Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale just before Easter

A cautionary tale just before Easter

Last night I got a call from my daughter. Her friend had found a bunny behind a dumpster in an alley and she thought there was something wrong with its foot. Having two pet bunnies, I said to bring it over, we could foster it overnight.

Grace brought me an adorable all black Netherland Dwarf (teeny, tiny with little uppy ears). We set it down on the floor in the bathroom and it was immediately apparent that its back legs weren't working. My heart sank. You could feel along its back where there was a definite divot in its spine. So we scooped it back up, made some calls and took it to the local 24-hour vet clinic and had it put to sleep.

Folks, don't get a rabbit for your family for Easter unless you really know how to take care of it. Their backs are fragile, their digestive systems are tough, but not invincible. They really should live inside or in a reinforced (to keep local dogs out) hutch where they can be seen from the house. And if you find you can't keep it, don't let a pet rabbit out to run loose in the neighborhood. They don't survive like a wild rabbit because they aren't wild. Find an animal shelter, a rabbit rescue group, or a local vet to take it.

Little Delilah (we found out he had boy bits after he died) will be buried today in my back yard in our bunny cemetery. And thank you for listening to my rant.

Becky

....and a very valid rant at that. Bunnies are like any other house pet. Do not bring them home if you can't care for them. RIP little one. You did the last kind thing for that bunny that could be done.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Oh that is sad. I totally agree with you. Any type of a pet should never be given as a gift. A pet is something you have to think about and decide if you can take care of it and know how to properly care for it. There is too much excitement at holidays for any kind of a pet to be brought into the home.

RIP sweet bunny. I'm so glad he's no longer suffering. It's so great your daughter's friend, your daughter, and you all helped this bunny. The outcome is very sad, but it could have been much more sad had the bunny been left to suffer.

I've had 3 bunnies in my life, all of which drive home your points. All 3 I consider rescues, even though I bought the first from a crappy pet store. I bought her because there was an obvious problem with her leg and the pet store was completely ignoring the fact that there was anything wrong. I was just a teenager, but my dad helped me get the bunny help. Her back was luckily in pretty good shape and she didn't seem to be in any pain, but she has a messed up leg that she'd never have mobility in. She got around pretty well for a three-legged bunny.

The second bunny I had was a lop that my friend found hopping down the road late one very cold night (well, Florida cold). He was a totally awesome bunny. He had an "old soul" and he was just amazing.

The third bunny I had was a mini rex. He was an "Easter bunny reject". A family my old boss knew got him for their Kids for Easter. A few months later the kids lost interest and asked my old boss to help find him a new home. The cage he'd been kept in was so small it was horrible. I adopted him. He was a very spunk bunny, but totally awesome.

Their backs are fragile, their digestive systems are tough, but not invincible. They really should live inside or in a reinforced (to keep local dogs out) hutch where they can be seen from the house.
    They also have rather wear little hearts and even a "dog proof" outside hutch can be fatal. We had a covered chain-link "dog run" that we kept outside our back door. We thought it was a nice safe place for our bunny (the rex) to spend some outside time on nice days. One day while he was out a dog got into our backyard and attacked the chain-link. He couldn't get to my bunny, but he did manage to literally scare my bunny to death. I haven't had a bunny since, but if/when I do he won't be allowed outside unsupervised.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

After being stiffed by my nail technician in MI who wanted to get her sister a cat, I found one that was in desperate need of a home. Took her to the vet (out of my own pocket) and called her to tell her about it. Well, it seems her sister didn't WANT a cat. I was SOOO pissed!!!!

Never again.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank you for helping Mr. Bunny have a humane passing. RIP Mr. Bunny

Thank you and God bless you for helping this little bunny the best you could. At least he knew some love and then had an easy passage from this life.

Rest in peace, little bunny boy. You deserved better.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

And let us not forget the baby chicks or ducks that are so cute, too.

I drove by a feed store the other day, there is was as big as could be, a sign stating that they now have baby rabbits, chicks & ducks.....just in time for Easter, imagine that........
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsnclay View Post

I drove by a feed store the other day, there is was as big as could be, a sign stating that they now have baby rabbits, chicks & ducks.....just in time for Easter, imagine that........
    I saw the same sign by one of the feed stores a couple of days ago, except it was just for chicks and ducks.

This being farm country, I imagine a lot that are bought for "pets", will end up on a farm with the rest of the breeders or egg layers, once they get big and just aren't that "cute" anymore.

Years ago we bought a rabbit for each of the boys for Easter one year. We built a huge pen and it was elevated far off the ground and protected from the elements, and they lived a pretty long life. Later, we had a dwarf bunny who lived in the house, (and loved to have the run of the house too), and he lived to a ripe old age. They definitely are not the pet for everyone, but with the proper care and attention, can bring many years of pleasure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I would go inside and demand to speak to the manager. If they are going to keep that sign up, I'd ask if they are willing to have flyers educating people on the care of these creatures, including info from the House Rabbit Society, etc., and from the local Humane Society so people know where to bring these pets when they are "no longer cute" - chicks and duckling definitely go through an awkward stage, or when the kids "get tired of them," and if the store will make a donation to the Humane Society.

That's just me.
    I've Been Frosted

I totally agree with you Karen. Sweet little angle. Perhaps some good can come of this for other buns.

Jake was a stray bunny too. His owners didn't care he was getting out of their yard. He wound up on the other end of town. The guy next to me had been feeding him and trying to get him for a month. Someone came in and told me he was out there and I just walked out and picked him up.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I saw the same sign by one of the feed stores a couple of days ago, except it was just for chicks and ducks.

I drove past the same feed store again today, and they have changed their sign. All it says now is: "FREE DUCKS". Maybe they aren't selling because people are finally starting to get the message? We can only hope so. Unfortunately, I hate to think of the fate of these "free" ones now! Poor little things.............

Quote Originally Posted by Catsnclay View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

How so sad.. Yes I so aggree..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    ....and a very valid rant at that. Bunnies are like any other house pet. Do not bring them home if you can't care for them. RIP little one. You did the last kind thing for that bunny that could be done.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

RIP little bunny bun.