Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Berry gets 30 months in prison for killing his neighbors kitten...

Kyle Berry gets 30 months in prison for killing his neighbors kitten...

The Kyle Berry trial was yesterday. I stayed home in the morning and got a call from my two friends who, like me, have been following this horrible man from the beginning.

Read on so you get a better idea of what kind of man we're dealing with:

http://hartfordadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=13445

His lawyer asked for yet another continuance which Judge Scheinblum (my hero, the hanging judge) denied. He plead not guilty with the Alford Doctorine which means the state has enough evidence to prove his guilt.

The victim (the grandmother of the little girl who owned the kitten) stood up and spoke. Berry showed absolutely no remorse whatsoever.

Then the defense attorney (a REAL piece of work) pulled the "my client is a good man, a man who served in desert storm, with three young sons, blah, blah, blah. I was ready to puke at that point.

What the hell kind of message is this jerk sending to his three boys??

The judge and the prosecuting attorney stood firm and sentenced him to 12 months for violation of his probation and 18 months for killing the cat.

WOOHOO!!! FINALLY, a judge that listens!!! If I could've slapped a lip lock on him to thank him, I would have.

Buh-bye dirtbag!!! I hope you become someone's biatch in prison.
    Last edited by moosmom; 02-24-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

That's one less low-life running around loose. This creepazoid deserves only the best that prison life has to offer. Hmm, maybe he'll get to share a cell with an animal lover who will be more than happy to teach him the error of his despicable ways by demonstrating first hand what that poor kitty suffered. This couldn't happen to a more deserving *#!^%# (insert your own expletives).

Donna, is there any chance of his filing an appeal?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Donna, I hope this "lower than pond scum" gets a taste of what he's been doing all this time. As someone else said I hope his cellmate is an animal lover!

My thoughts, unfortunately, are. . .does someone like this ever change? Does prision make any difference other than making him harder and more insane? Will he be psychoanalized or anything? What about the idea that people who kill animals often take it further and continue killing?

He disgusts me, but what will stop him from doing it again when he gets out of prison angrier and more despicable than when he went in? Are his children like him? It's awful!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

As we were leaving, Berry's family started yelling at us!!! They should be yelling at the judge and prosecuting attorney. Berry's father's friend starting in on me, saying "Get a life, lady!!!" Not one to walk away from something like that, I said, "I HAVE a wonderful life, trying to keep pigs like Kyle in jail!!! Oh yeah, and it's not behind bars either!! Can Kyle say that???" Then his douche bag wife came running after me complaining about all the cats the woman had and how she was going to call the ACO every time one of their cats steps on the Berry's property. I told her to do that and have a nice day. Kill 'em with kindness is my motto. I'll post the Journal Inquirer story after it gets put up on their website.

Both Scheinblum and Prosecuting Attorney Dubois are animal lovers and have animals themselves.

I was amused while watching the defense attorney try to pull every single trick out of his butt to keep his client out of jail. I LOOOOOVE watching lawyers squirm.

One thing that kinda pissed me off was when they used the "Desert Storm" card. That to me, was a slap in the face of every red blooded American that is over in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. fighting.
    Last edited by moosmom; 02-24-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Not enough time but better than none at all I guess, most folks like that progress to humans...very scary.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I am glad he is in jail.
    I've Been Frosted

Wow, yeah it is a good thing he is in jail, its too bad it's for such a short time though, people like him will just come back out of jail and do the same thing over...he is a pure idiot with no heart.

I hate hearing about animal abuse It's so sad, animals are so helpless compared to us, and most of them trust us, which is even sadder, specially when an animal would walk up to someone like him with trust and then be hurt

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Good riddance to bad rubbish.. for a while, anyway. Have fun in jail, you dirtbag!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Here's the article that apeared in the Journal Inquirer

Enfield man gets 2½-year prison term in killing of neighbor’s cat
    By Laura F. Alix
    Journal Inquirer
    Published: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:27 PM EST

ENFIELD — A local man was sentenced in Superior Court on Tuesday to 2½ years in prison for kicking his neighbor’s cat to death and violating the terms of his probation in doing so.

The man, Kyle Berry, 44, of Bailey Road was sentenced to serve 18 months in prison on one count of maliciously killing an animal and a year for violation of probation.

“I don’t think we see any cases that are more viscerally offensive than animal cruelty cases,” Assistant State’s Attorney Keith DuBoff said during the sentencing.

Berry was arrested Nov. 1, 2008, when his neighbor, Annette Smith, called police to report that her 12-year-old granddaughter saw Berry kick her cat in the face, pick it up, throw it, and kick it again.

Berry later admitted to police that he kicked the cat because it was sitting on his front step, growling at him, and wouldn’t move when he tried to nudge it away.

According to the affidavit supporting Berry’s arrest, the cat died en route to the veterinarian, and a necropsy found it had died of “liver trauma with internal abdominal hemorrhage” caused by the kick.

At the time of his arrest in the cat killing case Berry had been on probation for less than a week on a charge that he had kicked a police dog.

In Superior Court on Tuesday Berry admitted to violating his probation and pleaded to the animal cruelty charge under the Alford doctrine, meaning he doesn’t agree with all the facts of the case but acknowledges the state has enough evidence to win a conviction at trial.

Patrick Tomsiewicz, Berry’s lawyer, provided the court with the results of a polygraph test on Berry, a psychological evaluation, and Berry’s military record.

The polygraph test showed Berry was not deceptive when he said he didn’t intend to kill the cat, and the psychological evaluation showed he didn’t suffer from any mental illness or post-traumatic stress disorder that may have affected his actions toward the cat, Tomsiewicz said.

But Tomasiewicz maintained that Berry’s military service during Desert Storm may have still left him “desensitized in some way.”

DuBoff did not take into account the polygraph test or the psychological evaluation, but said he believed Berry should be entitled to some credit for his military service.

Still, neither DuBoff nor Judge Howard Scheinblum minced words during the sentencing.

DuBoff said he had advocated Berry receive jail time in his first animal cruelty case in the kicking of the police dog, but Berry ended up with probation instead.

DuBoff said he wasn’t recommending probation in the cat killing case because he didn’t believe it would deter Berry from this kind of crime. He also said he didn’t believe Berry would make the same mistake again after having served a prison sentence.

Berry’s father, William Berry, defended his son in court.

“Kyle isn’t the type of person they have tried to prove he is. He has three children. He has animals of his own, which he has not mistreated. He’s not a vicious person,” William Berry said.

But Smith said Kyle Berry’s actions had hurt her family.

“The cat was a member of our family. It was our pet, and we loved it,” she said.

“I’m a pet owner, so I understand,” Scheinblum responded.

Tomasiewicz maintained that his client didn’t intend to kill the cat, and when given the chance to speak, Kyle Berry affirmed that.

“I did not intend to kill the cat,” he said.

But Scheinblum appeared not to be swayed by his statement.

“Don’t the injuries suffered by the animal prior to its expiration kind of belie the polygraph?” Scheinblum asked. “If this was a human being instead of a cat, there would still be a manslaughter (charge).”

Kyle Berry had been held in pretrial detention unable to post bond in the case since last April and the time he’s already spent behind bars will count toward the sentence imposed on him Tuesday.

Several animal rights advocates have diligently followed the case in court, appearing at every one of Kyle Berry’s court date to show their support for tough sentences for animal abusers.

After the sentencing, they expressed happiness at the sentence and praised Scheinblum and DuBoff.

“This judge is the best,” said animal rights activist Donna Ploss, who lives in East Hartford. “We couldn’t have asked for a better judge or prosecuting attorney. I didn’t see one ounce of remorse. What kind of example is that man setting for his three sons?”

Quote Originally Posted by Catherinedana View Post
    My thoughts, unfortunately, are. . .does someone like this ever change? Does prision make any difference other than making him harder and more insane? Will he be psychoanalized or anything? What about the idea that people who kill animals often take it further and continue killing?

He disgusts me, but what will stop him from doing it again when he gets out of prison angrier and more despicable than when he went in? Are his children like him? It's awful!
    That's a hard one to answer. My daughter tells me that some guys come out of the system ok, and others don't. I guess that's the way it always will be.
    Some people, like Berry, are probably just aggressive and cruel by nature.
    Meds sometimes quieten them down, but after they get out, they throw the meds in the bin.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.. for a while, anyway. Have fun in jail, you dirtbag!
    You know, we should do the poor fellow an favour. Start a special PT fundraiser to keep him in good supply of very slippery soap, so he can give it to his new boyfriends to use on him

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Then the defense attorney (a REAL piece of work) pulled the "my client is a good man, a man who served in desert storm, with three young sons, blah, blah, blah. I was ready to puke at that point.
    Awwwwww, he was in Desert Storm ??? So what ??? That gives him the right to kick cats ???? Geez, they should have locked his lawyer up with him.

"I'm Back !!"

At last he's where he belongs! Unfortunately, it's doubtful that he'll have changed while in prison but at least he'll be off the streets for a while and won't be killing cats.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

The man has an anger management problem. He's got a restraining order against him by his ex-wife. He has a long history with the Enfield Police Department. Him spending time in prison is gonna make him even more pissed off.

Two of my advocate cronies asked their names not be mentioned in the paper for fear of retaliation. Berry has a bunch of his "homies" there in court as well.

Personally, I'm just glad the whole damn thing is over with.