Some of you might recall that I have a semi- feral cat, Minnie, that has lived under my bed for at least 6 years(after living in the basement and a closet for 3 before that ).
Anyhow, I have tried many things to bring Minnie out of her clam shell. I finally resolved myself to the fact that living under my bed, with nocturnal trips out and about, might be as good as it gets.
Minnie will let me pick her up, though she tries to get away, and is very tense when I groom her. There has been no contact initiated by Mins, ever.
The last few months, I have noticed her peek out from under the bed while I am in the room, and while she would slowly go back under the bed if I approached, she wouldn't dart back under. At times, she has stayed still, about 3 or 4 feet from me when I would put food down, but nearly always went back under the bed at the last moment. A few weeks ago, she began eating while I was still right there. I had never tried to touch her before, and did this one time. She darted.
This am, I got up at the crack of you know what. It was 430, and Mins was sitting on the cat bed at the window, looking outside the open window. She knew I was up, she saw and heard me get out of bed. I just kind of ignored her, and picked up the room a bit. I was standing by her, she was still laying there. I made a slow move towards her, she did NOTHING evasive. Mins let me pet her. For the first time in nearly 9 YEARS! I could hardly contain my emotions. 9 Years. She purred and drooled, both of which she has done before while I have petted her, she stood up and sought out the pets, something I have thought she has wanted to do for awhile, and would nearly do while hunched over, but still turn away. She was letting me pet her just like the others would do. It was so unreal. I did so for 5 or 6 minutes, and slowly backed off. She stayed up there for a few more minutes, then scurried away. I haven't seen her since.

I so want this to be the breakthrough I have prayed for, that Mins joins us for love, LIGHT, and fresh air all the time.

It is so hard to express the hugeness of this mornings event. 9 years.