Thread: Help! My kitties are suddenly viciously fighting.

Help! My kitties are suddenly viciously fighting.

Hi all -

I've posted a lot recently on the Cat Health board but need help on a new behavioral issue. I'm Mommy to Blackie (stable and doing great after his first CRF crash a couple months ago) and his littermate Toby. They're 8 years old and fixed males.

After bringing Blackie back from his monthly exam/blood panel this morning at 8:00, I quickly went to feed both of the boys (they had fasted for 12 hours) before I headed off to work. Something set off Toby (a smell on Blackie?) and the two cats went into a fighting match like I've never seen. They've had the usual territorial tiffs and play fight from time to time in the past. But this time it was just awful... nothing like anything I've seen in their 8 years with us. It sounded like I had two mountain lions in the house. There was very rough fighting, howling, growling and hissing... and it wouldn't stop... running, banging into walls, knocking things over... it was quite a scene. Fur was everywhere. I could not separate them (and I was scared to get too close). I eventually got them both in separate rooms for a 30+ minute "time out" so that they could both cool down. After carefully letting them out, it started all over again. I seriously thought they would kill each other.

After some time apart today, I thought we could try letting them roam free in the house again. I bought the pheromone spray and wall diffuser to help calm them down. Still no luck. David and I had to separate them or another serious brawl would have ensued. What's weird thing is that Toby is the submissive one, but now he's being the aggressor. The minute he sees Blackie he starts hissing and growling. Blackie is alpha cat so Toby's behavior is both confusing and upsetting him... Blackie won't back down the minute Toby gives him "attitude" and goes in for the attack.

I've now set up Toby in his own "Kitty Bedroom" for the night with his favorite blankets, food and litter box... hopefully it will also make him feel safer and secure (the mere sight of Blackie makes him go beserk!!). But we can't keep this up.

Any suggestions as to what might have caused it (perhaps Toby is fed up with Blackie's special treatment over past 2 months, or there were weird smells from the vet, etc). Blackie has been in and out of the vet 20+ times in the last 3 months and it never created issues before. Any recommendations on how to reintroduce them to each other without another vicious catfight?

Thanks so much for your help.

Purrs, Lisa

Go get a can of Feliway. Spray the room they are both in. It instantly calms them down. Trust me, I've used it. It has an enzyme in it that only cats can detect.

Any pet store carries it. I find the defusers do not work as well.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks - I got a spray at Petco called No-Stress by Pet Organics and it contains simulated feline pheromones. Is Feliway different or better?

I find that organic stuff similar to Feliway isn't as potent as Feliway.The organic stuff is made from herbs and flowers and other stuff. I've used both and that's what I've noticed.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

I like to use the plug in Feliway just to keep the calming level constant. Good luck with your boys....
    Nine is Fine!!

Weird question... but are you sure you have the right cat?
    Mixups do happen, esp. when 2 cats have identical markings. the same happens with dogs.

I would take a good close look at the cat to ensure it is 100% your cat...

Other then that, I have no idea, I'm a cat mommy in learning *pokes Cam*

give both cats a bath, in case there is a weird smell?

Honestly I was wondering if they gave you the wrong cat, just like King. I've seen mix-ups happen before

LOL - I had wondered the same thing (if it was the right cat).... but it's definitely our boy. He has a bald patch on his left hind leg from when they shaved it for a blood test a few weeks ago. Fair question though!

We did the "kitty wipes" on Blackie to to clean him and get rid of whatever smell was on him... but by then, the damage was already done between the two kitties.

I bought the Feliway spray and plug-in tonight (ouch$$$). I sprayed all over... and (knock on wood) the boys already seem to be WAY calmer tonight. They actually sat side-by-side and ate from their bowls a little while ago. A small victory! They're pretty much ignoring each other, but I'll take that any day. I'll keep the plug-in going and spray each day to keep the "happy juice" flowing.

Thanks for the advice - it's funny you all had mentioned Feliway because 2 more coworkers/friends swore by it at work today. So far, I'm a believer.

I may need to spray some on myself now. ;-)

Purrs (and peace),
    Lisa

Glad to hear about the small Victory

Yes, the Plug in Feliway is $$$. BUT, once you have the plug in, you can go to a catalogue, like Care a lot pets. Right now the refills are on sale!! I stocked up!
    Nine is Fine!!

I'm another satisfied Feliway user!
    I've used it successfully for integration issues and also a urinating issue that was behavioral and not health related.
    The spray is good for stopping inappropriate spraying or marking with urine and also for spraying on towels that go in the carrier during vet visits.
    The plug-ins are great for integrations, keeping cats who are more high-strung calmer, etc.

It's always a good idea, when taking one pet of a multi-pet household, to take a towel and rub it on all the pets NOT going to the vet, put that in the carrier with the pet who IS going to the vet...use that towel to rub the pet down with real well before bringing them back into the home.
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Feliway is a little expensive but SO well worth it! Glad it's working for ya.