Thread: Welllll here's a new one for me... any suggestions?

Welllll here's a new one for me... any suggestions?

Yesterday Mable went in to get a Dental done... she did well and made it through the anesthesia, lost 5 of her teeth and the rest are nice and pearly white.

Well, after getting her home I noticed that there was some poo in her crate. I asked doug if he had one of the other dogs go in her crate earlier in the day to rule that part out... well, the answer to that one was 'No'... sooo Mable is incontinent now. I took her outside and she pottied a little bit and there was like... uhhh slimy stuff in there. We carried her inside like normal and put her back in her crate after it was cleaned up and new bedding put in... This morning we woke up to that slimy poop all over in her crate... I brought her to work with me today to watch her... she leaked a little in my car (no biggy).

I am watching her today and if it continues for the next few hours I will go get some fluids to give her under the skin.

Has anyone ever experienced this and what are my options to stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by cane76 View Post
    Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

Sounds like a reaction to the anesthesia, and as long as she's eating normally, it should clear up in a day or so. Otherwise I'd contact the vet, just in case.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you for responding Karen. I am such a worry wort lol... I just never have had any of my dogs do this after anesthesia. She's doing okay now, she's leaking minimally... pretty gnarly if you ask me! haha ( i feel better now that I can laugh about it)

Google that b*tches
    I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back. -Doug

Anesthesia does weird things to some of us critters. I, for example, need a nap after any dentist appointment that uses novacaine, and whatever they gave me - I don't remember what it was - for general anesthesia for the brain surgery I had made me shiver - I was convinced the room was freezing cold despite three blankets, and the nurse, who was comfortable in short sleeves, explained that was just a minor side effect some people experience!
    I've Been Frosted

I did some research on side effects of Canines to anesthesia for dental work. The best I can determine the goo in the stool is excessive mucus that is generated because of the extractions and general trauma to the mouth. That in combination with anesthesia it is not uncommon to have Diarrhea for up to three days. Contact your Vet if things don't improve in a couple of days.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Thank you Koko for that useful info!

Good golly, I thought this girl stunk before I brought her in because of the infection! Now I have to smell poo for the next few days! haha

Google that b*tches

I know Delta had a little bit of mucous on her vulva after her spay. It went away in a day or so though... I dunno if you meant mucous from the vulva or from her butt.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Oh it's more about my dear MABLE!!!!! Give that gal another huge hug from me please! I am glad to be reading that this is a passing event-- OOPS! Hahahaaa