Thread: Almost 100 dogs brought from Tennessee rescue to Chicago

Almost 100 dogs brought from Tennessee rescue to Chicago

I saw this on the news last night. The reporter said the dogs are mostly poodles and Yorkies. The Anti-Cruelty Society isn't ready to receive inquiries from potential adopters yet, because the dogs must receive physicals and appropriate health care (including immunizations), have their personalities assessed and the staff determines which ones can go home first (what types of homes - with kids, other pets, etc.) and which will stay there for more care before they can be cleared for adoptions. The reporter said the first ones will be ready for new homes in about 1-2 weeks or so - and that people should watch the Anti-Cruelty Web site, because they will post a message when the dogs are ready but until then, please no calls yet. The Anti-Cruelty staff felt that most could go to either an apartment or a bigger home once they're ready, because they are mostly smaller dogs. And for people who care about this but don't wish to adopt, they always accept donations and inquiries about volunteer applications. It was a good story.

Thank you for letting me share,
    Elyse

Rescued Dogs Arrive In Chicago
    By Dick Johnson
    NBC5 News
    Updated 10:37PM CDT, Monday, April 26, 2010

While their faces are certainly cute, their life stories decidedly are not.

Nearly 100 dogs, mostly designer breed puppies, arrived in Chicago Monday night for what is hopefully the beginning of a better life.

Rescued last week during a raid on a 1,200 square foot home in Tennessee by the Humane Society's Puppy Mill Talk Force, the dogs travelled to Chicago in a specially-outfitted trailer the length of three large SUVs.

"These animals are very relieved," said Justin Scally, the Manager of the Puppy Mill Talk Force for the U.S. Humane Society. "There's a noticeable difference from the time that they were removed from the puppy mill and were placed in the emergency shelter, and each day they have gotten better."

Several dozen Anti-Cruelty Society volunteers were at the ready, welcoming the pups home and beginning the unglamorous work of cleaning the dogs and clearing them medically before placing them up for adoption.

While some could be ready for adoption in a few days, the skittish among them could be housed longer until they're more social.

"First we have to calm them down, then feed them and do medical checks and give the kind of care and attention they need," said Anti-Cruelty Society President Dr. Robyn Barbiers.

Nationwide, the Humane Society last year raided a dozen puppy mills and rescued 3,700 dogs and cats. Last week's raid at Gayla's Poodle Palace in Sparta, Tenn., saved 225 designer dogs. Eighty-two of them were well enough to be transported to Chicago. Nashville and Bowling Green, Kentucky also received some of the animals.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...#ixzz0mMB6bYXI
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I'm so glad for those pups to be out of harms way. I hope they all find good homes.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

They should have kept driving due north to where there's more demand than supply. One of these years I've got to go south with a van and load it with dogs to bring back and adopt out.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Puppy Mill Poodle Update

From the Anti-Cruelty Society's Web site. How big a deal is a luxating patella - is it painful to the dog; does it limit his/her mobility; can it be repaired surgically? What do you do about poor dental health other than feed the proper diet and get regular check-ups - how do problems with existing teeth get fixed (do bad doggie teeth always require extraction)? What about heart murmurs- what could those be a symptom of?

Thanks,
    elyse

------
    80 of the 220 poodles and poodle mix dogs from the puppy mill raid in Sparta, Tennessee (April 23, 2010) were received by The Anti-Cruelty Society representatives Monday, April 26, 2010.

The dogs are being given time to adjust to their surroundings. They have been bathed and our staff veterinarians are in the process of examining the dogs. Our staff behaviorists will then perform a behavior screening on each of the dogs. As they are cleared medically and behaviorally, the dogs will be made available for adoption.

These are adorable dogs, many of them have medical conditions, such as heart murmurs, luxating patellas (kneecap), and/or poor dental health due to improper diets. Many of these dogs will need extra care throughout their lives. This means in addition to the normal annual cost of having a pet (which is approximately $800 for a cat and $1,000 or more for a dog) the adopter can expect to incur additional veterinary costs. The dogs have been living in conditions that did not provide proper socialization, so if you are considering adopting one of these dogs, you will need patience, love, and understanding as they experience a whole new world and life.

As they are made available for adoption, their photos will be included on our Web site as well as on Pet Tango, our adoption partner Web site. Please DO NOT CALL us. We are not able to put any of these dogs on hold. We are open for adoptions Monday through Friday from Noon until 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sundays from Noon until 5 p.m.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678