Thread: Litterbox smells - female cats worse?

Litterbox smells - female cats worse?

Hi PetTalk friends,

My limited experience with 5 cats over several years is that the females left much stinkier poo in the litterbox than the males. These were all "fixed" adult kitties, and ate basically the same dry high-quality cat food.

Anyone have any info or observations to add to this question? Do you notice a difference in the strength of litterbox odor due to gender? Inquiring minds want to know!

P.S. If you receive an email from my girl kitty Noodle offering a bribe to change your answer, please ignore it!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Hi Pam. It's nice to see you posting again. Ever since my cats have been eating a high protein grain free diet, their stools have been much stinkier. I now have 2 males and 2 females and no I don't notice any difference in the smell factor. They all produce stinky stools. I prefer to use unscented scoopable litter but I've been having a problem with odor control. Hopefully some day I'll be able to find one that really works well. Just tonight I came home to a very stinky home and I scoop 2 times a day.

I was jsut about to say the same thing. EXCEPT, when the cat is on antibiotics, the poop is really stinky, even despite giving the cat acidophilus!! We clean the boxes twice a day OR when needed....
    Nine is Fine!!

I use odor control Tidy Cats scoopable litter. I also add some Baking Soda. This all helps cut down the smell. Plus, all my boxes have hoods on them. I should have listed that first, as that made the biggest difference in containing the odor.

Like others, I feed a high quality grain free kibble.

Well my cats stools must be extra stinky because even when they use the 2 litter boxes that have hoods on them, I can still smell it. Pearl just did an extra stinky poop this morning in the hooded litter box in my bedroom and it smelled like something had died. I always keep plenty of Oust on hand for times like this.

I have 4 girls and Bad A$$ Buddy. I don't have any problems with odors coming from the girls. Buddy on the otherhand, unless he drinks alot of water, his urine is VERY concentrated. I try to mix water with his canned food to dilute the urine. It works everytime.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Well, poop is poop, and poop stinks! But food with Yucca schidigera extract in it makes for less stinky poop.

Love, Columbine

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My son's 2 girls are raunchy!!! If they would just learn to cover it EVERY TIME before they got out of the box, I wouldn't have anything to complain about!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Cam's litter box doesn't have a bad smell to it & I clean it once a week. Its larger then a normal kitty litter box so she never has to poop in the same spot twice.

I keep it in the bathroom under the sink. If I put my face near it, then ya it smells, but if I'm in the bathroom doing whatever I never notice it. I forget bout it most of the time, until I see her going into it.

Cam eats the same home cooked food as Digi as its kitty safe. Even Digi has non smelly poops. If she has an accident int eh house I don't know about it until I see it.

Since I live in a small apt. I use three 19 gallon Rubbermaid bins. One is equal to 2 litterboxes and is so much easier to manage. They're deep so the litter doesn't go flying out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for all the responses!

I guess I'll have to do a more scientific study of this smelly topic - my personal survey of 5 kitties is not a sufficiently diverse population!

You've mentioned lots of good ideas - food ingredients, litter box style and location, litter ingredients etc. Thanks for your contributions!

Although not smell-related, I have my litter boxes all setup within larger plastic pans to help contain the flying particles when a kitty gets enthusiastic about covering.

I also noted that while sharing a house with a newborn human, I noticed the smell of the diaper pail quite often. However, the baby's mom seemed to always notice the litter box smell... I guess if it's your baby, you don't mind the smell as much!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Binky's poops are horrendous; they will knock you out. Archy...well, his really don't stink at all. They're supposedly brothers, but I guess that doesn't make much difference.

I'm a multi-scooper, too. Gotta have a clean box(es). I'd like to try the larger Rubbermaid thing, but can't figure out where to put it.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

I bought some "No Offense" Natural Litter Box Deodorizer at Target last week and it's made with zeolite. I tried sprinkling it over the litter and it did seem to work but of course they want you to do this every time you scoop which I can't do because I have 4 boxes. I'd be going through boxes of this probably every other day. The litter I've been trying also has zeolite in it too and it seemed to work great when it was very fresh.

I now bought some Fresh Step Lavendar scented litter to add to my existing unscented litter to see if this will help a bit. I really don't want to use scented litter but hopefully a little will help do the trick.

With mine, it seems more to be age than gender-dependent. Diamond (female, 12); Pink Nose (male, 12) and Bubba (male, 14) all lay poops of mass destruction!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb