Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles!

Eagles!

For the first time ever I saw Eagles in the wild right on our property!
    I was outside trying to get pictures of a chickadee coming to my bird feeder when I heard this noise that at first I thought was a vehicle coming down the road with a really squeeky wheel. I realised the sound was coming from above me, looked up to see 2 large birds chasing each other.
    Of course, I followed them and had my camera at the ready.
    I didn't realise what I was photographing until I had a chance to view the pictures on the computer screen in full pixel size, as it was a cloudy day near dusk, the lighting wasn't great plus I was looking way up into the air through the camera lense.
    I was thrilled when I realised what I had photographed.
    The pictures aren't great but you can tell they are Eagles by the white heads and large, yellow beaks:

~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Very cool!!!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

I'm never going to get anything done what with my endeavors to photograph deer, try to see the fox again, trying to sneak up on ducks in the creek and now looking for the Eagles again! I do hope I see them again.

Wow, those are very cool!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks Elyse!
    It was a cool experience!

How beautiful! It must have been a treat to see.
    I have only seen one in the wild, but a little while back I got to meet one that was being rehabilitated at the vet clinic my sister works at.

It was amazing to be able to get so close to one. Even with it being a bit mangled, being in the presence of such a glorious creature was breathtaking.

Fingers crossed that you spot some more eagles! I would love to see more pictures when you do.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

How exciting! Isn't it something how seeing something special like eagles just stops you cold?

We have a red tailed hawk in our area and I don't get anything done
    while he is around. He is too far away for me to take pictures though.

The eagle pictures are cool. It must feel great to see them close up.

I saw a hummingbird up close & personal about 3yrs ago in my back yard.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

WOW! And you got PICTURES!! That was really lucky! Good shots!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

How beautiful! It must have been a treat to see.
    I have only seen one in the wild, but a little while back I got to meet one that was being rehabilitated at the vet clinic my sister works at.
    Oh what a beauty you got to see up close!
    I do hope to see the Eagles here again. I read up on them and they use the same nest for life, so I'm looking in the areas I can walk to on our property but not seeing a nest anywhere. Now that I've confirmed Eagle sighting here, I'm pretty sure what I thought might've been an Eagle last year was, so they've been here at least 2 seasons now.

How exciting! Isn't it something how seeing something special like eagles just stops you cold?

We have a red tailed hawk in our area and I don't get anything done
    while he is around. He is too far away for me to take pictures though.
    It was exciting!
    We have hawks here, as well. In fact, one has been hanging around our yard a lot since the beginning of winter. We've named him/her Hawkeye.

The eagle pictures are cool. It must feel great to see them close up.
    I saw a hummingbird up close & personal about 3yrs ago in my back yard
    Thank you. It was amazing.

We have hummingbird that visit every year here. I plant a few plants to try to draw them and also put out feeders. I never tire of watching them. I also enjoy the challenge of photographing them.
    You can see some of my photography here:
    http://patch57.homestead.com/myphotospage1.html

WOW! And you got PICTURES!! That was really lucky! Good shots!
    Thank you Laura. Hopefully I will be vigilent enough to spot them again for more photos.
    I'm thinking I might be seeing them from my living room window, as I relax on my couch, flying above and following the creek to do their fishing.

Blog Entries
    Those are really greaty photos of the eagles. They could live in a mile radius of your place. They will nest in really tall trees & along cliffs with water running close by. I monitor a nest about half a mile from my house for the DNR. I saw the eagled flying & landing on our farm. I went & took monitoring classes last spring & contacted our neighbors to the north where the nest is in a huge white pine along the cliffs with canoe creek running below. I call them Ole & Lenna. They are a feisty pair & will chase a person out of their territory. I was a good 3 football fields away too. When I monitored them this March, I was on another neighbors property counting Great Blue Heron nests & used my binocs & the two were sitting in a pine tree next to their nest & courting. They do feed their young Blue Heron babies. When I was counting the Blue Heron babies last summer one of the eagles flew by me with a baby Blue Heron in its' talons. They raised one eaglet last summer.

Bonny,
    We have no cliffs here so their nest will have to be in a tree I suppose.
    I read that they usually lay 2 eggs but only 1 Eaglette usually survives as one will push the other from the nest in a battle for food.
    I also read that the adults will lure the babies from the nest with food to teach them to fly, allow them to return to the nest through the summer months but then kick them out at the end of summer.
    Also that they will sometimes snatch geese in flight for food! Wow! Said the Eagle gets under the goose, turns upside down and grabs the goose.
    We have herons and egrets around here, so I guess their babies will be at risk!
    This could be an interesting Spring and Summer if I get out there watching for things!