Thread: Death of Common Sense

Death of Common Sense

I recieved this Joke about 10yrs ago from a friend. And every so often I like to refer back to it. It may be a joke but to be honest I find it to be so true. Makes you think really. After you read it post your thoughts.

Death of Common Sense

We mourn the passing of an old friend. Common Sense. Common Sense live a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the New Millenium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records long ago were lost in beauracratic red tape.

He selflessly devouted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived trends including body piercing, whole language, and "new math." But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parent when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when a woman, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
    Obituary author unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
    Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
    Obituary author unknown.

Amen.

Amen, This must have been written before "politically correct" became the new
    buzz word. Can you write an amendment?
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I miss him and his relations

Quote Originally Posted by Pawsitive Thinking View Post
    I miss him and his relations
    Me too.

"I'm Back !!"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It went the way of common courtesy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

To quote Einstein "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen".

With Television, the internet, and the cell phone being our new teacher how can
    our young people develop a sense of anything. You would think all these things would bring about more enlightenment but it seems to be failing. I know my two Grandson spend their whole life dedicated to one of these devices. I try to get them interested in the outdoors and other worldly endeavor to not avail. I often give one of my Grandsons a ride to somewhere, but having a conversation while riding is not possible because he is texting the whole trip.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    It went the way of common courtesy!
    Yup, ya right about that one.
    Yesterday, in traffic, which is about ten cars in Armidale during peak hour, I gave way to a lady with a car full of kids exiting from a supermarket parking area. I stopped short to let her out on the road because she looked obviously flustered (not sure if I know anything here to get flustered about), and she drove out without even a glance at me. Too bad for some people eh ??? There little lives must be so miserable.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    To quote Einstein "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen".

With Television, the internet, and the cell phone being our new teacher how can
    our young people develop a sense of anything. You would think all these things would bring about more enlightenment but it seems to be failing. I know my two Grandson spend their whole life dedicated to one of these devices. I try to get them interested in the outdoors and other worldly endeavor to not avail. I often give one of my Grandsons a ride to somewhere, but having a conversation while riding is not possible because he is texting the whole trip.
    Good God, don't mention cell phones. My 17 year old daughter wears one like an earring.

"I'm Back !!"