Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irwin is home..I need some advice on possible euthanasia

Irwin was on the Amitryptiline and then Clomicalm (I posted about it last year), because he developed a spraying habit because of his urinary issues. Neither helped. We thought the spraying was behavioral, but now I feel its because his bladder bothers him and he associates the box with pain. When he would spray, he'd stand up and push push push like he was trying to pass urine and only a little would come out.

Good news is, he has been using the litter and burying his peepee. So maybe returning to old habits is a good sign.

I'm a firm believer that raw foods solve most digestive issues in dogs & cats. Cats & Dogs were never meant to digest cooked foods, well not in large amounts like many people feed them. Try a raw diet to see how he does

Also, from 2007 to last month, Irwin was raw fed. My 2 labs are, and I had switched him over because I feel the same way about pet foods (my labs do excellent on a raw diet)....but his bladder still needed to be cleaned out, I dont know if the raw contributed to his problems or they were already there.

The vet told me that while a grain free diet is beneficial, its not ALL about grains, its about the PH of his urine, because a high or low PH can contribute to the formation of stones/crystals, and the prescription diet is designed for that, the raw one isn't.

Does not sound like he is checking out as yet. You AND THE VET just need to find a way for him to feel more comfortable.
    Thanks!! We are blending his meals with a cup of water because he never drinks water, so hopefully we can keep him flushed out....and we'll try some supplements. Its just very frustrating!

Here he is last night

I;m also trying to keep him stress free, he's in a room with his mom who I also own and I bought him a bunch of kitty play centers to keep him busy.

Like you, right now, our Samson is fighting a bad UTI/blockage, and has the thickening of the bladder walls. He is getting Elavil, Dasaquin, Fish Oil, and is still on Baytril(for a few more days. He eats his canned SO with 30cc's of spring water added. Sam is not even 2 years old. It was because of a blockage, that he was able to be rescued. He was near death when he was found on the farm. Like you we are willing to do all we can for Samson. He has been on the Elavil for several months and is doing well on it. No lethargy or irritability. Just do NOT even consider combing me(he does get combed)!! I have to admit, there was a time, when putting Samson to sleep was considered. However, Barry and I talked about it, and decided to give him more time and see what happens. I just hope Samson and Irwin will be around for a long time....Hugs and Prayers!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Moosmom, I am so sorry you had a negative experience with amitryptiline. I have had the exact opposite happen with Ming, he no longer fights with Mac, and he become even more of a super love cat than he was before. My vet said this med has different reactions with different cats. She said 60% of cats do very well on it, but for the other 40%, it is just as you described. I believe that this med has saved Ming's life, because he had chronic blockages and his bladder wall had thickened as well. He is such a happy, healthy, cat now that I would recommend that she should at least talk to her vet about it. When it works, and the dosage has to be tinkered with a bit, it works wonders!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    Moosmom, I am so sorry you had a negative experience with amitryptiline. I have had the exact opposite happen with Ming, he no longer fights with Mac, and he become even more of a super love cat than he was before. My vet said this med has different reactions with different cats. She said 60% of cats do very well on it, but for the other 40%, it is just as you described. I believe that this med has saved Ming's life, because he had chronic blockages and his bladder wall had thickened as well. He is such a happy, healthy, cat now that I would recommend that she should at least talk to her vet about it. When it works, and the dosage has to be tinkered with a bit, it works wonders!
    Its an anti-depressant so Im wondering why it helps thickening of the bladder wall? Does it make them high to the point where they don't care about their bladder?

Justine, my sister was on elavil to relax spasms in her bladder (she had MS). If the bladder and sphincter muscles spasm and contract, it will feel like one really has to GO but can't, because of the muscles tightening.

It doesn't change the thickness of the bladder wall, but helps the UTI problem in other ways.

It is a tricyclic anti-depressant, used in humans and other animals. Most find it may space them a tad, but it is not a sedating med (in my memory).

It sounds like you have tried it, though, and it didn't work. Or is your vet trying it again now that the stones are all flushed out?

Irwin is a SUPER handsome boy and looks like a very beloved kitty. He is sure to heal well with his meowmie's love and devotion.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Justine, my sister was on elavil to relax spasms in her bladder (she had MS). If the bladder and sphincter muscles spasm and contract, it will feel like one really has to GO but can't, because of the muscles tightening.

It doesn't change the thickness of the bladder wall, but helps the UTI problem in other ways.

It is a tricyclic anti-depressant, used in humans and other animals. Most find it may space them a tad, but it is not a sedating med (in my memory).

It sounds like you have tried it, though, and it didn't work. Or is your vet trying it again now that the stones are all flushed out?

Irwin is a SUPER handsome boy and looks like a very beloved kitty. He is sure to heal well with his meowmie's love and devotion.

Thanks for the explanation!! No he is not on it anymore, but like you said, maybe we should try it again now that he's all flushed out. He was put on it for spraying but he has stones then so maybe thats why it didn't help. The vet we have now is not a fan of that but rather the Clomicalm....I am going to bring it up to our vet tho! If anything, we will go back to the vet that put him on it. Thanks!

BTW, good news is he seems better today, not as much in and out of the litter.

I'm glad to read he is a bit better today. I am still hoping a solution can be found to help him be comfortable at least. He is such a handsome boy.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Mixing extra water in with Irwin's food is an excellent idea! You can also try putting extra water bowls of different types in different locations. Smudge won't drink from a stainless bowl in the kitchen, but he enjoys drinking from a glass bowl in the living room. You could get him a cat drinking fountain, too - some cats prefer running water, as it's how their ancestors chose clean, safe drinking water in the wild. (I got one for Smudge, but he was scared of it. You just never know!)

You can also add Cosequin to his wet food. It's a chicken/fish flavored powder that soothes and protects the inside of the bladder and urethra, although it's primarily sold as a joint supplement!

Grain-free food is a good way to keep a cat's urinary pH high enough to avoid irritation. There are a lot of grain-free brands available nowadays, and many pet stores will give you samples to see if your cat will eat a specific food. Smudge enjoys Indigo Moon kibble (by Solid Gold), and gets his meds mixed into Soulistic canned food.

Love, Columbine

I have a foster with the same condition. Stress can bring it on; she had been bouncing from foster home to foster home. I had her on Cosequin for awhile; now she's not on everything and thriving. But, every cat is different.

I think the best barometer for a cat's well-being is: how well is he/she eating? That has been a solid indicator for my cats; which have had a wide range of health issues. If Irwin is eating, drinking, and doesn't have major behavioral changes, I would say just manage his condition as best you can. Good luck and give him a scritch for me, please.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    I have a foster with the same condition. Stress can bring it on; she had been bouncing from foster home to foster home. I had her on Cosequin for awhile; now she's not on everything and thriving. But, every cat is different.

I think the best barometer for a cat's well-being is: how well is he/she eating? That has been a solid indicator for my cats; which have had a wide range of health issues. If Irwin is eating, drinking, and doesn't have major behavioral changes, I would say just manage his condition as best you can. Good luck and give him a scritch for me, please.
    Actually I posted previously he NEVER DRINKS, but I have great news!!! I took the vets advice and went to Petco and got a kitty fountain and HE DRANK!!

Im totally shocked.

And I agree with the appetite thing, his appetite is great, he would eat all day if I let him. He also still plays with his little furry mice.

I also try and pay attention to behavioral things like, does he get up and sit on the window ledge to watch the birds anymore? Which he does.

He's still in and out of the litter, but he had surgery 3 days ago, so I want to wait and see if it gets better. I will pick up the Cosequin though. The dr is going to call me for an update tomorrow, so we'll see what she says.

Here he is this afternoon, he doesn't look terribly uncomfortable..

Last edited by JustineNYC; 04-12-2010 at 12:29 PM.

I dunno...looks pretty tense to me!

What a gorgeous boy. I am so happy to hear he is doing so well - and DRINKING WATER! This all bodes very well.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

He looks so happy and content. I'm so glad to hear that he's drinking too. Hopefully he'll continue to do well.

I wanted to update that I spoke with his doctor this morning. She said the blood in his urine and the having the urge to pee is normal right now until his inflammation goes away, his surgery was not even a week ago.

I asked her about the thickening of the bladder wall and if she thinks its inhumane to have him live like this and she said no, we just have to find a way to manage it.

She is open to trying the Elavil or Clomicalm again, but wants to wait til he is healed so we can really see if he is going to have the urge to pee once his bladder heals.

She is real happy the fountain worked and he is drinking water too.

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone for their input! I knew you guys would understand my situation and concern! Thanks a bunch!