Thread: Smacking lips? Gnashing teeth?

Smacking lips? Gnashing teeth?

My big boys get into some good wrestling matches (my mom calls it 'sumo wrestling' ), and Cole is the one that makes this sound. He opens and closes his mouth a little ways - looks and sounds like he is smacking his lips.

Oscar doesn't do this.

Anyone seen this? I am sure it is a part of the play fighting, but wondered what it was.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

cats chatter their teeth when they are excited about something but it's usually something they can't get to, like a bird or squirrel seen through a window. Is he meowing before he does this, or twitching/swishing his tail?

here's a video of a meezer chattering his teeth. It's only a few seconds long:
    http://www.maniacworld.com/cat-chattering-teeth.html

Thanks - I know the chatter you are talking about. Our family called it "going rackety-rack" .

This sounds like a lip smacking, and his mouth moves just like he is doing that.

I did read something about it comes from stress or pain...so if he is po'd at Oscar, I guess it happens!

My Cats Do Weird Mouth Things Too

My Ziggy does the chattering when she see's birds and I've also noticed her doing some lip smacking after she eats. She really enjoys her food so maybe she's just trying to savor the taste of her food.

Storm does what I'd call teeth grinding or chewing his cud. He'll sometimes just start making a chewing noise but he's not eating at the time. I've never understood why he does this. A friend of mines male cat does the same thing too.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone in the strange mouthing department.

Cole does what Storm does. A friend of mine who has known cats and dogs forever says the 'gnashing' is a dominance thing.

Cole is not the Alpha...and I think your Storm is, right?

My friend says cats do not assert dominance once and for all in the way dogs do...it is a lifelong process!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Cole does what Storm does. A friend of mine who has known cats and dogs forever says the 'gnashing' is a dominance thing.

Cole is not the Alpha...and I think your Storm is, right?

My friend says cats do not assert dominance once and for all in the way dogs do...it is a lifelong process!
    Very interesting. Yes, Storm is the Alpha and he keeps reminding all of the other cats about this. I know that Pearl wants to also become the Alpha but Storm would have to be gone first. Sky isn't the least bit interested in this position but I'm not so sure about Ziggy because she can be dominant if she has to be.

I also forgot to mention that when Ziggy was sick last summer, I told the vet that along with her not eating and vomiting that she was also smacking her lips. The vet said that cats will sometimes do this when they feel nauseated which I'm sure was the case here.