Thread: Volunteering at Shelters

Volunteering at Shelters

My hubby and I are thinking of volunteering at a shelter together on Saturdays. The only one we found that was a "no-kill" shelter is about an hour away from us. I found it really strange that of all the shelters in our county (large) are "kill-shelters", it's very sad to me.

Anyway, I wanted to ask those who do volunteer at a shelter, is it a "kill-shelter" or a "non-kill", how did you find it and how do you feel about it. Do you enjoy your work? Is it really hard seeing all those animals?

Thank you!!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

bump....

If I remember correctly little Basil is a neighbor of ours in San Ramon, right? I'm surprised there aren't any no-kills near you. I don't know of many that aren't no kill other than animal control. I'll see if I can find something.

I volunteered at the SFSPCA for a number of years and found it wonderful. They did a very good job of screening potential forever homes so I always felt good about the animals adopted out. It cured me a bit of wanting to take home every cat I saw! I did work in the outreach program (taking animals to malls etc) so I didn't experience seeing any one animal staying at the shelter a long time or those too sick etc to be adopted so I was spared that heart ache. If there are no no-kills near you, perhaps a taking care of feral cats would be nice. There is Alley Cat Allies that I'm sure could help you.

Claudia

I'm surprised you didn't get more answers on this thread already. Cookiebaker recently posted a similar thread somewhere on the Dog Board. I take my kids to visit the no-kill shelter in our county to socialize with the kittens. Since we have an older mellow cat it is nice to play with some kittens once in a while. The only problem I can think of is that you will want to bring more cute kitties home with you!

shelter

I volunteer at a local shelter near me and also find it wonderful. This one happens to be close to my home, but there are very few of them in the area.

I take animals to nursing homes to visit so I don't experience seeing any one animal staying at the shelter a long time. This shelter also "adopts" animals it cannot find homes for to be part of their "home". There is a cat that has been part of the shelter family for seventeen years.

They also have a website to view new arrivals and post success stories and tell about upcoming events.

I volunteer at a no-kill shelter. There are no kill shelters around me, there's a small pound at animal controll, but they don't accept volunteers. I walk dogs, clean kennels, scoop litter and my favorite--socialize kittens!!!

I get quite attached to some of the animals, but I find it's easier to leave them at a no-kill shelter. The ones that kill me are the dogs who have been there forever. That's actually why I started fostering. Our first fosters were two dogs who had been in the shelter for over a year. The older one got so depressed he stopped eating and had basically given up. We completely failed at fostering them though--We adopted them about six months later

I go in several times a week--the shelter is close to my office, so I can walk dogs on my lunch hour. It's great once the staff knows you--I get access to places and animals the general public doesn't get to see--like a litter of four day old puppies. Course they also call everytime they get a dog they think would fit in my pack!

Enjoy your time volunteering in the shelter. It's very rewarding.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thanks for the replies!

kitten645, We actually live in Southern California...we were planning on moving to the San Ramon area, but are going to Sacramento instead so I can go to UC Davis.

Vermontcat, That is my fear...wanting them ALL. At least now we can't have anymore...our apartment is full...

kittymom, That is so great that you share the dogs with those in nursing homes. I bet they really enjoy that. I would love to do that someday.

Glacier, That sounds wonderful! You have motivated me to hurry up and begin.

Yes, i volunteer at shelter twice a week, grooming cats. It a no-kill shelter where we try to find every animal a home. I enjoy it and love, i would recommend it because it is really rewarding but it is really hard seeing those cats stuck in cages especially the older cats which is harder to find them homes. Once you are volunteering there, it is hard to stop. I fell in love with the cats and I have to adopt them and bring them home. That is the problem when you are volunteering there. But I love the animals and I would do anything for them.

I volunteer at the local Humane Society. They don't have kitty cuddlers any more because of disease spread. I go a couple of times a week to walk the dogs - which is actually safer for me - I am not as likely to bring a dog home. By the way, if anyone lives in the Ottawa, ON area, there are lots of cats for adoption.

I volunteer with a group that has cats at Petsmart and also does fosters. I currently have 2: a feral red female named Dax and a claustrophobic, spastic gray tux named Buddy.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Spca Volunteer

I am a volunteer at the local SPCA , and there are times that it is sad , as when cats who were there, are no longer there because room has to be made for new arrivals. But there is abn upside as when you can help older cats get adopted ,, or bring in toys to help the caged tigers break the motonony of waiting , waiting , waiting for a new home! It is a very rewarding experience , all in all!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Pros and mostly cons

I volunteered for one full year at the MSPCA (kill shelter) It is very stressing. I stayed because I felt sucked in to every meow and purr. I fostered a total of 16 cats, and kept 6 for myself, and 4 crossed the RB. Its very sad to see dozens of innocent litters killed simply because of no room, but you cant save them all. I volunteered 40 hrs a week for a full year, so I knew everything that was going on. It is very rewarding when you save a life, but stressful when approx. 10-30 cats are put down a shift. The next week you think "Fluffy" was adopted, but it turns out he was killed. You cant save them all. I am torn between saying go for it and saying save the heartache. It's good to have folks like us volunteering at those places because we give out love no employee could ever give and those cats deserve that. After a while it hardens you and you get used to seeing the innocent ones go, just please be cautious and don't lose your mind like I did. Overall, except for rescuing my cats from death, it wasn't a very good experience.
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)