Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Pets is Too Many???

How Many Pets is Too Many???

New Animal Planet series

We are producing a new series for Animal Planet about people who own a lot of animals.

Some brand them as “animal hoarders.” We want to get to know them as people. We want to experience the special relationship they have with their pets and understand why they do what they do. We also recognize that trying to care for too many animals can sometimes be overwhelming. There can be financial burdens, health issues, family conflicts, even the run-ins with authorities. We want to see how animal lovers - and their families - deal with these challenges.

We also want to offer help. We have the resources to provide free veterinary care, spaying and neutering, even food if required. We will not force anyone to do anything they don’t want to do. We will not report anyone to any authorities. If help is needed, we want to find solutions that work for everybody.

Our goal as TV producers is to tell true stories about people who are often misunderstood – and if we can, to address issues that are too often ignored. To learn more, contact us at [email protected] – or call us at our toll free number: 1-877-MY8-PETS.

I have heard from Lisa, and she's not a spammer. She works with Animal Planet, and would honestly love to hear from some of you that have multiple pets.
    I've Been Frosted

Ok so Lisa what are some of the things you are wanting to ask & or know?? I myself have a multi home of cats.. Might I say Special Needs Handicapp Babies.. I do like Animal Planet & would support them with info in anyway if it helps..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

More Information

Hi! I am so glad you are interested! We are very interested in the unique bond that people have with their pets. We find that they are often misunderstood. We want to tell their story about the relationship that they have with their pets. Some questions that we are asking are:

How Many Pets? What kinds-names, ages, breeds?

When did your love for animals start?

Bring us through your day-to-day activities.

Do you remember a specific memory about one of your pets from childhood and present day?

Do you have a favorite?

What is your living situation currently?

What about you!? What do you do, age, occupation...?

I hope this answers your question! If you know anyone who have 15 or more pets I would love to hear about it!

And at the Found Cat Hotel there are 8 Cats , and some Porch Cats.
    Sadly I dont have cable as I dont like whats on TV and the money gooes to a Vet Fund for My Senior Kittyzens, and for when there are BOGO Deals.

I get stares when I say how many Cats are here , but they are all loved and cared for,
    Coupons for Cat Food and Litter would always be welcome especially for A/D and Wellness!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I have five cats (was six, but one passed away in September.. may soon be six again) ..in a two-room apartment. Three of mine are special-needs cats (disorders with mobility and balance).. if I get another, it probably will be too.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I have five cats (was six, but one passed away in September.. may soon be six again) ..in a two-room apartment. Three of mine are special-needs cats (disorders with mobility and balance).. If/when I get another, it probably will be some type of special needs too.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am EVER so relieved to hear the cutoffs is fifteen. Makes me feel better about my nine dogs!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Lisa,

This is a great way to show people that even though they have many pets, does not necessarily mean they are classified as hoarders.

I have 5 cats right now, all rescues. I will soon have 7, as my dear friend Clare, died at the age of 96 after a bad fall. Clare lived in East Dorset, VT and had two kitties, KitKat and Freckles. Kitkat was my very first cat, Mollie Rose's mama and Freckles was her sister. KitKat is 17 and Freckles is 16. Clare's daughter Bonnie called me with the news and said that her Mom asked that I adopt the cats, as I am the only one she trusts.

My cats are:

Maya Linn, 11 years old - Seal Lynx Point Torbie with white. She was found in a dumpster at the air port in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Shortie, 11 years old (show name Little Mews Faberge) is the most beautiful calico in the world. I met her at a cat show as I was carrying her back from the judging ring with another cat. Both cats hated each other and I would up getting bit by Shortie. It was love at first sight.

Murphy - a 15 year old tiger tabby I rescued from the Connecticut Humane Society just before she was to be euthanized. She's a cranky old lady at times, but I love her.

Bad A$$ Buddy - a 3 year old orange and white hell on wheels. A woman who was going into a battered women's shelter couldn't take her cat. I offered to foster him until she found a place of her own. She never came back for him.

Lucie Noel Lu - a 6 month old tortie found wandering the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. Keeps Buddy on his toes and has someone to play with.

I lost Mollie Rose a tortoiseshell in September to Kidney Disease. She was my very first cat, my "heart" cat. When she died, I was devastated.

Then there was my absolutel soulmate, MooShoo. He was a Sphynx, one of 5 rescues from a terrible breeder.He was blind in one eye and had limited vision in the other. I loved my Shooman like no other. One night I woke up and heard yowling. MooShoo was on the floor. It was the worst night of my life. 1 a.m. I rushed him to the vet. Unfortunately, by the time I got him there, he was gone. He had a blood clot that went to his legs. He was 10 years old. My heart was shattered and I'm still, to this day, devastated.

MooShoo slept under the covers with his head on HIS pillow, as I would wrap my arms around him and go to sleep with my face burrowed in his skin drifting off to the lull of his purr. Shortie would come yowling, looking for him. Once she knew where he was, she curled up next to him and went to sleep. They had a very unique bond. MooShoo and I would go for walks in the park in back of my apartment building in his little cat buggy. People, especially the children, would stop us and ask me all sorts of questions about him. The kids were fascinated by him. He loved the attention. He was a real people cat.

I've had many cats in my life come and go, having been in animal rescue for over 13 years.

If there are any more questions you'd like answered, please let me know.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    I am EVER so relieved to hear the cutoffs is fifteen. Makes me feel better about my nine dogs!
    or eleven birds! I actually emailed Lisa and told her about my flock. It was a good opportunity to take a look at how I actually ended up with 11 birds in my house and how my heart got stolen by birds in the first place.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

15 is the cut-off? Pretty much gives me license....

Hi Lisa,
    Just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to address the issue of multiple animal households. Currently I have 24 cats and 2 dogs. No, I do not consider myself a hoarder, although I am sure some do. I do know that their are definitely people who are true hoarders. I live in a county that does not have a shelter for abandoned cats. Most of the cats that I have rescued would not be alive today if I would not have said "well, just one more." I don't have the time to list all their names and how I came to take them in. They are ALL loved very much and have become my "kids". I spend a small fortune on vetting (all are spayed/neutered and current on shots) and food. I would love to go back to just 1 dog and 2 cats but I don't see that happening for a very long time. I have finally said absolutely no more and plan on sticking to that. It is a shame that so many people consider these precious animals as disposable and people like myself take them in and become labled as either "the crazy cat lady" or "hoarders" because we can't stand to see an animal in need. I'd love to hear what you and the Animal Planet have in the works to show "our" side of the story.

Mary

As you can see Lisa i come from down under New Zealand, we have hoarders here too, personally to me a hoarder is not about how many pets you have, but whether you take care of them properly, it does not matter how many you have as long as they are taken care of.,i see hoarders as people who have way too many pets, but cannot take care of them as they should be.

I did have four kitties recently loosing one,I only ended up with this many as i rescued two from a bad owner ,who was letting them breed continuously in our neighbourhood,not feeding them or taking care of them when needing vet treatment etc.

Good luck with your TV programme, should be really interesting.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Carole, you put it perfectly on the difference between a hoarder and just a family with multiple pets. Thank you!

You are most welcome, that is how i see it and i think that is how it is.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️