Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice request: need bathing tips for grumpy old cat

Advice request: need bathing tips for grumpy old cat

Cassy, my adored, but grumpy old boy has been prescribed baths, 3 times a week for the next month or two. He's never had a bath before and is ... grouchy ... after several hours at the vet's and a shot, and antibiotics on his food, and ... well, he's usually grouchy anyway.

If you were to introduce baths to a senior grouch, how would you do this?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLee View Post

If you were to introduce baths to a senior grouch, how would you do this?
    Answer: DON'T !

If the White Coat thinks it's such a Great Idea ... RETURN da Kat
    to said Vet for a "treatment".

Thanks for the laugh.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

I'm sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is to bathe a cat. Why does he need baths 3 times a week for the next few months?

When Starr had ringworm and the vet suggested that I bathe the others, I just put the special shampoo and water mixture in a squirt bottle and I put them in my shower and sprayed them down. I then lathered them up and I got a bowl of water with a cup and I gradually rinsed them off with this. Luckily I only had to do this once. Since he's so grumpy, I'd also suggest that you put on a suit of armor before you start. Good luck.

Be sure to put a towel in the sink so that he doesn't slip around and possibly hurt himself while you're bathing him and have several towels ready to gently place him on when you take him out of the sink. Dry him as much as possible and since he's so grumpy, don't use a hair dryer on him; just be sure to get him as dry as possible w/the towels. (Hair dryers aren't a good idea anyhow. We're used to the heat and noise; cats aren't and it's easy to burn their skin w/o even realizing it.) Make the bath as brief as possible unless the medicated shampoo needs to stay on for a prescribed amount of minutes. When lowering him into the water, let him feel it first w/a paw so he knows what to expect as to temp., etc. And always have one hand on him while bathing him so that he feels secure. Hope this helps.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Be sure to put a towel in the sink so that he doesn't slip around and possibly hurt himself while you're bathing him and have several towels ready to gently place him on when you take him out of the sink. Dry him as much as possible and since he's so grumpy, don't use a hair dryer on him; just be sure to get him as dry as possible w/the towels. (Hair dryers aren't a good idea anyhow. We're used to the heat and noise; cats aren't and it's easy to burn their skin w/o even realizing it.) Make the bath as brief as possible unless the medicated shampoo needs to stay on for a prescribed amount of minutes. When lowering him into the water, let him feel it first w/a paw so he knows what to expect as to temp., etc. And always have one hand on him while bathing him so that he feels secure. Hope this helps.
    Very good advice esp. with putting a towel in the sink, I never thought about that I would always just put them in and your are right though that would help them for not hurting themselves.

Melissa

CLIP NAILS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!!!

Hold cat by scruff of neck, lift forward and up slightly, as this "supposedly" immobilizes them. Like when mom moves her babies. Of course, for an adult cat, you can't actually life as this will hurt the cat, but the basic hold helps with some cats (about 6 of my 10).

Don't allow the water to accumulate in the sink, they don't like standing in it at all. Make sure the drain is open so it flows right down.

If you have a bath mat, you can use that rather than a towel in the sink. The towel may scrunch up, th emat will stay in place (one less thing for you to need 8 hands for!)

Yes, having 8 hands will help, lol!

Wear gloves!!!! Just kidding.

When I used to bathe my cats (RB MooShoo and Maya Linn) for cat shows, now don't laugh, I'd get into the tub with them (yes, naked) and face them a way from me so I have control. Wet 'em down, lather 'em up and dry 'em off. Sounds easier said than done. But I've done it so many times, I can do it in my sleep.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I only had to bathe Tigris one time when he broke a bottle of nail polish remover and spilled it over his fur. He howled like a wolf and both of us WERE wearing gloves. Plus he was young then.
    I am with Phred regarding the bathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post
    Answer: DON'T !
    Well, I tend to agree with Phred!

If you really HAVE to wash Cassy, clip his nails first! A bath mat like Freedom suggested sounds like a good idea, and also this: " Hold cat by scruff of neck, lift forward and up slightly, as this "supposedly" immobilizes them." Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have much advice.

Good luck! Let us know about your bruises!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thank you all for the suggestions. (Phred's suggestion is still my favorite. )

Between noon and midnight Tuesday Cassy developed a bald spot between his ears, about a fingerprint size. The vet tested for ... I'm calling it demonic mange due to Cassy's reaction to the test, but that's only approximate as you know. That's not it, so they are testing for ringworm due to the dog next door having it. Apparently the test can take up to 3 weeks to PROVE ringworm in cats, and the vet doesn't want us to lose 2 to 3 weeks of treatment time... so I get to wash my grumpy old man.

I'll keep you updated, but I may not be able to log in regularly. My brand-new laptop quit working last night. Grrrr. I'm on a borrowed computer today, but the loaner isn't really open to my using it often. Now I get to get my new computer fixed.

Oh, yeah. The shampoo is to stay on 15 minutes each time. I've been dragging my feet about starting this. Sheesh.

When I got Crystal as a kitten, she had ringworm and we had to do those baths.

Once the shampoo was on, we would wrap her in a towel and carry her around. I we put her down, I feared we couldn't catch her again! As I did the bathing, Dad did most of the holding / walking around. He had me put on soft music and he'd sing and dance with her (not too many spins, now!) To this day ( 5 years later) she LOVES my Dad! She flirts shamelessly with him, lol.

I sure hope it isn't ringworm. If I lived closer I'd be glad to help you try to bathe him. Whatever it is I hope he'll clear up quickly.

One thing I'll mention, when I first got Storm I was feeding him a lot of cat food that had fish in it. He started losing the fur on his ears and he also started scratching a lot. My vet also thought it might be ringworm but luckily is wasn't. He gave him a cortizone injection to help with his itching. This really helped and his fur began to grow back.

When the cortizone wore off it started all over again. I went back to my vets office and I saw a different vet. This vet asked me if I was feeding him a lot of fish and I said yes. He said that some cats are allergic to fish. I stopped feeding him anything with fish in it and he never had a problem again.

Maybe Cassy has an allergic reaction to something in his food. Just a thought. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I also hope that your computer will be fixed soon. Take care. (((HUGS)))

I would suggest full body armor, welding gloves and a shower with doors.
    Sorry to hear this. Good luck.
    GILL & Crew;