Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Pain and Knee/Leg Pain Again - MRI Done Dr. Appt. Monday

Back Pain and Knee/Leg Pain Again - MRI Done Dr. Appt. Monday

Hi All-

Well today I'm in more pain back and leg pain then I've ever been in. I just want to go home and not move.

I'm sure this is related to all of the moving cats from my place to my mom's place (well only 4 of them). They are doing some maintenance work and I needed the ones that cause trouble out of our place.

So on Monday I moved our 4 cats from our apartment to the car, then from the car into my mom's house and then I left them at my mom's overnight since they didn't come on Monday and they should of been there on Tuesday but maintenance still didn't come.

Last night I went to pick up all 4 and Niahc from the vets and took all 5 home.

My husband unloaded the car which was a big help. This morning though I had to transport all 4 back over to my mom’s and I really hope they get to our apartment today but the landlord said it doesn’t look like it so maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Anyway, I think with all this moving around I’ve caused my back to get a tad inflamed or something and last week I saw my back doctor’s physician assistant since the doctor wasn’t available and I went over the increase of my symptoms since I last saw the doctor back in September 09 which includes this very painful leg pain I’ve been getting behind both of my knees.

I also have a lot of overall leg pain as well and most likely it’s because of my nerves.

I’m taking some painkillers right now because I can’t take any anti-inflammatory drugs due to the lap-band I had done last year. I wish I could take some anti-inflammatory stuff right now but I can’t and Tylenol doesn’t even touch the pain.

I have an MRI scheduled for this Friday and then my appt. with the doctor is on May 3rd. I hope this pain will go away soon.

For some of you who haven’t read my other thread here are the results that I have about my back issues.

Here are the results from my MRI in Jan. 08:

There is a grade 2 spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1. Estimated anterolisthesis is 7 mm. There is associated degenerative intervertebral disc change on L5-S1.

Sagittal images suggests a broad-based bulging disc at L4-L5 and L-3-L4.

There are findings of a mild broad-based disc bulge at L3-L4. This creates only minimal impact with the thecal sac with the neural foramina considered patent bilaterally. The L4-L5 level demonstrates a right central disc herniation. There may be a very small, extruded disc fragment posterior to the L5 vertebral body. This appears to be in contact with the right L5 nerve root. There is very mild narrowing of the right and to a lesser extent left neural foramina.

The L5-S1 levels shows again a grade 2 spondylolisthesis of the L5 on S1. This appears to be associated with a posterior spondylosis. This is combined with a broad-based disc herniation and creates a moderate impact upon the anterior aspect of the subarachnoid space. Impact upon the thecal sac is minimal. The exception is at the level of the neural foramen where there is considerable right and to a lesser extent left foraminal stenosis.

Grade 2 spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1 associated with a posterior
    spondylosis.

There is estimated 7 mm anterolisthesis with significant to severe
    right and to a lesser extent left foraminal stenosis at L5-S1.

Mild right central disc herniation of L4-L5 with a small, extruded
    fragment creating a moderate localized impact upon the right L5 nerve
    root.

Minimal broad-based disc bulge at L3-L4 of doubtful clinical
    significance.

I had a CT Scan done on 2/6/09 and this is what they said: There is a mild change of Degenerative Disc Disease with small vertebral body osteophytes. There is disc space narrowing at L4-L5. There is evidence of bilateral spondylolsis of L5 with Grade 1 to 2 Spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1. No vertebral compression deformities are identified. The sacrobiliac joints appear intact. Slight spurring is seen along the supermedial margins of both iliac bones.

I did see another back surgeon in Jan. 2010 and he reviewed some of my stuff but didn't seem that interested and I was rather disappointed because they said right now it's an elective surgery and since I could walk without pain and I had good strength in my legs that I should wait as long as possible. He said that most likely I would need a second surgery to fix my L2 and L3 since they are showing some degenerative signs now and that when I fix my L4 and L5 it will put pressure on the L2 and L3. I remember he told me that I should wait as long as I can to have the back surgery and then hopefully I will be dead by the time I'll need the second surgery. I couldn't believe this guy said that to me.

I was so irritated. I know I'm only 30 and who wants to have back surgery but this leg pain if it's from my back which the PA thinks it is I don't know how much more I can take.

Some of you have given me a lot of different doctors to see and I really appreciate it and I may look into some of them again if this doctor that I see on May 3rd isn’t any friendlier.

Melissa

Melissa
    Last edited by Anikaca77; 04-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Oh, Melissa, I'm so sorry you are suffering so much pain in the midst of all the other matters you have to deal with at this time. We are saying our prayers and sending our healing energies and good wishes your way.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and ~~~~~PURRRS~~~~~ from me and the cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Melissa, dearest Melissa, with the same name as my daughter, i so feel for you darling, it is the pitts being in constant pain, and especially for one so young, you kinda expect it when you are my age, but it is very distressing to hear of you pain and suffering, I take a drug called Arcoxcia, i am not sure if they have it in your country, it is mainly for arthritis,but other pain too,and is an antiflamm drug, but without all the nasty side effects like bad stomachs, i also cannot tolerate normal antiflam drugs, my stomach is too delicate, of course i do not now about lap bands,and why you cannot take it, but it sure limits your pain relief for sure.

I hope you can find something to alleviate the pain you are in, and remember we are always here for you to lean on in your times of trouble and despair,and of course pain,here's hoping you can get some relief soon and feel well again,thinking of you.HUGS
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    Melissa, dearest Melissa, with the same name as my daughter, i so feel for you darling, it is the pitts being in constant pain, and especially for one so young, you kinda expect it when you are my age, but it is very distressing to hear of you pain and suffering, I take a drug called Arcoxcia, i am not sure if they have it in your country, it is mainly for arthritis,but other pain too,and is an antiflamm drug, but without all the nasty side effects like bad stomachs, i also cannot tolerate normal antiflam drugs, my stomach is too delicate, of course i do not now about lap bands,and why you cannot take it, but it sure limits your pain relief for sure.

I hope you can find something to alleviate the pain you are in, and remember we are always here for you to lean on in your times of trouble and despair,and of course pain,here's hoping you can get some relief soon and feel well again,thinking of you.HUGS
    I didn't know that I had the same name as your daughter I feel better today so far thank goodness, I've had some numbing on my legs but maybe this is just something else I need to get used to. I can tolerate antiflam. but with the lap-band (it's a weight loss surgery) and some doctors allow you to take antiflam. drugs while others do not and mine won't let me so I have limited drugs I can take and while the tylenol is safer than some drugs it doesn't cut the pain.

I'm trying to take it easy and we'll see what happens.

Thank you for caring,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Oh, Melissa, I'm so sorry you are suffering so much pain in the midst of all the other matters you have to deal with at this time. We are saying our prayers and sending our healing energies and good wishes your way.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and ~~~~~PURRRS~~~~~ from me and the cats
    Thank you for your prays.
    Melissa

This morning I went for an MRI of my back. It was about 20 mins. for them to do and that's all I could take. I'm glad it was a quicker machine before I had to lay down for 45 mins or so. My one leg kept twitching and I just don't know why I keep having so many more symptoms but hopefully nothing changed too much since the MRI in 2008.

Melissa

Oh Melissa, I do hope you feel better very soon and that your Dr. is more helpful and sympathetic this time! Lots of love and gentle hugs
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Today I see the doctor at 2:15 p.m. and we'll see what happens.

All the best sweetheart, i sure hope this doc is sympathetic to your troubles and can give you something to really help ease the pain, thinking of you, HUGS.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Any answers yet? I hope it was a successful visit. Gentle hugs
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Melissa,

I know exactly how you feel, as I've got continuous back pain. My tailbone has no cushioning whatsoever, so it's difficult to sit on a hard surface like a bench for any length of time. My doctor has ordered an MRI.

How was your MRI??? I've never had one and am claustrophobic. I hope they find out what's going on with my back. I know the tailbone problem is from a fall at BB&B last year. But my back pain won't let up. That has to do with working on an ambulance for 20 years and lifting not only a stretcher, but a stretcher with someone on it!!!

Good luck, girl. Let us know what the doctor says. You're in my prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

HI All-

Sorry I didn't post yesterday I was having a really bad day with back pain and then my husband wasn't feeling well, his CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome was acting up).

Anyway, I went to my doctors appt. yesterday and when I arrived they didn't say anything about him being late or anything but after another person arrived for their appt. they said he was running about an hour behind. I'm like great, I took off work at 2 p.m. thinking my doctor appt. was at 2:15 p.m. and now it looks like I won't be seen till 3:15 p.m.

Go figure. So I told them I was going to go and I'll be back then. Well about 15 mins. later they call me and said the nurse called my name. So I headed back to the office sat for about 10 mins. and I was called in and within 10 more mins. I think I was finally seen.

He didn't really go over the results too well, he went over the x-ray they took of my back just a few weeks ago and showed where the problem is which I already knew. The MRI report they gave me was a bit different than the one I got from the hospital 2 years ago.

Here are the results from the MRI I had done on Friday.

Five typical lumbar vertebral bodies are assumed.

The conus medullaris terminates at the level of T12. The lower thoracic spinal cord, conus medullaris and cauda equina are all intact.

There is mild lumbar spondylosis within the lower lumbar spine. There is degenerative disc disease at L3-L4 through L5-S1.

There is retrolistheis at L3-L4. This measures 2.5 mm. There is spondylolisthesis detected at L5-S1. There is 8 mm of anterior slippage of L5-S1.

Bone marrow signal is within normal limits. There are no findings of acute marrow edema from trauma, neoplastic infiltration, or inflammatory disease.

At the level of L1-L2, there is no disc herniation, foraminal stenosis, or acquired spinal stenosis. There are mild facet joint degenerative changes.

At the level of L2-L3, there are mild facet joint degenerative changes. There is no disc herniation, foraminal stenosis, or acquired stenosis.

At the level of L3-L4, again noted is retrolistheis. There are mild facet joint degenerative changes. There is no disc herniation, foraminal stenosis, or acquired spinal stenosis.

At the level L4-L5, there is minimal focal central disc protrusion. There are mild facet joint degenerative disc changes. There is no disc herniation, foraminal stenosis, or acquired spinal stenosis.

At the level of L5-S1, again noted is evidence for spondylolisthesis. There is no associated disc herniation. There are mild facet joint degenerative changes. There is no significant canal encroachment.

The imaged portions of the retropertioneum demonstrate no abnormalities.

Impression:

1. Intact lower thoracic spinal cord, conus medullaris and cauda equina.
    2. Mild lumbar spondylosis.
    3. Multilevel degenerative disc disease.
    4. Retrolisthesis L3-L4.
    5. Spondylolisthesis L5-S1.
    6. Facet joint degenerative changes.
    7. No disc herniation, foraminal stenosis, or high grade spinal stenosis.

I asked him the following questions while I was there:

1. Can disc herniation heal itself? (Back in Feb. 08 when I had my first MRI done of my lumbar spine they said that I had a mild right central disc herniation of L4-L5 with a small, extruded fragment creating a moderate localized impact upon the right L5 nerve root).

The doctor said no it can't heal itself and it's probably something that the MRI guy didn't see or something.

2. Is the degenerative disc disease going to spread up my whole spine? My L1-L2 have mild facet joint degenerative changes. The L1-L2 were normal back in 08.

He said what is happening is because of my slippage at L5 it's causing the other bones to feel the stress and it's supposed to be straight so we'll see what happens hopefully it won't get worse.

The surgeon did tell me yesterday that it is likely that the slip will continue to progress and when it becomes at Grade 3 right now I'm at a Grade 2 then I will need surgery. Right now it's just optional at this point.

I'm going to look into this laser surgery type and see if it's worth looking into or not but the recovery time seems like it's something to look into because yesterday he said it's 4-6 months recover. Here is a link to the laser stuff.

http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/

Thank you Carol, Lilith Cherry, and Moosmom for asking about me. I really appreciate it and sorry it took a little while to get back to you about this.

Melissa

gosh, there's so much that's going on with you, I'm so sorry!! You must be in serious pain all the time, every day.

I wish there was something I could do to help. I'll say some prayers for you and light a candle.

HUGS to you, i hope you feel better soon, or they can find something the help alleviate the pain.

I contacted this laser surgery place but I still may go to see this one guy someone on here recommended Dr. D. Sutton, M.D. They said he was very caring and I can't seem to find the person's e-mail address who sent me his name.

I was going to see him last year but I decided to stay closer to home. I'm still thinking about things because I don't have to have surgery anytime soon. The pain is there daily now and I can feel it worse in my right leg and last night I did what I had to do but I was so glad once I go to sit down.

Yesterday morning it hurt just brushing my teeth but I'm going to try to exercise my back more and see if that will help which I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

Melissa

You poor girl - I hope a solution is found soon and you can be pain-free