Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Cat?

Another Cat?

I have one cat Sundance, I was thinking maybe he is lonely since he does not have a playmate, my mom is with him all day so he is not alone. He is 2 years old and I don't want him to be jealous if I bring another cat in (it would be a kitten, another Norweigian Forest Cat). Has anyone had any expierences good or bad? Thanks

I have the same problem with my 11 weeks old kitten. Sometimes I feel guilty for making her feel lonely (but I am not quite sure if she does). Anyway, i am not going to experiment getting another kitten, they may hate each other.

KGeorge...hopefully Jenluckenbach will chime in with me...as she has a multi-multi cat household...introducing a kitten to a two year old should be a very smooth transition. I have six cats..and everyone gets along well, and pairs up with another one. The only downside is that the younger kitty will probably bond more with the two year old than with you...though that hasn't happened to me.

I think two cats is way more easier than one, and with the amount of cats/kittens in need, DO IT!!! Good luck.

I have 4 cats and they get along quite well. I introduced them all a year apart and they all have adjusted. My two oldest and my two youngest paired up. It's so cute to watch them sleeping together and cleaning each other.
    Cats are like potatoe chips-you can never have just one!!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Cats are like potato chips, it's hard to have only one! LOL LOL Done right, introducing a new cat with your current cat shouldn't be a problem. Since Sundance is 2 years old, introducing a kitten would probably be easy as cats seem a little more tolerant of kittens. During the transition period, be sure to lavish attention and praise on Sundance rather than the kitten, so Sundance knows that having the kitten around is a good thing! Good luck, and let us know if you welcome another fur-kid into your home!

Getting a second cat?

I have just 2 words for you

DO IT !!!!

Introducing a kitten to an older cat is always easier than an adult cat to an adult cat. But the later can be done also. I would not want anyone to have just one of any species. Animals need to be around others of their own kind to be the happiest.
    After over 16 introductions, I can honestly say there was never blood shed (LOL) nor any real problems between new and old cats. Some relationships just took a little longer than others.

So I'll be waiting for pictures of your new cat.

Re: Getting a second cat?

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    Animals need to be around others of their own kind to be the happiest. [/B]
    Does this include humans, too, JLB? (sorry, your name is too long, so from this day forward, you are JLB)...if so, I must be more feline than human...he he

I agree - adding another cat should work out fine. There are all kinds of hints on how to introduce the two kitties - for me, I just held and petted my "old" cat, and let a trusted friend bring in the new kitten to play.

Things can go wrong - but then again, it might be a perfect match. So, plan ahead, but don't worry about it too much. Just enjoy them, and the stages of their friendship.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

I totally agree...."do it"!!

Noah (our first cat) is really happy having a play mate to attack and play with...especially while we are gone. Now we have three and it's the perfect number....

Let us know what you decide.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

In response to getting a kitten when you already have a two year old cat...I have experienced the "this is my territory" destruction. He stopped using his litter box in response to my feeding of outside cats. The cats were not even in the house, but he could see them from the window.

I agree that adding a kitten with a kitten is great. I am a strong believer in cats/dogs having someone to play with when their real entertainment (having us serve them) isn't available.

We got Yum Yum at 2 months old shortly after bringing her home my husband wanted a burman kitty so we found one for free. She is 6 years old or so. At first you keep them separated for about a week to two weeks then let them be around each other when you are at home. There was some hissing and growling but not actually fighting. That only lasted a short time. Now they are the best of friends and keep each other company while we are at work.
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Re: Getting a second cat?

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    I have just 2 words for you

DO IT !!!!

.......I would not want anyone to have just one of any species. Animals need to be around others of their own kind to be the happiest.
    Every time I read posts like this I feel guilty - as much as I love cats (I'd take them all in if I could) I've never considered a second cat, and Ritz seems to be a well adjusted pussycat, funloving, healthy and active...

Then I read stories like those of Logan's Mimi and Butter, and that Mimi seemed happier as an only cat...

I don't feel like I am depriving Ritz of anything. She gets very irritated when the neighbor cats come to the back door, which makes me think she would not take kindly to an "interloper" I think that, like people, cats have different personalities - and some may be better suited to solitary living than others....can this be so wrong?

"Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Tuxluvr- you shouldn't feel guilty about just having one kitty cat! The world is full of people with opinions, and nothing is wrong with just having one! You know Ritz best, and maybe being an only cat is what is best! So, just spoil him more than you do already!

I have multiple cats and have been so fortunate with their introductions. But, I think, in a way, having more cats might have stressed Texas out some..yes, he has learned to live with it (and it might be his age, too) but, that was my choice, and I have to live with it.

We all do what we think is right, and best, and at the time, the smartest choice...so, no guilt...since it is such a worthless emotion, anyhow. Instead, why don't you use all your spare time to write loving tributes to the TUXEDOS!!

Tuxluvr,

You are not the only one with an only cat. My cat prefers to be the only cat in the house. She is 14 and set in her ways. She has always been territorial with the neighbors cats coming into our yard. When she was a 1 year old she stayed at my in-laws house with their 2 older female cats and bullied them so they both hid under the beds while she was there.( she was there for a week while we were on our honeymoon)
    I think that male cats and younger cats seem to do better at accepting a new kitten in the house. It does depend on the individual personalities. Good luck to kgeorge, try it and see if it works, you never know until you try. I have tried and my cat said no.

Originally posted by Cataholic
    Tuxluvr- you shouldn't feel guilty about just having one kitty cat! The world is full of people with opinions, and nothing is wrong with just having one! You know Ritz best, and maybe being an only cat is what is best! So, just spoil HIM more than you do already!

We all do what we think is right, and best, and at the time, the smartest choice...so, no guilt...since it is such a worthless emotion, anyhow. Instead, why don't you use all your spare time to write loving tributes to the TUXEDOS!!

Hummm a tuxie tribute .... And Ritzeee wanted me to make sure you know she's a gurl kat...she just checked, and told me she definitely doesn't have any cottonballs

And yes, I do spoil her rotten.....I know that we probably spend more time with her because we know we are a big part of her life too....so, no guilt...or not too much anyway thanx
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"