Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy ending for a stray

Happy ending for a stray

This is a tale with a very happy ending.

About 6 weeks ago, we noticed a new cat wandering into the yard from time to time – black with a small white patch on his chest. He seemed to get along with all our boys, who go in and out. But was very skittish when a human appeared.

Two weeks ago he came one day – and stayed. All day long he hung out with our boys on the front and back porches. Not a squabble was noted. He acted like he wanted to come in the house. Douglas broke down and fed him – and of course, that was all it took. He was permanently affixed to our yard.

I still thought he might belong to someone; he was not undernourished and was not scruffy looking. Then I discovered he was an intact male. So much for hoping he had a family.

We thought he was a great cat, but we have 6 and simply couldn’t take in one more. So on March 4th we took him to the Humane Society

Today he was adopted!!

I called yesterday to see what was going on. The gal said there was a family visiting and she was pretty sure they were going to adopt him. I called back today, and sure enough, they took him home this afternoon. I was on the phone with one of the staff, while another was finishing up the process right there next to him. He called me back to say black cat’s new mama had deciphered the phone conversation. She gave her email address to him and asked him to call and give it to me. I just sent her an email, telling his story. Hopefully I will hear back – and find out his name.

We didn’t name him – then I wouldn’t have been able to give him up. And the Humane Society called him Pierre.

Happy ending – and the best birthday gift I received this year

Happy Birthday! And how great that Pierre has his furrever home because of you. Never hungry again!

I wonder if they will keep his name?

YAAY!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What a sweet story. A great birthday present.

Best wishes to the little guy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

What a happy ending for a sweet kitty. Thank you for taking care of him and getting him the attention he needed for a permanent home. And, Happy Birthday!!

You did good.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

What a good story, Gretchen! I know what you mean about not naming him. I wouldn't name LBK (little black kitty) either for that very reason. LOL How wonderful that Pierre now has a good, loving home w/someone who actually chose him. It must make you feel good, eh?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

That is so awesome! Thank you!!!!!!!

Wonderful news, Gretchen! What a fine ending for a fine story.

Thank you and God bless you for looking after this boy.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I just received an email from Pierre's new mom!!

They have 2 little boys, ages 2 and 4; 3 older dogs and a female cat. Pierre has a bit of an upper respiratory bug, is on medicine - she has him sequestered in one room for now. He wasn't eating real well at the Humane Society, but is chowing down now that he is home. He'll meet his new cat sister when the meds are done. He has seen one of the dogs, and got all puffed up. The dogs are used to cats, and older, and only like to eat and sleep

I didn't feel terrible leaving him at our local Humane Society - other than I wanted to keep him myself! While our shelter is not no-kill, they do everything in their power to reunite lost animals, and adopt the rest. They have a Furry Godmother Fund - donations designated to help sick and injured animals upon arrival. That alone lets you know they try real hard. They recently opened a brand new facility - it's gorgeous!

Excellent story. I hope Pierre settles down well in his new home.
    Well done you!

Thank you for saving the life of this little one, Gretchen, and thanks for the update! Kitty coughs happen so often in shelters; the meds should work just fine. Good job!!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story with us. You did good.

Thats always great to hear about a Cat ^^ who wins the Stray Cat Lottery and finds themselves in a New Furr Ever Home!!
    If only All the Cats and Dogs and other Lost Souls could do as well
    But all we can do is One Lost Pet at a time
    Well Done Grace and theres a Gold Star by your name at the Rainbow Bridge for caring
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I just got another email from Pierre's new mom. I have a huge smile after reading this. Sometimes you feel like a fairy Godmother - this is one of those times

I thought you might like an update on Pierre.

After his time as a stray, he seems determined to live a life of leisure. He has a huge appetite, and has put on a few pounds. We tried to cut back his food a bit, but then he started bullying the dogs and eating their food! He has come a long way from when he first got here and was scared of dogs. He comes to the door often when I let the dogs go potty, but seems content to stay inside and relax. Though he and our other cat Ivy have not become close, they tolerate each other well, with no squabbles.

He adores the boys, and loves the wand toys with the long boa-like feathers on the ends. The back of the couch has become officially his. He has a scratching post in another room, but seems to prefer to hanging out on the couch and watching the boys play. He also enjoys watching the fish. He occasionally puts his nose to the water as though he is thinking of taking a snap at a poor fish who comes up a bit too high, but then gets his face wet and chickens out.

So glad to hear that he fit in so well at his new home. Thought he might
    be ready to settle down somewhere & be a pampered pet when you said how
    mellow he was around your cats outdoors.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt