Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cat-proof your house?

another thing I thought of tonight. cats like to sleep next to the chair that you are sitting in, so if it is one with wheels...WATCH OUT! twice I have just barely missed rolling over Patches' tail or one of his feet!

I love this site because it does make me feel normal...I am not the only one out there kitty and puppy proofing my house or pet patrol before I leave.

Dawn loves the plants I had to put the pepper in them for her to finally stay away from them...spray bottle didn't even phase her...gave me the tortitude look and waited for more.

Slushy loves to play with pens. We can't leave them just sitting on the desk (she now does desk patrol looking for them), she will work at opening the desk drawer by hanging over the edge trying to work on the handle.
    My husband gave her a pen cap when she was a kitten and got her hooked. Now most of the pens in this house have the little ink thing taken out and are a "pen skelton" for Slushy.

hee hee...this thread is too great! So useful too!

We do most of the stuff above...

*Noel & Basil have gotten stuck in the closet a few too many times....now I learn to check EVERYWHERE for all three kitties before I leave the house...now...to train hubby to do the same thing...

*The chair thing....Noah and Basil love to hang out behind our desk chair while we are on the computer. We HAVE to look down and remove them or they loose a lot of fur. (Poor Noah )

*Ours think plants are there strictly for them to eat and knock over. When my hubby or friends send me flowers, I can only have one vase at a time because I only have one high-up place I can put them.

*Covering food and especially knives and sharp objects in the kitchen, just in case.

You know, I've never noticed that we do all the stuff we've all mentioned....it just is part of living with our precious cats and dogs. I'm SO glad there are other "crazy cat moms" like me!!

...RIP, our sweet Gini...

These are all great suggestions! But I'm with Sara.. I must have pretty well behaved cats. I have two plants in the house. I used to have more but I killed them because I forget to water them all the time. Once I caught Nutmeg chewing on it, and I squirted her with the water bottle. She didn't know it was me (her back was to me) and she thought the PLANT squirted her! So she started doing the godzilla (the stance where they sit back on their honches and swing with their two front legs at something) on the plant, and I started laughing. She started to go to chew again so I squirted again, and since she has pretty much left it alone. They all try to test me from time to time, but I am pretty consitent. Then again, I have NO clue what they do when I leave them alone on weekends!!!

Bassett eats rubber bands so I have to keep those hidden away, but I can leave stuff on the kitchen counter without worrying because they know they aren't allowed up there.

I've been able to light candles, but I just watch them the same way I would if I didn't have cats

The only thing that I can really think of is when my boyfriend comes to visit, and I'm paying attention to him and not Bassett, we have to make sure his suitcase is zipped up and off the floor, because Bassett pees in it It's her way of saying, "Mom.. look at me I'm over here! Pay attention to me!!" I also have to keep my laundry in a closet or in a hanging bag so she can't pee in that. She also will pee in boxes so I get rid of those as soon as I don't need them.