Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danish... and European airspace shuts down

Danish... and European airspace shuts down

Glad I'm not going anywhere! My sister and BIL, though, are expected to return from Thailand on sunday - wonder if they'll be delayed. The Queens Birthday seems to go as sceduled, so far. Some guests may not arrive on time, though.

"Denmark will become a no fly zone as of 6pm local time and royalty will have no exceptions

Queen Margrete II will still celebrate her 70th birthday tomorrow in fine sunny weather, but the volcanic ash cloud will put a dampener on proceedings with many of her foreign guests left stranded.

The volcanic eruption in Iceland has spewed a heavy cloud of debris into the atmosphere which has been blown across Europe by northwesterly winds.

At least 25,000 people across Europe are affected by flight cancellations and Denmark is no exception.

Danish airspace has gradually been shut down and will be fully closed by 6pm this evening as the ash cloud prevents aircraft from flying.
    Air traffic authority Naviair said it was unclear when Danish airspace would reopen.

Copenhagen Airport will shut from 5pm and many high-profile guests who were expected to fly in for the galla performance at the Royal Theatre this evening are likely to be absent.

Around 1200 people have been invited to the event to mark the Queen’s birthday, including the Swedish and Norwegian royal families. They are reportedly making other arrangements to travel to Denmark by train.
    Danish royal court spokeswoman Lene Balleby told BT newspaper that ´many of the guests are trying to make alternative arrangements, but they had no exact figures on how many would be unable to make it."

This is a link from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/video...deoId=72554816
    Last edited by Randi; 04-17-2010 at 03:46 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Not only the Danish airspace closed down but most of Northern Europe- UK, Netherlands etc.
    I am going to London on Monday- I suppose the vocano will not take care of my appointments

I was just thinking whether you were going to or from London. What a mess it's going to be! I don't think a Danish airport has ever has ALL flights cancelled.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Just checked- all flights to and from London were cancelled today. And then they shut down Brussels and Amsterdam because too many flights were re-routed via these airports.
    Nature influences us more than we can think.

Barbara, I hope all is back to nomal on monday, but I doubt it.

In this link, there’s a picture of Eyjafjallajökull Volcano, Iceland

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=43252

Well, that's a mouthful!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Well, that's a mouthful!

The whole of UK airspace was closed down early this morning and will remain that way at least until 7am tomorrow.

There was an ex-BA pilot on the radio this morning who once had all four of his engines stopped by volcanic ash at around 38,000 feet. They glided and were down to 12,000 feet before they got three engines going again. Oh I'll bet that was a fun flight to be on.

It is the same down under all Air New Zealand flights to Europe and the UK have been cancelled.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Today they closed all German airports except Munich which is not much help as there are not many places to go to
    London is closed at least until tomorrow afternoon so I re-booked my Monday flight and am now going by train. Will have a night in Brussels in between
    We just forget how big the world is when we can fly all the time.

My dad is due to fly out to Miami on Sunday on a business trip that he really can't afford to miss, so we're hoping for the all clear by then!

This is going to be costing the airlines one huge amount of money, methinks.

Hope the journey to London by train goes well for you, Barbara, and that you have a nice stay! You must come again this time next year when I'll be down there for university.

Zimbabwe 07/13

It was "funny" to see Copenhagen Airports' " Arrival/ Departure site today. There weren't any! ALL flights are cancelled. Imagine the queue that want re-booking! I hope my sister and BIL won't have any problems getting back from Thailand on sunday, they're 70 and don't need any more problems. My BIL fell 6 meters and broke his nose last week.

Barbara, I hope you'll have a pleasant train ride! Perhaps give Lut a ring while you're in Brussels.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    My dad is due to fly out to Miami on Sunday on a business trip that he really can't afford to miss, so we're hoping for the all clear by then!

This is going to be costing the airlines one huge amount of money, methinks.

Hope the journey to London by train goes well for you, Barbara, and that you have a nice stay! You must come again this time next year when I'll be down there for university.
    I'm always there for London Bookfair

It's payback time for Iceland.

Give them a hard time about their banking system, will you?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    It's payback time for Iceland.

Give them a hard time about their banking system, will you?

Probably a sensible move to cancel your flight now, Barbara. The situation in England is still very unclear. Glasgow has flights going to the Scottish Islands and Ireland. We have also had limited transatlantic flights since 8am. They are still diverting transatlantic flights here from London though, and the time when flights might start again from London keeps being put back.

I was wondering whether you could see the cloud Karen. The only thing I'm sure is that volcanoes do not worry about meetings.