Thread: March 16th, RI joins 48 other states! FINALLY!

March 16th, RI joins 48 other states! FINALLY!

As of March 16th, our pet rabies vaccines - dog and cat - WHICH, by the way, are the SAME brand and manufacturer as the rest of you use

Our rabies vaccines will be good for THREE YEARS!

Today, RI and West Virginia only recognize these vaccines for 2 years.

The cost, the extra vet trips for cats -- and a few dogs! - not to mention the biggie: over vaccination of our pets!

Titers show the vaccine is good for 20 years in most cats! We need to pass legislation to recognize titers next.

But for now, I will be thrilled to join the rest of you (unless we have any PT members from WV?) and move my crew to a 3 year cycle.

WOO HOO!
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-06-2010 at 08:10 AM.

hmmm... back when I worked at the vet clinic, the 3year rabies was a totally different vaccine. I don't know what the difference was but it was in a totally different vial. Most people didn't know about it anyway. Frankly they didn't need to. Lord knows some animals never went to the vet for anything other than vaccinations. At least they got a checkup when they came in every year. Plus the registration tags were only good for a year anyway.

Weird!

My vet is across the state line in Mass, so I know for a fact this is the SAME vaccine.

Why would a vet use the "wrong" tag?

Our tags only give the date of vaccination, so you have to figure out the expiration based on where you live.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/ra...3.36f414d.html

Actually I think your state is just saying that they will consider the standard routine vaccination to be good for 3 years. Here the 3-year rabies was a different vaccine than the 1-year. Usually only the people with a lot of dogs asked for the 3 year, like people with big packs of hunting dogs. We didn't promote it a whole lot just to be sure the animals got a check-up at least once a year when they came in for vaccination.

I think in some areas you get 2 tags, one for rabies and one for registration with the county. The county tag was only good for one year, I think. It's been quite some time since I had to register anything so I might still be wrong on that (I'm in a different area now)

I can see where less frequent vaccinations will definitely be beneficial for animals sensitive to them. There was a JRT that came in that always got really sick fromt he rabies shot, so we ended up giving him a half-dose and monitoring him the rest of the day. Right now both of my cats have little knots from vaccinations. I'm getting them checked out again when I come back from vacation. They never had any problems before, but they were given their shots before I adopted them.

I have read in 2 separate books that the 1 year and 3 year are identical. And, throw in the longevity of the vaccine...well, my cats do not get vaccinations any longer. There hasn't been a reported case of rabies in my county for over 30 years. Hate to cry "big pharma" but it is what it is.

Johanna, the only reason I keep up the rabies is, if anything ever happens, I don't want to lose my cat. If they get out and get hurt, get in a fight with a wild animal, etc.

That is why I think we should be able to rely on titers.

I have also stopped vaccinating my cats and they are indoor only. Sky had bad reactions to the FVRCP shot any way. My current vet actually recommended it especially in cats over the age of 10. I do,however,believe in going to the vet with my cats for annual exams which I still do. I know that many people probably wouldn't have their animals checked out annually if they didn't need to get them vaccinated though. There are many places here that have low cost vaccination clinics so the animals aren't receiving annual exams. They do them at most pet stores and even my old vet's office still does them every Saturday during certain hours.

That is great!

My vet won't even SEE a pet unless the rabies is up to date. Doesn't matter if it is an indoor only cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

My vet won't even SEE a pet unless the rabies is up to date. Doesn't matter if it is an indoor only cat.
    Hmmmm...I would find a new vet. I wouldn't understand why your vet has adopted that position. My vet doesn't/hasn't said a word. Now, I wonder if one of my guys goes in for a dental, if it will crop up.

I know that at my former vets that if I had a dental done or another procedure where my animal would have to stay for a while that I had to check off on the form if my animal was current on all of their shots or not. One time I even asked one of the vets if their cat was up to date and they told me that they hadn't vaccinated their cat in quite a long time. They didn't practice what they were preaching.

I'm so lucky at my current vets that I've never had a problem and that my vet stands behind me on the whole vaccination thing. I personally believe that the pharamcutical companies are just trying to make money and also a lot of vets too. I do still believe that all animals should be given puppy and kitten shots and then once they're 1 year old they should also be given the adult shots. After that if cats are indoor only then I don't see why they should have to continue. Since dogs do go outside, I do see why they would need rabies at least every 3 years or so and maybe a few other shots as well.