 lbs. She goes in Thursday for teeth surgery in hopes this will help clear her mouth some, and in turn will help the throat. Gable was in yesterday and his is worse than the others. We are just beside ourselves on what to do.

We feel fortunate that this is the first time we’ve had a major catastrophe being such a multi-cat household. It’s just all so sad. Have any of you dealt with anything like this, and what would you do if you were in our shoes?
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

How SAD! All I can think of, having only two cats, is to isolate the kitties...but you have more than two, so don't know how you would do that.

HUGS and prayers going out, I hope someone here will have ideas!

ETA: The only thing I can think of is to borrow (if you don't have one) an ionizing air cleaner. Also, a small room steamer (like you use when you have a cold) with some tea tree oil in it will really help - the TT oil really cleans up the air.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

There is a mouth condition known as "thrush". Did the vet mention anything about that??? It causes little tiny blisters in the roof and the tongue of the mouth. It's painful.

Lisa, please keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thrush is a yeast infection in the mouth. People often get it (and females get the 'other' yeast infection) when antibiotics have been used. The abs kill off all bacteria, creating an imbalance that causes yeast infections.

Maybe something simple like Forti Flora or another acidophilus/bifidus supplement to restore the balance would help. Phone your vet and ask!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    There is a mouth condition known as "thrush". Did the vet mention anything about that??? It causes little tiny blisters in the roof and the tongue of the mouth. It's painful.

Lisa, please keep us posted.

It's not that. Here's basically what is going on:

"Oral and pharyngeal problems can be disconcerting from the viewpoint of the cat owner and that of the veterinary surgeon. These conditions of the mouth and throat are a common occurrence and many of them are unresponsive to treatment. For a large proportion of these conditions no rational therapy is available because, at the moment, we do not completely understand their cause.

Although the causes of oropharyngeal disease in the cat are poorly recorded, it is clear that a number of these conditions may be a consequence of underlying generalised disease, particularly chronic kidney failure, leucopenia (depressed white blood cell count), immunosuppression secondary to FeLV or FIV infections and, rarely, diabetes mellitus. In such cases the oral problem cannot be expected to resolve unless the underlying problem is diagnosed and, where amenable to treatment, treated.

There are a number of signs which will suggest that a cat has some disorder of the mouth or pharynx. The cat may show no interest in food, or may come to the food bowl and then be reluctant to eat. It may chew with obvious caution and discomfort, may drop food from its mouth, or may swallow with great difficulty or discomfort. Excessive saliva may overflow from the mouth, there may be a marked unpleasant odour to the breath and, in some cases, bleeding. Clawing at the mouth and head shaking may also occur, particularly with foreign bodies or very painful disorders. The reluctance to eat may lead to weight loss which can become quite marked."

All of ours have been tested for all diseases and they've all came back negative. This makes it all the harder to cure and keep under control.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

That sounds like a strange disease! I'm so sorry that you and your cats have to go through this! It must be so painful if it keeps them from eating!!

Hope there's going to be a treatment!!

Kirsten

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you'll be able to find a treatment for whatever it is.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh no, Lisa, I am sorry to read this! Sable and Gable?!

That write up you provided does not provide much in the way of care, treatment, contagion, etc. I guess because not enough is known about this illness.

Can you keep the healthy ones segregated? As a first step.

I will include your crew in my prayers.

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear this. Hopefully your vet will be able to give you something to make them more comfortable. Since Sable and now Gable have this, do you think that they may be the carriers of this disease? If I were in your shoes, I'd be very upset and probably be freaking out. I know how even one sick cat can make you get into debt because I've been there and I'm still there. I would just try to make the sick cats as comfortable as possible and if you can I'd try to separate the sick ones from the healthy ones. I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear this. Hopefully your vet will be able to give you something to make them more comfortable. Since Sable and now Gable have this, do you think that they may be the carriers of this disease? If I were in your shoes, I'd be very upset and probably be freaking out. I know how even one sick cat can make you get into debt because I've been there and I'm still there. I would just try to make the sick cats as comfortable as possible and if you can I'd try to separate the sick ones from the healthy ones. I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))
    Gabby first had this and has since past. I'm not sure. Not sure why it started, how, etc. They're all strictly indoors so where in the world did it come from? We may have to put several down if it doesn't stop.

Does this disease have a name? Is it common in some areas of the country
    and not others? I am sorry the Vet hasn't been able to be much help with
    this. This must be very scary. I hope you find some answers soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you everyone! I guess we should feel fortunate we've gone at least 12 years on a very multi-cat household with little problems. How this got started is beyond me. It's all very depressing. Leila is at the vets today and Beavis goes tomorrow. They give them shots of antibiotics, pain meds, and anti-inflammatory meds. They help for a bit but then anywhere between 3 to 4 weeks they all need it again. The weird part is all their tests are coming back fine. We will keep it up as long as we can and then I don't know what we will have to do.

The economy is recovering very slowly - but please ask for help if it will keep some kitties alive. I can give a bit, just a bit. But many bits add up!

Again - try disinfecting the air in your place; could be some spring pollutant that has come in.

Also - your story of working with the park cats has been in the paper. Contact the paper/writer and ask for a follow-up. I am sure help would flood in (or trickle hugely) from that. Don't be shy about it - you and your husband have worked tirelessly and thanklessly at what you do, and you deserve some help!

If nothing else, with money you could board several at the vets and treat the others at home.

HUGS!

This sort of reminds me of my RB Puddy who had CRF and later developed burning mouth syndrome. She got to where she would only lick ice cubes and eat fudgsicles. She had some but not all of the symptoms listed in the article that you posted. Problem is that there really wasn't much to be done for it except to keep her supplied w/bowls of ice cubes in water and hold fudgsicles for her to eat. What clued me in was that her tongue began to hang out. Do your cats do that?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Since it sounds like it has a regular cycle, you might take a look at your routine and see if there is a part of your routine that cycles the same way.
    You could take general precautions to prevent and control contagion, as well. Of course, keep the ill sepparate from the well. I would set up a quarentine room, and clean and disinfect the whole house. Wash your hands after every time you handle one of your kitties, and use latex/vinyl gloves when handling them and their waste. Remove your shoes when you come in from outside and spray them with Lysol, inside and out. You may even keep a set of "sick clothes" that you change into to handle your sick babies. Basically, do like they do in the hospital with MRSA.

I know you said they did blood tests, but have they checked for parasites? I would imagine there are some, that during their lifecycle, would cause systematic issues and irritations.

Good luck and we'll keep you in our prayers
    Too many pets? What's that?