Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot car... how long is too long?

Hot car... how long is too long?

I live in FL. I came out of the grocery store today and saw and heard 2 dogs that were in an SUV that was parked in a handicapped space. The front windows were down a couple of inches and the back windows were open about a quarter of the way down. AND IT WAS HOT OUT! Had to be in the 80's today.

I loaded my groceries in the trunk and just stood around for a while thinking the owner must have just ran in for a second, because everyone knows how dangerous it is to leave dogs in a hot car, right?...

Well, I waited and waited and waited.. after about 5 minutes I am thinking should I call the cops? After 10, I am REALLY agitated and looking at these dogs for any sign of distress and finally after about 15 minutes, I took the guys license number down and was getting ready to call the police when this heavy set older guy comes out with a bag boy pushing his cart and heads for the SUV.

I really went off on him. .."why are these dogs in a hot car? do you know how hot that car is? how would YOU like to sit in that car with no AC?"... etc, etc... he just replied that he was a diabetic and had to go in to get his meds??... and to leave him alone... duh...

Another lady in her car heard what was happening and drove around and rolled down her window and yelled at him, too. I heard her say "people go to jail for doing that!"....

I was just wondering how soon do you call the cops when you see something like that? I have no idea how long those dogs were in that car before I even got out there. I have never done anything like that in my life before, but I was sooooo mad that someone could do that when any idiot knows that dogs (and children) die so fast when left in hot cars. A lot of people just walked on by even when they heard the dogs bark at them... like no one cared ...

Well a lot of people feel it isn't their business or don't want to get involved. I think what you did was GREAT!! I probably would have done the same.
    A lady I work with at the shelter would have went into the store and walked around looking for the owner (she's done this before) and given them a piece of her mind.
    It's too bad there aren't more people like us Pet Talkers out there in the world.

Good job!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

You did the right thing. I think that any amount of time is too long for any animal to stay in a hot car.

About a month or so ago, one of my co-workers had his dog in his car and it was also parked in the sun. He works from 2pm-usually 10pm. It was a fairly warm day that day too. Another co-worker was leaving and she noticed the dog in the car and it was sitting on the floor trying to stay out of the sun. She was about to call animal control and then she decided to go back into work to see if someone there owned this dog.

A man at work was the owner of the dog. My boss told the owner of the dog to go get the dog and put it on the back porch area. He did this and another co-worker gave the dog some much needed water. I think that the dog was in the car for at least 1 hour. I'm glad that someone spotted this dog because I'd hate to think what may have happened if no one had done anything. The owner didn't even seem to get the fact that his car was too hot for his dog.

I just saw a dog in a car yesterday here. This is one of the BIGGEST things that irritates me. I do not understand how anyone could leave a dog in a car and go into the grocery store. Yea, the guy needed his meds. Why did he have to bring the dogs along. Hopefully by you confronting him he will not do this again.

This happened to me last summer when I went grocery shopping. I tried to get the store to do something about it but they would not get involved. I then called the SPCA. Just as I had them on the phone the owner showed up.

I have thought about printing up flyers to put on vehicles when I see this but I don't want to do anything illegal. We should start some sort of a group here to make people aware of how serious this is. Maybe come up with a logo and create a website.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I've reported people like that. I was at Walmart a couple of summers ago, and saw a dog in what appeared to be in distress, in a car. The windows were down some, but it was a hot day, and the dog was panting and pacing between windows like crazy. I took down the plate # and went inside to customer service, and they paged the person with that plate to return to their vehicle immediately - emergency! I was waiting for them when they got there. I went off on them, and of course they told me they were only gone for a few minutes, and it was none of my business anyway, at which time I promptly told them it was my business and they were lucky I didn't just break into the car and get the dog out. Also told them if I ever saw them again, I would just call the cops and let them handle it.

Morons!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

GOOD FOR YOU!! And kudos to that other person for joining in with you. Always helps make a point when more than one person is saying it!

Dogs left in a hot car have no way to help themselves. They rely on a "good citizen" to help them. I've called for help for pets; it makes me SO angry when I see them left there, and they are bark, bark, barking. All that barking indicates they are already in there too long.

The ASPCA web site:
    Never leave your animals alone in a parked vehicle. "On a hot day, a parked car can become a furnace in no time—even with the windows open—which could lead to fatal heat stroke," says Dr. Louise Murray, Director of Medicine at ASPCA Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital. Also, leaving pets unattended in cars in extreme weather is illegal in several states.

From HSUS web site:
    In nice weather you may be tempted to take your pet with you in the car while you travel or do errands. But during warm weather, the inside of your car can reach 120 degrees in a matter of minutes, even if you're parked in the shade. This can mean real trouble for your companion animals left in the car.

Dogs and cats can't perspire and can only dispel heat by panting and through the pads of their feet. Pets who are left in hot cars even briefly can suffer from heat exhaustion, heat stroke, brain damage, and can even die. Don't think that just because you'll be gone "just a minute" that your pet will be safe while you're gone; even an air-conditioned car with the motor off isn't healthy for your pet.

To avoid any chance that your pet will succumb to the heat of a car this summer, be sure to play it safe by leaving your pet cool and refreshed at home while you're on the road. And if you do happen to see a pet in a car alone during the hot summer months, alert the management of the store where the car is parked. If the owner does not return promptly, call local animal control or the police department immediately.

And from Paw Rescue (never heard of them, but found the temps info I wanted):
    It takes only minutes for a pet left in a vehicle on a warm day to succumb to heatstroke and suffocation. Most people don't realize how hot it can get in a parked car on a balmy day. However, on a 78 degree day, temperatures in a car parked in the shade can exceed 90 degrees -- and hit a scorching 160 degrees if parked in the sun!

Even when the outside air temperature is in the 60s, temperatures inside some vehicles can reach the danger zone on bright, sunny days. So many experts recommend not to leave pets or children in parked cars even for short periods if the temperature is in the 60s or higher.

Rolling down a window or parking in the shade doesn't guarantee protection either, since temperatures can still climb into the danger zone. And if the window is rolled down sufficiently, the pet can escape. Plus if a passer-by claims he or she was bitten through the car window, the pet owner will be liable.

What about leaving the dog in the car with the air-conditioning running? Many people do this, but tragedy can strike -- and it has. For example, in 2003, a police dog in Texas died after the air-conditioning in the patrol car shut down and began blowing hot air. The air system's compressor kicked off because the engine got too hot. Many cars, including modern models with computerized functions, are prone to the same problem. In August 2004, a North Carolina couple lost two of their beloved dogs, and nearly lost their third dogs, as result of a similar failure. They had left bowls of water and ice in the car, and the air-conditioning on, during their shopping trip of less than 30 minutes.

Animals are not able to sweat like humans do. Dogs cool themselves by panting and by sweating through their paws. If they have only overheated air to breathe, animals can collapse, suffer brain damage and possibly die of heatstroke. Just 15 minutes can be enough for an animal's body temperature to climb from a normal 102.5 to deadly levels that will damage the nervous and cardiovascular systems, often leaving the animal comatose, dehydrated and at risk of permanent impairment or death.

Happylabs, here is a pamphlet you can print: and I bet you can find others online too. THis was just the first one popped up when I searched.

http://www.helpinganimals.com/pdfs/hotundercollar.pdf

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Happylabs, here is a pamphlet you can print: and I bet you can find others online too. THis was just the first one popped up when I searched.

http://www.helpinganimals.com/pdfs/hotundercollar.pdf
    Thanks Sandie. I think I'll print some up and keep them in the car - just in case. And if I do see it again and the window is open enough to slide it thru, I will, rather than putting it under the wiper blade to be thrown away without even being read!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Reading what Sandie posted from the various organizations actually gets me a little mad. I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about a Samoyed dog left in a car here at my work last summer. But I called the Animal Control and they told me they couldn't do anything unless the temp inside the car was hotter than outside. It was 100+ degrees outside! The windows were all the way down and he was in the shade (the owner even moved the car to be in shade later in the day) but still! I was so mad. Good thing is, I haven't seen that car here anymore since that day. Thank goodness!!

I do know that people post flyers on cars. I don't think it's against any laws unless it's posted in the lot. We hand out flyers at the shelter during the warm months just as reminders.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I HATE to do this. But in my state it is NOT agasint the law to leave your dog in the car. Unless the dog is showing extreme signs of disstress. I have actually gotten a ticket for calling in to the police about a dog left in a car. When they arrived I was informed it wasn't my place and the dog wasn't in any destress so here's my 300 dollar ticket. And was basically told to mind my own bussiness next time around.

I am glad you did something about this. I personally will not leave my dogs alone in the car... maybe if I'm running into the gas station for literally a minute. It also causes my two huuuge distress to be left in the car alone! I know in Utah, even in the winter, it can get BOILING in the car. It is irresponsible to leave a pet in the car alone... treat them as you would a child.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chiwawa View Post
    I HATE to do this. But in my state it is NOT agasint the law to leave your dog in the car. Unless the dog is showing extreme signs of disstress. I have actually gotten a ticket for calling in to the police about a dog left in a car. When they arrived I was informed it wasn't my place and the dog wasn't in any destress so here's my 300 dollar ticket. And was basically told to mind my own bussiness next time around.
    In Florida, it's basically warm/hot all year long. I have been in this situation many times. It's so hard to make the call because we don't know if the person just went in the store.
    You did a fabulous job and if I were close to you, I would give you a hug. AWESOME-WAY TO GO!!!!
    In the hottest times of the year, I would not hesitate to do something right away. Occasionally, we have some cool days but the sun is usually beaming down on all parking lots. The asphalt is hot and those cars are like ovens.

My best answer would be to do exactly what you did. Stay on top of it until some resolution has been made. Some people could be in stores for an hour or more. Especially some pharmacies or grocery stores, trying on clothes, shoes, etc.
    In Florida I guess we follow our instincts and do the right thing like you did!! You are my hero!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I would've called the police. No animal should be left in a hot car at ANYTIME!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Thanks Sandie. I think I'll print some up and keep them in the car - just in case. And if I do see it again and the window is open enough to slide it thru, I will, rather than putting it under the wiper blade to be thrown away without even being read!
    Thanks for posting the pamphlet. I am definitely printing it out!

I like your idea of slipping the pamphlet into the cracked window too.

Thanks for saying I did the right thing. I was just in such a quandry as I didn't know exactly what to do. Do I call 911? Isn't that just for life and death emergencies of humans? My husband said I should call the sheriff's office. He has since put that number in my phone. Or is it animal control? I wonder how long it takes someone to get there? I would hate to call and then have the offender be gone by then... I did get the license number. I wonder if they would follow up on that?

I thought about going into the store but I had no idea how to 'find' the person in there and I was afraid he/she would get out while I was looking inside. All I wanted to do at that time after waiting (and thinking about my ice cream melting in my trunk) was jump all over this idiot, which I did. I surprised myself, as I have never spoken to a stranger like that in my life, but he so ROYALLY deserved it! And then that other lady drove around and yelled at him, too.... well, that was sooo great! Then she drove back around to my side of the parking lot and gave me a 'thumbs up'! .... well, I just smiled to myself the whole way home...I felt good...