Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Cat?

The more the merrier, sometimes!

A lot depends on the primary cat. I have three cats. They all like each other now. Miley and Graemer are brother and sister, so they are in love. Gabe now gets along with both cats and I would say that they keep each other busy, if nothing else. I often find them curled up together. So, yes, do find your furry friend a furry friend.

Re: Another Cat?

Originally posted by kgeorge
    I have one cat Sundance, I was thinking maybe he is lonely since he does not have a playmate, my mom is with him all day so he is not alone. He is 2 years old and I don't want him to be jealous if I bring another cat in (it would be a kitten, another Norweigian Forest Cat). Has anyone had any expierences good or bad? Thanks
    As noted in earlier posts...there are times when this is the right thing to do...don't let my comments discourage - in fact, look at Sara-luvs-Tinkey - the almost "match set" of Tinky and Jupiter - these are cats that are from different sources that just look like the yin and yang of pussycatness
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

The most important thing is: how is your life. The more cats you have the more space (and litterboxes) you need (if the apartment is tiny it might ībe difficult for 2 cats). Cats -especially if they do not go outside- are very social people. They are not happy when they are alone too much.

If we have been away a weekend, the catsitter came 2 times per day for one hour. Nevertheless Filou and Tigris are "velcro cats" when we come home and follow us wherever we are. So we feel it is better to have 2. (If your cat has good company most of the day, she or he may not miss anybody.)

They met at 16 and 13 weeks. 3 days they ignored each other and I started to feel desparate. Next thing they started to fight but there was no time to be more desparate because after their fight they fell in sleep in the same basket and started to behave like twins..
    Now they do not sleep together very often but it still happens.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't tell you how many positive changes I've seen in my alpha cat- Taz- since Rocky came to live with us. They're about 6 months apart, so both were kittens when they met. But it was a rough beginning. Be prepared to think you've made a huge mistake. They fought like WWIII and I was certain the little one was going to get squashed! They had to live in separate areas for 2 weeks. Then, one day, in the middle of a supervised fist fight, they got tired and curled up together. Friends since. They still wrestle alot, but its the fun stuff!
    They are much more independent now, don't seem as clingy when I come home from work, and seem just fine if I take a weekend minibreak. My guilt factor is much lower and I honestly believe they are happier in pairs.
    Good luck

2kitties said what I would have if I'd have thought of it. They may fight like cats and dogs at first, but only to find their place in the heirarchy. And it is not always like that. My very first two were like that. Brining in #2 when #1 was a loner was just like the biggest mistake i've ever made, but they became more inseperably than any other two cats I've ever had. 2 kitties I wish you'd talk to moosmom, she may give up on her new cat Boo because of the fighting. See cat rescue "black stray kitty" (sorry, I don't know how to post a link)

I know I was first a little hesitate about recommending someone getting a second cat when the current cat is two...but being the mom of two cats, I can't see going down to just one.
    Especially like 2kitties mentioned, going away for a weekend or even to work, makes it easier on them (and me)...they have someone to talk and play with and in my mind miss us a little less.

I don't know if our out of country friends have access to these, but I would not live without it now...the automatic litter box. It's the one where after they do what they need to do... and it automatically scoops it in a little bin after 10 minutes. It costs a little more (ok, allot more than the average), but the convenience of having one with multiple cats more than pays for itself. In essence, the cats always have a clean litter box.

Introducing new cat to current cat

I have a 17 yr old pretty much blind Siamese who has been my only cat since 6 wks old. My "neighbor" (I use that term loosely, what a scumbag he is) had to move and couldn't (or wouldn't ) take his beautiful TINY 3 yr old Tortie with him, so I rescued her. I don't want to give her up, and currently have them separated in different parts of the house. He had NEVER taken her to the vet! So I took her yesterday to get rid of the fleas! and get all the shots she never had, ever. Of course the jerk didn't bother to spay her either, so by month's end that will happen too. She is a wonderful tempered girl, but my old Siamese is pretty feisty still, and I can see the issues being more on his end than on hers. She lived with both dogs and cats, so I think she would be the easier one here. I have never had to introduce old to new cat ever before, so if anyone can help me out, please do so. Thanks, Barbara

I would introduce them very slowly. Have the new kitty in one room and slowly have them meet. First door to door then close supervision with the place for both cats to go if things don't go well. Slowly increase the time that they are with each other with supervision until you feel safe to leave them both alone without supervision.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

Introducing old cat to new one

Quote Originally Posted by DriftyAlison0 View Post
    I would introduce them very slowly. Have the new kitty in one room and slowly have them meet. First door to door then close supervision with the place for both cats to go if things don't go well. Slowly increase the time that they are with each other with supervision until you feel safe to leave them both alone without supervision.
    Thank you. I have wedged the door between them open an inch; I hope it will help them get each other's scent. I am trying to do some sort of slow introduction; I just pray it all works out, since my old guy is my love, but I would love to be able to keep this little one also, since she has come from a horrible house, and all I want to do is to give her a good new home so that she can find some love with me.

Another cat?

Quote Originally Posted by DriftyAlison0 View Post
    Thank you so much. Currently I have the door between them wedged open about an inch, but since I work I have no idea if they have been exploring each other or not. I plan to put each other's towels in with the other to get their scents mingled, then I have purchase a portable dog kennel that I plan to put the new one in in a few weeks, so that they can actually be face to face, but safely.