Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken washing machine

Broken washing machine

After 14 years and many repairs the piece of junk I have has finally bit the dust. Hubby is on-line looking at new front end models.
    Any suggestions?

We would discourage your from getting a Maytag washing machine, as the quality has gone downhill, the one we got didn't even last 6 years! Parts rotted out, and the machine was shoddily built. It was quite a disappointment. Make sure you check online reviews before you give anyone your money!
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with you there Karen. I assume you mean front loaders, in that case Kenmore has the best from what I have heard.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I bought a new front loading high efficiency LG washer last Feb, 2009. I LOVE IT!!!!

I went to the library and checked with Consumer Reports.

Front loader for sure...uses less water and energy, and cleans just as well without that agitator!

Good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've had an LG front loader since 2008 (I think) and noticed an immediate drop in my water bill. The front loaders use HE detergent. A bottle of that lasts a LONG time.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    I've had an LG front loader since 2008 (I think) and noticed an immediate drop in my water bill. The front loaders use HE detergent. A bottle of that lasts a LONG time.
    Really? Can you quantify it? 50%? I have heard, but not experienced it first hand, that when one factors in the cost of the machine itself and the price of the detergent, the offset with the water bill is nominal. Now, that isn't to say there aren't other reasons for the front loaders besides saving money on water...but, I wonder about the marketing angle of things sometimes.

My top loader washer shows no signs of breaking (knock on wood). I will investigate front loaders at that time, and pray that the price has continued to fall.

As an aside- I have also heard that you can use 'normal' detergent...though you have to cut way back on it.

Funny you should ask - my washer repairman just left.

We have a Whirlpool Cabrio - top loading with front load action. Having a minor problem right now. Nothing to warrant a new machine.

But I did ask him, as a repairman, which is the best washer out there - as far as fewest repairs. He said SpeedQueen.

^^ What does that mean, "top loading with front load action"??

I too vote for staying far away from Maytag. The first thing I noted when I used my new one was that all the clothes come out in a tangled mess. Everything wrapped around everything else and all wrinkled. I hated trying to pull out one thing and getting the whole mess on the floor at my feet. Luckily I left that monster behind with HIM. I have an apartment size toploader where I am now and it's ok. I look forward to the day when I have a house and get to buy a new washer/dryer. Contemplating either the Samsung or Whirlpool front loaders.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

My washer and dryer are on their last legs. The washer doesn't always wring things dry enough to dry and the dryer takes forever to dry anything. When we had then serviced last time the guy told us they are to the point its going to cost more then they are worth. I've been looking at a Bosch front loader pair. I've heard good things from friends about them.

I've also heard bad things about the Maytag washers and dryers.

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by robinh View Post
    My washer and dryer are on their last legs. The washer doesn't always wring things dry enough to dry and the dryer takes forever to dry anything.
    Over a year ago, my dryer wouldn't dry anything! And, since I line dry for half the year, I couldn't figure out WHY it would wear out so soon.

I took apart the dryer vent, and am nearly embarrassed to tell you that in 8 years- I had never, EVER cleaned it. It was so full of hair/fibers/dryer things that I couldn't believe it. I am beyond lucky that a fire did not start. I thank God that for whatever reason, I chose then to clean it. I cannot even consider what my negligence would have done to my 8 cats.

The dryer worked perfectly after that, and I have cleaned it annually since. Just an FYI.

As for the not wringing part, that only happens to me when I misload the washer. Too much stuff on one side leaves wet clothes. A re-placement of the items, and a re-spin leaves everything wrung out.

we had a kenmore that lasted 19 years. now we have a Roper we purchased the end of 2009.

We have a Bosch front loader washer and a dryer. The spin cycle on the washer is loud (we call it out plane in the garage ready to take off!), and yeah sometimes the clothes come out in a tangled mess, but that's easily fixed by just reducing the spin cycle to a slower spin. Good luck!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Being a retired GE employee I can buy GE or HOTPOINT at a huge discount. I would recommend the LG front loader since my research tells me they are a best buy. I will forgo my discount the next go around even though I have had no issues with my 7 year old GE washer and dryer.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown