Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many Pets is Too Many???

At this time we have 19 in house. We lost lily yesterday. 5 are fosters of htse 1 is feral that we are trying to socilize. The CREW goes from a tri-pod (Demetri), Deaf (Precious), blind (Dobe), big (Maincoon 26 lb) to small at 4.1 lb
    During a transport we have had up 35 in house for a week.
    I would not consider that we are horders at all.
    GILL & Crew;

At the heyday of the Found Cat Hotel there were 13 Cats,
    Then old age claimed Bo Bo , Moose the MagnfiCat , Precious and Sam, Pouncer and Mr Scrappy.
    And the Cats I got from a breeder had flaws and Rocca, John Hancock and BJ all passed on around 10.
    That makes me worried about Miquelito and Pouncierge who are hitting 5 I believe , she has never set the papers she claims she has.
    Hmmm?
    I love my 8 Found Cats and travel all over the City to get the best deals on Cat Food!!
    I am on limited funds but My Ctas eat as well as I can afford.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I am so with you on the numbers.. Thank you Carole for your positive input as well.. I as well as Gill's household have = Deaf, Blind, Tripods, One Eyed, Deformed Limb & CH (brain disorder) & Cattitude Babies in my Loving Household.. My door is always open to Special Needs Babies.. I call them God's Gifted Wittle Angels.. I so Love them All..
    Quote Originally Posted by Purr-tender View Post
    Hi Lisa,
    Just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to address the issue of multiple animal households. Currently I have 24 cats and 2 dogs. No, I do not consider myself a hoarder, although I am sure some do. I do know that their are definitely people who are true hoarders. I live in a county that does not have a shelter for abandoned cats. Most of the cats that I have rescued would not be alive today if I would not have said "well, just one more." I don't have the time to list all their names and how I came to take them in. They are ALL loved very much and have become my "kids". I spend a small fortune on vetting (all are spayed/neutered and current on shots) and food. I would love to go back to just 1 dog and 2 cats but I don't see that happening for a very long time. I have finally said absolutely no more and plan on sticking to that. It is a shame that so many people consider these precious animals as disposable and people like myself take them in and become labled as either "the crazy cat lady" or "hoarders" because we can't stand to see an animal in need. I'd love to hear what you and the Animal Planet have in the works to show "our" side of the story.

Mary

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

The Dunn gang consists of 14 cats (all indoor), all rescues or mom's failed attempts at fostering. In addition we have 4 dogs (indoor at night and most of the day) and 2 cockateils. I also do feral colony cat care and have about 30 that I care for doing that. This was the first year I didn't have kittens as I managed to spay/neuter all of them last year. It does get expensive, but well worth every penny we spend. We just lost our lab after a battle with necrosis from an injury. That bill as $1400 and that was with my vet of 25 years giving us a discount. I wouldn't have it any other way. I just wished I lived in the country and I would have more.
    Heaven is the place of final and complete happinees God has prepared for us----and if animals are necessary to make us happy in heaven, then you can be sure God will have them there. Reverend Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    As you can see Lisa i come from down under New Zealand, we have hoarders here too, personally to me a hoarder is not about how many pets you have, but whether you take care of them properly, it does not matter how many you have as long as they are taken care of.,i see hoarders as people who have way too many pets, but cannot take care of them as they should be.

I did have four kitties recently loosing one,I only ended up with this many as i rescued two from a bad owner ,who was letting them breed continuously in our neighbourhood,not feeding them or taking care of them when needing vet treatment etc.

Good luck with your TV programme, should be really interesting.
    Carole, I also think you are absolutely right on the difference between a hoarder and a family with multiple pets. Thank you for expressing it so well.

And it is deeply moving and heartwarming to me to see how many wonderful families-with-multiple-pets we have right here on Pet Talk!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I have 3 dogs and 1 cat Of my own. My Room mate has 3 dogs 2 cats. So we have a total of 9 here. Lol We are in a 2bedroom Apt.
    I have always had a Cat since I was a child..so not having one was not a option. It took me pver 3 weeks of daily Shelter visits all over the area to find the purrfect one.
    The 3 dogs I have now.. are all Rescues. My Oldest is a 10yr old Pitbull. He came from a ad in the paper..and my curiosity in the breed. I went to "Just look" And came home with him 9 yrs ago! He is my Heart and soul!
    My next 2 are both 5 yrs old. But Falise I have had since she was 5 mo old. She was handed to me on the street in a bad area of town. Long story.. that if ure interested in.. I can tell ya. Lol She is a Freak,and we call her a "Pill head". The first year we had her.. she was hospitalized 3 times due to finding prescription meds in the house..and eating them.. :-/ But she has some serious Separation anxiety from me. And is Super protective of me.
    And my most recent is Jade. She is a Blue/white Pit. And a female version of my 10yr old, Tyson. We adore her. She is also a big deal for me! I couldn't live without her. She was a "Foster" through a rescue grp. I have had her over a yr now. She has on going medical problems due to neglect. And she would be very difficult to adopt out and trust she would be cared for. So we kept her. Not that we mind!

My Roomie has 3 Chi's and her 2 cats.

And All the dogs get along beautifully! And Cats! lol

7. As long as all the animals are happy an being taken cared of i dont count it as hording. hording animals to me is when someone can no longer take care of the animals they have but yet dont seek out help to take care of them,, an stil keep getting more animals. thats hording in my book.

when i was growing up we had 12dogs at our place. not all of them were ours,, some were friends dogs we were looking after while they were in college. that was fun an a bit of a challenge at the sametime. kudos to those who take care that many animals an more. it really is rewarding to do so if you can

You have too many pets if you can't feed them quality food, give them vet care, and keep them in a sanitary environment. Also, if you are putting them in jepardy by having more than the law allows, you have too many pets.

I think most of my family used to think I was a rat/mouse hoarder. Anytime I'd get a call about a rodent being abandoned, home it came. However, they were quarentined, kept in cages of the proper size or larger for their numbers, cleaned daily, and I constantly researched better foods. Now I don't have any rodents though. I think if I were a hoarder I would still be taking them in.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton