Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Minnie Miracle?

A Minnie Miracle?

Some of you might recall that I have a semi- feral cat, Minnie, that has lived under my bed for at least 6 years(after living in the basement and a closet for 3 before that ).
    Anyhow, I have tried many things to bring Minnie out of her clam shell. I finally resolved myself to the fact that living under my bed, with nocturnal trips out and about, might be as good as it gets.
    Minnie will let me pick her up, though she tries to get away, and is very tense when I groom her. There has been no contact initiated by Mins, ever.
    The last few months, I have noticed her peek out from under the bed while I am in the room, and while she would slowly go back under the bed if I approached, she wouldn't dart back under. At times, she has stayed still, about 3 or 4 feet from me when I would put food down, but nearly always went back under the bed at the last moment. A few weeks ago, she began eating while I was still right there. I had never tried to touch her before, and did this one time. She darted.
    This am, I got up at the crack of you know what. It was 430, and Mins was sitting on the cat bed at the window, looking outside the open window. She knew I was up, she saw and heard me get out of bed. I just kind of ignored her, and picked up the room a bit. I was standing by her, she was still laying there. I made a slow move towards her, she did NOTHING evasive. Mins let me pet her. For the first time in nearly 9 YEARS! I could hardly contain my emotions. 9 Years. She purred and drooled, both of which she has done before while I have petted her, she stood up and sought out the pets, something I have thought she has wanted to do for awhile, and would nearly do while hunched over, but still turn away. She was letting me pet her just like the others would do. It was so unreal. I did so for 5 or 6 minutes, and slowly backed off. She stayed up there for a few more minutes, then scurried away. I haven't seen her since.

I so want this to be the breakthrough I have prayed for, that Mins joins us for love, LIGHT, and fresh air all the time.

It is so hard to express the hugeness of this mornings event. 9 years.

AWWW! I can just imagine how HUGE that felt - especially to Minnie.

Prayers that this is her breakthrough for many more years of loving!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Awwww! Seems Minnie needs to process things for a long time before she gets brave enough to try new things. Hopefully, once she's process this outing, she'll do it more often.

Cammie isn't a recluse but after 7 years, she still growls and hisses at me if I pet her or pick her up. She's absolutely in love with my husband.

Minnie gives me hope that she'll accept me one of these days.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I completely understand how amazing that it. Abby lived under the bed for a year when we first got Callie. I was jumping for joy the first day she came out... a year later, she finally jumps ON the bed (in fact just started it this week and stayed on the bed for ten minutes today!!!) I can only imagine 9 years of her hiding under the bed. I'd be unimginably thrilled to see such an unexpected change in behavior.

Concatulatios! wow you are patient for nine years. Kudos to you and Miss Min Sunshine and happiness always!

I feel tears running down my cheek here- yes I think we CAN understand a little bit of this. And now she hides as if she is scared of herself - but she will come back

Brings tears to the eyes.... I can only hope that my Jorgie will allow me to do that to him some day. 6 years and his behavior is almost like your Minnie's. Maybe some of them do come around after all!

Congrats to Minnie!!!

Aw, I love stories such as this. My Yodie was the same way for years, although not quite as fearful as Minnie, but pet her, hold her? No way. About a month ago she actually sat on my lap for at least half an hour. I don't know what brought it on and I don't care. It was wonderful. She hasn't done it since but I just know she will. Minnie has made a breakthrough and we're looking forward to more good reports. This is huge!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

That is awesome! I probably would have cried and cried. It is so amazing when they finally have that breakthrough. Now that she has seen how pleasant it is to be petted I am sure she will be back out for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    And now she hides as if she is scared of herself - but she will come back
    Barbara- this is exactly it! Last night, she sat on the window seat around 9 or so- that is 'early' for her. Jonah decided he would try to pet her and got within a foot, and she hopped off to the chest- but- didn't immediately dart under the bed (but did, in a minute).

This am, she remained under the bed at wet food time...which is not totally unusual, but, was a bit upsetting to me. I expected a difference.

So, I will stay with my typical routine, and try not to 'rush' things...lol. Very hard for me.

Thanks for the well-wishes- including the one from FB .

awesome!!.. I love when stuff like this happens... so unexpected.. and way to rewarding..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I know how you feel about Minnie coming out of her shell.
    My Miquelito, Precious , John Hancock and Pouncierge were terrified of me when they first came here
    Actually Pouncierge still wont let me pet her, but at least shes no longer hiding.
    Thats such Great News and we are betting the once Minnie decides that you are all right , that she will be Your Shadow Cat from now on.
    Con ^^ Cat ^^ Ulations from the Found Cat Hotel ^^
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

That is just amazing! I know how I would feel if Jessica sat still and allowed me to walk up and pet her. Jessica will come out from her usual spot behind the settee and I still remember the first day that she didn't break into a trot when going past us! In the past couple of years she has started to purr. She purrs while she is eating, she purrs while we are eating, and she lies behind the settee at her radiator and purrs.

Every three months we catch her to give her a comb, otherwise the fur mats at the bottom of her back. That is the only time we can pet her. She tolerates it, but doesn't like it. It is such a shame too, because Jessica is such a teddy bear of a cat, with such thick fur, that you just want to scoop her up and give her the biggest squeeeeeeeeeze! Perhaps that is what she is afraid of.

Clever girl Minnie! I hope you go from strength to strength.

Oh wow, this is a huge success for you & for Minnie. It is just
    fantastic, after 9 years of hiding. I can imagine, it made your day.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well Congrats of the Minnie Miracle.. Minnie sounds just like,, I mean just like my Nuggette.. She is the same exact way.. I very rarely get to touch or hold Nuggette due to she is a under the bed darter..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>