Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danish... and European airspace shuts down

We have had a totally blue sky above us, Barbara, which seems a bit odd, because my car is suddenly covered in thick dust!

It's Clarkson's fault!

http://jalopnik.com/5518997/top-gear...yline=true&s=i

Last week we shared news the BBC's Top Gear was filming on an active volcano. Turns out it's Eyjafjallajökull, the same volcano causing European airplane havoc. Luckily, cast and crew escaped just hours before the volcano erupted. Amazing gallery below.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

The cloud is now over most of Europe but you can really see that West Scotland has a chance of missing it as it takes an Eastern curve when it leaves Iceland. No flights until tomorrow- I can see myself drag my suitcase from home-station-Frankfurt- Brussels- hotel-station-London etc. Oh my! Our chancellor coming from San Francisco had to land in Lisbon and seems to be still there, some wounded soldiers from Afghanistan had to land in Istanbul.

I heard some story on the news this morning about John Cleese taking a taxi from Oslo to Brussels! Maybe he will buy you dinner on your overnight stay, Barbara.

We should have known it was Clarkson's fault!

I've not heard from my sister yet, but they'll most likely be delayed too. Hopefully they get a few a extra nice days in Thailand.

It's fairly bright here, but not as sunny as the last couple of days.

At the moment it's expected that Danish airspace will stay closed until 02:00 AM sunday, at the least.

A link from Reuters with video:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63E1TM20100417

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Best of luck to your sister. I just watched a news report on this. I always find it amazing that no matter how tech savvy we become mother nature has but to blow her top and we are at her mercy.
    Wishing all travlers safety and a speedy flight home.

My sister and BIL got a good hotel near the airport in Thailand, so that's good. The latest news is that Danish airspace will stay closed until 02:00 AM monday. From the news we get, I expect it will be longer. The volcano is still spewing ashes.

My cousin's son and his girlfriend are on their way back from a 3,5 months trip around the world, they are stuck in Madrid.

I wonder what all of you would do if you were stranded somewhere? Seems it's time to start hitchhiking again, like we did in the seventies. I know I would, if I was within Europe and I really wanted/had to get back home. I did once, to and from Basel in Switzerland - it took me 24 hours, and I even slept 8 hours.

Here's a picture of the area the cloud reach:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Randi; 04-18-2010 at 04:51 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I wonder what all of you would do if you were stranded somewhere?
    Friends and I were discussing this very subject last evening. If we were in Europe and especially on a budget and had to stay several days longer, it'd be pretty scary, not knowing anyone and worrying if we'd have enough money for a hotel, meals, etc. to see us through.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Airspace closed:
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, UK
    Partial closures:
    Italy (northern airspace closed until Monday)
    Norway (limited flights in north)
    Spain (northern airports closed)
    Flights operating:
    Greece, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine

• The impact is likely to exceed the airspace shutdown after the 11 September 2001 attacks, according to the International Civil Aviation Organisation

• TV presenter Dan Snow is using five rigid inflatable boats to help people who are stranded in France by carrying people from Calais to Dover throughout Sunday

• P&O ferry crossings between Portsmouth and Bilbao are fully booked until Wednesday, as are those from Hull to Zeebrugge and Rotterdam over the weekend

• British Airways cancelled all long and short-haul flights in and out of the UK on Monday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8627545.stm

It worries me a little because of my lung disease and living higher up but, unlike Karen, I've yet to see any settled dust, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    If we were in Europe and especially on a budget and had to stay several days longer, it'd be pretty scary, not knowing anyone and worrying if we'd have enough money for a hotel, meals, etc. to see us through.
    Mary, in situations like this, that is where people should come together and help each other out. I imagine many would offer accommodation if some have run out of money. What I don't like about this, is that hotels are taking advantage of the situation and charge more for rooms. For the people travelling to meeting, there are at least the internet these days.

Chris, I don't think you need to worry about your lungs, but in any case keep an eye out and stay inside if you see the dust cloud coming towards you.

What a mess this is!

Here's a later image of how the cloud is evolving:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My dad won't make his business trip, which is disappointing. He was due to fly out yesterday morning, and has been told the earliest he could leave would be Saturday evening - 3 days after the meetings end.

Didn't this volcano take TWO YEARS before it stopped erupting in the 1800s?

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    Didn't this volcano take TWO YEARS before it stopped erupting in the 1800s?
    This is what I heard too!

It erupted between 1821 and 1823 and when it ceased 1823 it triggered a bigger volcano- the Katla- which erupted in 1823.
    I enjoyed my train ride to London- you meet so many people with different stories. My US colleagues couldn't make it here. One US lady who came over for a vacation with her family on my recommendation (they were at the place Edwina's Secretary and I were 4 years ago) couldn't go back. One UK colleague is in Mexico with his family, another German colleague is stuck in Hong Kong and they say they cannot get him back before 1st of May.
    2 South African ladies I met in the hotel are stranded since wednesday last week. The bad thing is you have to check your airline all the time, are on the phone no end or are trying to access overloaded servers. I have already booked a train ticket back home on Friday but still hope I can make it flying- stay tuned

UK airports permitted to reopen

Let the chaos begin.