Thread: Strong Puppy!

Strong Puppy!

So i posted a long while back but,

I have a 6 month old black lab, and she is STRONG. we've been going to classes but, whenever she sees other dogs, or gets distracted she goes completly nuts and makes a run for them (she loves other dogs..and birds)!. A few months back we got the Halti, and it works very well to an extent - she'll still pull you to another dog. So my questions are, is the halti really the best for this dog? or are there any tricks that I can practice with her for walking?

If anyone can input their training or anything with walking it would help so much, thank you!

Yep she sounds like a Labrador puppy! They are usually pretty energetic as puppies, and some have a high prey-drive like my yellow girl, Rita (she is pictured below in my signature.)
    I use the Gentle Leader head collar on Rita, and it works very well. It is designed to work the same way as a horse halter, if you lead the head, the body will follow. When attached to a leash, the dog should always be walking at heel, preferably on your left side. There should be some slack in the leash, and when you are correcting her you should pull in the slack in the leash.
    Sorry, I don't know too much about the Halti, but you said you are in obedience classes? Ask your instructor for some pointers, they will point you in the right direction!

Good luck with her!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Head collars are usually the best way to go with strong dogs. There's a person in my neighborhood who owns a huge Old English Sheepdog, & it seems to work quite well on him. Whatever you do, don't use a harness. These actually enhance their willingness to pull (think about Huskies on a sled....)